VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eroding activity on VO-BB and how to combat it...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.S.,

It's always nice to see your contributions here. Thanks!
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsgilbert wrote:
I'm extremely active on various social media, where I have found I have been somewhat successful in developing an ROI.
I rather enjoy seeing the "Gilbertisms" elsewhere... but getting an ROI from social media? That's definitely not why I'm here.... unless you count ROI as getting the strength of a caring community behind me (something that can't really be said about those other places).
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsgilbert wrote:

I do miss some of the witty banter,

I've been told I'm witty half the time. Or something like that. Shocked
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Jen Gosnell
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
getting an ROI from social media? That's definitely not why I'm here.... unless you count ROI as getting the strength of a caring community behind me (something that can't really be said about those other places).

Yes, well said, Peter. I also much appreciate the easy Google-ability of the topics here!

Using social media for ROI definitely has its place. However, I suppose I don't really consider the VO-BB social media. It's certainly social, but the potentially longer-form nature of it and the absence of commercial content, games, news, political rants, spam and the like gives it much more of a community feel than FB or Twitter. It's got a niche audience, and a much smaller pipeline, so the signal to noise ratio is much better here. The biggest challenge for me is just remembering to come here every day like I used to - 'cause I do have uses for FB and Twitter, and it's true they have a strong time-suck capacity. Maybe I need a VO-BB magnet! Wink
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at my response and I guess it didn't quite come off the way I wanted it to, although I was trying to be as truthful as possible.

I appreciate the fact that the VO-BB is here and that I can be away for months and still come back to it and it is still here, pretty much the same as when I had left it. And to know there is support, should I need it.

I have also extended the invitation that anyone can write me at js@jsgilbert.com, call or skype or visit if you are in the San Francisco area.

And I do wish you all well.

--js

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARTY AT JS'S HOUSE!!! 🎉
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a pretty good party I think, given that I haven't had a drink in 25 years or so and I have tons of booze and wine that people have given me over the years, just sitting here. Wink

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... looking for the car keys - be there in 28 hours!

MooreVoices
Contributor II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread topic.

I completely agree with the OP.

In fact, I had been kicking myself for not coming in to drink of the wisdom that this forum offers, like no other, concerning this business for this entire year.

When I first got in the business, I was on here every week, for weeks. This year...I can count my visits on one hand.

I came up with the internet. The internet and my college career debuted the same year at my alma mater.

I am a part of a few dozen message boards for over the past 15 years and yes, they have changed. The platforms set specifically to farm individuals information for profit, have become the order of the day. However, I too miss the "niche" message boards where one felt likey they knew the others on the board.

I am enjoying my return so far. Why? The board is just how I left it and that is comforting to me.
kevinpowe
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to rally under Matt Cowlrick's banner and show up here more often, to add to the Aussie contingent.

Starting to get things back under control after a mad stretch of illness and chaos over the last few months. (it turns out toddlers are a great way to get yourself sick, especially once you send them to daycare. Who knew?)

I can't say enough how much I appreciate that this forum is here, and you're all here nattering away, however infrequently. The warmth and sense of family here compared to the sterile mercenary nature of most FB and LinkedIn groups is such a huge contrast.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Hallmark. Top THAT.

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Powe-- my parents referred to public schools as "dens of pestilence".
Glad you're back at the helm.
voicy1stef
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I've been out for a while, but I haven't forgotton good old vo-bb. It's like family. We go away, do our thing, and pop back in now and then to check up on the news. Laugh

British-American voice artist based in England for the past umpteen years. I say, has it really been that long!

http://www.stefsvoice4u.co.uk
Podcast: Positive Affirmations and Audio Stories, on iTunes, Spotify etc.
paulstefano
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new user I can tell you that the format feels very old. I mean, I had to get permission to join!

I do enjoy it. It reminds me of an old group I used to be in for Tivo watchers called Tivocommunity.

However, notice how many times I've said old so far? The internet is a young man's game and dare I say the kids aren't into this format anymore (ducks)

Like others have said, it seems like this is a real community. Most people don't want that anymore. They want to blast people anonymously in 140 characters or less.

I for one hope people stick around though because the information here seems invaluable.
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we as a civilization need to not settle for very simple and sometimes very shallow answers. I concur that the younger generation indeed has jumped onto the social media and "drive-by-shooting" style short messages.

I would offer the observation there are some issues, some topics that are well served by "old media" long messages. There are some face-book sites for V-O folks and I'm sure some of you are following and maybe participating in some them... along with me.

If you have a heavy duty challenge of understanding how to tame the acoustics of a room, if you need to comprehend with finesse some of the techniques of electronic equipment, or how to rebuild the carburetor on your vintage Harley, short-message social media will make you short of breath and crabby quite quickly.

But unlike days of old when we strung together a "witches-brew" of wires, plugs. electronic boxes, tape decks and what have you to build a studio, today's style is to walk into a music store and bring home a USB mic, download a free software, and PRESTO... instant gratification.

And then someone chides you over your back ground noises, and later someone doesn't like some of the pumping or other artifacts of compression and lot's of luck getting technical gratification from the quick-short-message crowd!

But, it's a sign of the times. Who needs long-form forum site to understand how to set the f-stops on your 35MM camera. Cell phone cameras don't have those complexities. There is no longer the need to understand what the choke know on the dash of your '36 Ford is for.

As I write this, I am staring at baskets and boxes containing a 60 year collection of recipes curated by by my late wife. How much energy do I put into organizing and preserving them. Does anyone (including my own children) actually cook from scratch anymore, or do we just go to social media and see who has the best price and choice on carry-out tonight?

And since it's about 6:30 P.M. Appalachian Daylight Time, I think I shall crank up the 36 Ford and head to town for some carry-out. Send me your suggestions via Facebook. cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: