VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to the business. Am I crazy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's my last bit O advice, my friend. You are not demo ready! Don't look at investing money and time on better demos. A bad demo closes more doors than a good one opens.

Now, if your goal is to dabble in vo, with a philosophy that any lil nibble or gig that comes your way is fine, then by all means follow your gut and go with your flow.

If your goal is to have a career in vo, stop marketing or even thinking about demos. Get thee to a great acting class. Find a technique that connects with you. Get a solid acting foundation. Study improv. Then, study vo. Observe and research the working actors of vo. It's easy to weed through the BS. Go to the best in the biz. You will find them on Voicebank. Connect with them. Study their marketing. Get a feel for what professional vo demands and expects. When it's demo time you will know it. The confidence is like a slap in the face. Then make those demos, invest in the home studio, get that website. Be ready, be brilliant. This business craves brilliant. They have no need for mediocre. And even the brilliant have no guarantees. But their odds are better than the mediocre.
Mushmelon
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explode
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any coaches on the board? Especially those that would be looking for new students?
kevinpowe
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much help with Audacity questions, but I can give you a suggestion on that question, Paul!

I'd highly recommend Scott Burns (http://bookscottburns.com/#classes) - he's based out of Seattle, but provides coaching over the web as well. Jeffrey Kafer introduced me to him back in 2010, and I've gone all the way from Melbourne, Australia to Seattle three times now to create demos with him. He's fantastic.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a "coach" with credible acting experience, credible acting training and credible acting credits.

I know or am aware of lots of truly delightful people in this business who offer coaching and demos. Whilst these people know marginally more than their students that's not saying much.

Essential "new to VO" skills.

BS detectors set to 100%
Set solid, achievable financial targets and then get help from those who have demonstrable proof of moving people towards them. "Woot, he was awesome and I learned so much" is nice but MEANINGLESS "2 years after training with Maresh Vindaloo I have cleared all my debts and my wife is busy running up more" IS MEANINGFUL!
When someone tells you to do something, do it. Debating is for college.
Comprehension is a must. Listen to what people say as more often than not they say nothing of value. When you ask a question ensure you get your answer not a reply.

Last year in New York and LA I spoke to around 50 people. The topic was designed to double their VO income in 2 years using proven, tried and tested methods which were both tried and tested and proven. Most didn't listen, even more went away and did nothing except book themselves on the next VO event which would take their careers to the next level. Couldn't help? No they wouldn't be helped. The upside is that thanks to the money I lost on the events my tax bill was $2.78 for the year. HOORAH!

First rule of voice over work - Ensure you are not intellectually deaf, lazy or just plain stupid. Trust is fine, blindly trusting someone with your future will never work.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noting the post from the previous page:
Thank you Bailey. I've just excised the offending material.

Paul— DO NOT QUOTE WHOLE POSTS.
Read the rules— Bailey posted the link.

And "Fake it till you make it" does not work in a profession that requires actual skill.

I haven't read this whole thread— kinda lost the will to live— so I will tell you this: You have 4-7 seconds to impress me when I am casting. I can smell a rat straight out of the gun and I have no time for fakery. I will ONLY EVER choose people I trust, even if it's just for exertions in a game.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what db said --- usually it doesn't even take 4 seconds.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
I haven't read this whole thread— kinda lost the will to live—

Just read ALL of my stuff as nothing I've written is based on fact, makes any sense at all but is hugely entertaining.

My contributions could be summed up thus - Fragrant!
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulstefano wrote:
I think what I'm struggling with is the perception in media lately that it's better to be first than right.

Well, given that eleventy billion voice talents have come before you, I'd say that ship has sailed. So take your time and focus on doing it right.

Interesting that you've auditioned for audiobooks. Make sure you actually want to do one. They are a real slog, specially for the inexperienced.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jeffrey Kafer"]
paulstefano wrote:

Interesting that you've auditioned for audiobooks. Make sure you actually want to do one. They are a real slog, specially for the inexperienced.

I think I get that. I've done a couple of 10 minute long auditions and I see how the work could multiply. Having said that, I'm actually getting attention there. I was contacted by 1 author who found me by searching on ACX, and I'm doing a 2nd audition for him now. I also was a finalist for another (at least according to the author) but didn't get that one.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you're understanding. Being hired for a 6 hour book and expected to deliver a retail product is not the time to cut your teeth and see if you like it.

Audiobooks are a completely different beast and listening to your demo, you're not ready to work in that arena. You've got some work to do in your narration AND the technical side of things.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See above - There's a reason Jeff has narrated around a couple of hundred audio books and I have done to the nearest decimal point 0 ! It's a "tough room" and not to be under estimated.
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:

Set solid, achievable financial targets and then get help from those who have demonstrable proof of moving people towards them.
Last year in New York and LA I spoke to around 50 people. The topic was designed to double their VO income in 2 years using proven, tried and tested methods which were both tried and tested and proven.

And in this case they are working. I admit to not giving 100% at all times but I'm amazed to admit that with PB's reinforcement I've increased my earning in just a year out from his NY event. And, even more importantly, I haven't just increased earnings, I've increased my word-of-mouth exposure, my client contentment, and my desire to make it all fit in with my personal needs.

You are starting out right - eager and anxious and asking the right questions. Remember that, in this career, you need to always do that. I'm coming up on 20 years in the biz and every year is a revelation, evaluation, continuation, exclusion, explosion...with all acting you need to be able to grow. With all professions you need to do the same.

I have no cute way to wrap this up b/c it's late, I coached 4 field hockey games today so my voice is shot, and I have a huge narration to tackle in several hours. Keep on keeping on!

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Being hired for a 6 hour book and expected to deliver a retail product is not the time to cut your teeth and see if you like it.

Still an audiobook noob here, but I do have 6 (woo-hoo!) under my belt.

I agree with Jeff for s ure. I did several books for Reading For the Blind before ever tackling an actual audiobook.. It showed me how enormous an audiobook project can be; how time-consuming, as well as physically and mentally draining.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: