VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello and Critique Request
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've received advice and read that a Commercial demo should be one thing and a Radio Imaging demo should be another thing and a Promo demo should be yet another thing. It's all very confusing really.

If you have an agent, and the agent has a web site with four different categories of demo (like commercials, book readers, radio/tv imaging, telephone messaging, promos, for instance) then you'll naturally want a demo in each category. It also looks great to have a nice, professional looking web site with easy access to all those demos.

But if you're just starting to build and assemble that material, that's a big job. I'm sure you'd prefer to move on to work that includes a paycheck.

First thing you need is a good demo that includes all those things, or whichever ones you can do and want to do. You need a sixty second version and a two minute version, maybe two and a half.

Like two good suits, that demo alone might carry you several years into a successful career. All along the way you'll be gathering material for those more specialized demos.

(Especially if you sign up for voices.com or 123 or any of those guys. Do about a thousand really good auditions, and you'll have the raw material for a great set of demos, even if you never get a gig from them.)

...The preceding is only my fool opinion, and does not reflect what may very well be an Important Industry Standard that I just hadn't noticed yet.[/b]
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrodriguez315 wrote:
As far as including all the different kinds of ads you mentioned in the same demo, I'm not sure what direction to go there since I've received advice and read that a Commercial demo should be one thing and a Radio Imaging demo should be another thing and a Promo demo should be yet another thing. It's all very confusing really.

Focus first on what you do best. Figure out where you fit in the industry. Then create a demo that markets what you have to sell to that particular part of the industry. Before jumping into anything - listen listen listen to what is currently playing, listen listen listen to as many professional demos as you can find, listen listen listen to yourself. Then craft a demo that takes advantage of your best deliveries with lots of variety in product/subject, attitude, pacing, mic proximity, style of writing, POV (announcer, spokes, real), etc.

Not everyone will have Imaging, Promo, Commercial, Documentary, Character, Audio Book, IVR, Corporate Marketing, Training Demos.
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
Focus first on what you do best. Figure out where you fit in the industry. Then create a demo that markets what you have to sell to that particular part of the industry.

My natural stupidity and arrogance tells me I can do it all, and in both English and Spanish. But seriously, I'd love to do tv and radio commercials, movie trailers and promos and cartoon / character stuff. Audiobooks and On-hold stuff don't interest me as much, not that I would turn down a paying gig in those areas!

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
listen listen listen to what is currently playing, listen listen listen to as many professional demos as you can find,

I have listened to many demos, I have a couple hundred of them on my iPod. I especially spent a lot of time listening to cartoon / character demos because that was what I thought would be my main focus in voiceover. Quick question. Who's are the top 10 demos you'd recommend or have recommended for your students listening pleasure?

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
listen listen listen to yourself. Then craft a demo that takes advantage of your best deliveries with lots of variety in product/subject, attitude, pacing, mic proximity, style of writing, POV (announcer, spokes, real), etc.

Connie,

Thank you so much for the critique. I can't tell you how fortunate I feel to have such fantastic people available to correspond with on this board.

Long before I ever heard of vo-bb, I purchased an audio from James Alburger's site. It was a session at a conference, and one of the panel speakers was none other than Connie Terwilliger! I can't believe that I am now corresponding with you. At that time, I visited your site and found a wealth of information and materials which you make available for your students. Thanks so much for that stuff. It was very helpful for me then and still is today.

I am going to take your advice and listen, listen, listen to both the pros and myself. In another thread, Pat Fraley talked about developing a discerning ear. I guess my ear is somewhat tin at the moment but I'm hoping to develop some discernment abilities and how!

Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: