VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

audiobook narration time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven`t done any books myself (other than volunteer stuff for librivox) but I‘ve edited enough of my own long format elearning to know that the only way I`d be making a decent wage is if someone else edited for me (I`m kind of ashamed of my editing ratio.) I collaborated with Karen Souer on some projects last month, and she was such a joy to work with! It`s important to know how to edit well, but it`s such a relief not having to do it for every project, especially when you`ve got a week to finish 3 books of English idioms and your girlfriend is breathing down your neck to enjoy your vacation!

But, back on topic, (sort of) Jeffrey, do you ever narrate multiple books in a day? Or do you prefer to finish one cover to cover before starting the next one?
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work on one book at a time.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank ya, sir!
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have me second guessing myself. In my mind, if I make $175 PFH, and spend 5 hours total for every 1 finished hour, I make $35 bucks an hour. If I contract out the editing for $50 PFH, and spend 2 hours for every finished hour, then I make $62.50 an hour. I am spelling this out so you can fill me in if I'm forgetting to factor in something. I'm in my first year of business, and so, basically know jack squat compared to all of you. Is there something I'm not seeing that should alter my method?

www.heathermastersvo.com
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... sort of. From a strictly math perspective, yes.

But that's only valid math if you have something else to do during that 3 hours of outsourcing. You don't want to pay someone $50 pfh if you're sitting on the couch watching Dr. Phil.

It boils down to opportunity cost. If you're doing your own editing, then you're not doing narration that could pay 4x that amount.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an alternative view to Jeff's... your maths are reasonable and the principle is sound. However (Dr, Phil notwithstanding) I would rather clean a cesspit or re-grout the shower than edit another one of my own audiobooks again. I send myself to sleep and I find editing my own work an incredibly arduous tasks.

Obviously it depends on the pfh income to start with, but my next book gets the the editing outsourced regardless of how I'm going to use the time saved. I love narrating... I hate editing. By outsourcing, I can do what I love and not have the editing part hanging over me like the sword of Damocles... because that negativity can impact my performance.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind editing a 2 minute audition, or even a 10-minute long form VO job....but 8 hour audiobooks definitely fall into the mind-numbing category.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also with you guys, I absolutely will not edit/proof my own audiobooks. Even the royalty-share, where I get only a backend payment, I outsource. Yes, I take a LOSS* before the book ships, just because I won't do my own post production.

*I do not recommend this for everyone.
HeatherMasters
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Jeff. It explains why I'm fine now, when I only work 3 hours a day, but may run into problems when I want to expand my hours.
Quote:
I would rather clean a cesspit or re-grout the shower than edit another one of my own audiobooks again.

My thoughts exactly Bish. Until I found an editor, I was at the end of my rope, hating the sound of my own voice.

www.heathermastersvo.com
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

narratorhelper.com charges around $80PFH to proof, pickup edit, and master an experienced narrator's punch-n-rolled' or error marked recording. There worse the narrator, the higher the rate.

Someone starting an ACX-like project handling the entire production processes better have immense patience and a sugar daddy/momma or a stellar 401K.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread!
Lynn Benson
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally spend tons of time editing my audiobooks. Sheesh! Somehow I learn slowly.
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if I have my definition right? "Punch editing" is editing after the narrator takes out any false starts, major issues - but has not removed every mouth click, or other smaller issues?

I have seen reference by those who offer editing services to "punch editing" and "unedited editing"

Could always just ask them but there seems to be a common understanding.

Last edited by Kim Fuller on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have absolutely nothing else going on, and little to no interruptions,(ha ha) I can knock out 1.5-2 hours of finished audio in a day.....but given the typical day of interruptions and sidetracking, I'm lucky to get 30-45 minutes of finished audio in a day....and realistically probably towards the lower end of that range.

Which is why for an 8-hour book I usually need to plan for 3 weeks of editing.

But no matter how you slice it, it's a mental and physical drain.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim B. wrote:
Can anyone tell me if I have my definition right? "Punch editing" is editing after the narrator takes out any false starts, major issues - but has not removed every mouth click, or other smaller issues?

Yep. It's really a way of recording. If you make a mistake, you back up, place the cursor and hit record. The software will play 3 seconds of what you recorded and then begin recording where you placed the cursor. You're "punching in" at that spot. So at the end, you won't have multiple takes in a file.

You can achieve the same kind of clean recording other ways, but the idea is to have a clean file without multiple takes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: