VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you have a public relations budget?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Do you have a public relations budget? Reply with quote

I sure don't, but probably only because I'm not organised enough.

My local Chamber of Commerce invited me to one of their monthly "Arrive @ 5" gatherings recently and I had a blast. This one was at the garden house at a city park; last month they met at the newspaper office, next month they'll be at the campus center at the local college. I would like to be able to keep attending these gatherings but they're for members only (they let you attend a few to get you hooked first). The membership fee is $300 for businesses of 1 to 4 employees, payable in quarterly installments. Benefits include listing in their online directory and the business directory that is sent to the 24,000 subscribers to the local newspaper, low rates on ad inserts in their newsletter, 6 passes to attend their monthly gatherings without paying the $5 admission. Plus they say they "do all we can to promote our members". I have no idea how beneficial these perks are. One might be paying primarily for good will, which is not trivial. As far as tangible ROI, one might be better off joining V123 (not likely I will do that), although the Chamber of Commerce sounds like a lot more fun. Probably boils down to a social club membership with possible business benefits, but it could turn out to be really good, depending on what one wants to put into it.

I would love to hear others' thoughts about membership in local chambers of commerce or other local business organizations, and whether it has been a good investment for you.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my dear MCM, PR is something that takes time and energy... not usually a lot of money. However the money part doesn't hurt.

You are developing "Lovenotes" a Personal Brand which creates a powerful, clear, positive idea which comes to mind whenever anyone thinks of you. Each time you are in front of - or associating with this group (albeit a Chamber of Commerce, a Kiwanas Club, or even a church group) you re-enforce your "Lovenotes".

How much is that worth to you? What kind of money would you spend to reach those folks and develop a positive image of you if you had to pay someone to do it? Which is a something you have to decide.

I belong to several clubs and groups which are 'business oriented' for just the PR reason. Is it worth it? The jury is still out on that one, but it has created many opportunities to meet the movers and shakers I would never had a chance to meet without the association of the group.

The main thing to remember is to be yourself - a major part of creating "Lovenotes". Being a salesperson will generate negative feelings - and the whole goal of joining a group is to allow good things to happen.

Toodles

Frank F

("Lovenotes" is the trademark and title to a book soon to be released with the subject of Personal Branding for Voice Over Artist).

edited to correct spelling - I kin talk wel but kaint spel worth beens.

Last edited by Frank F on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good way to think of it Frank.

One of the things I like about the idea of joining is just getting to know my town better. I've lived here for 10 years, but used to come here in the summer when I was a kid. It was fun to go to this gathering at the city park and remember that there used to be a pancake restaurant and swimming pool where the garden house is now.

Also, I met somebody who owns an executive car service. We talked for a long time, and it turned out he used to live in a little town in Michigan that I knew well. Nothing to do with business, it was just plain fun. Everybody I talked to was interesting - a woman who runs a bed & breakfast but used to work at a local bird sanctuary, a man in sales at a radio station speculating on what would happen to their station now that they've been bought by one of the big companies - the list goes on - you can't put a price on that kind of stuff. It just plain enriches one's life.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary:

In additionto the points you've personally observed and those points Frank made, you need to consider your chance to become the regional "voice gal".

What does that mean?

It means if you attend enough of these things (likely as a member of your chamber, a BNI group <http://www.bni.com/>, Sales and Marketing Executives <http://www.smei.org/> or some other more local tip group, you get to be known as the voice gal or voice person or voice talker (as most folks won't fully grasp what you do etc). BUT, you'll likely be the only person they know who does it. So when they, or a friend of theirs has a need, you'll be the one they think of.

Still not sure.

A couple of books you should at least puruse at your local Barnes and Noble that deal with networking and its values:

* http://www.amazon.com/Little-Black-Book-Connections-Relationships/dp/1885167660
* http://www.amazon.com/Sales-Bible-Ultimate-Resource-Revised/dp/0471456292
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Well-Before-Youre-Thirsty/dp/0385485468

Hope this helps...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: