VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good news for users of "those" nasal decongestants

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Good news for users of "those" nasal decongestants Reply with quote

Those who have the need to use nasal decongestant sprays under the brand names of Afrin®, Anefrin®, Dristan®, Mucinex®, Nostrilla®, Vicks Sinex®, or Zicam® (with Oxymetazoline as the active ingredient) know that using them frequently or for prolonged periods can cause "rebound" congestion where – while not an actual chemical addiction – the need develops to keep using them in order to remain congestion-free.

Here's some great news from the National Institutes of Health:

Adding a prescription steroidal nasal spray of Fluticasone has been shown to actually REVERSE the rebound congestion (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20203244). I can personally verify that it worked for me in not just reversing rebound congestion (which, thankfully, I caught early), but helping eliminate the need for Oxymetazoline completely which, in my case, was due not to allergy but chronic dehydration.

On the other side of the coin, those who have been using only Fluticasone for perennial allergic nasal congestion may find that adding Oxymetazoline will increase the effectiveness of Fluticasone (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21377716).

Knowing the potential danger, I had been using Oxymetazoline very sparingly: whereas the normal dosing is two or three sprays per nostril twice a day, I was using only a single spray each and only prior to bedtime to help me breathe better during sleep.

I hope this information is helpful to others plagued and frustrated by nasal congestion.

vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The doctor is in!

What's the line from the Peanuts comics..... "That will be 5-cents, please."
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stopped using most if not all sprays, except in rare instances. Neti, and occasional triamcinolone acetonide (glucococorticoid) AKA Nasacort, recommended by my Doc.
yarg28
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Nasacort late last spring and it has literally (typically hate that word) changed my life. I have had free breathing since the second day I began using it. I spoke with my physician and he said not to sweat it and use it daily. I've been using it for about 7-8 months straight now.

GLORIOUS!

When I'm getting ready in the morning every once in a while I just take a deep, closed mouth breath, and it makes me smile like the Cheshire cat.

ALSO, for 20+ years, every year when fall changes to winter, i get a sinus infection. Most sinus infections begin as viral. My weak sinus system can never withstand it and it turns into something worse that ends up requiring antibiotics.

This is the first year that I have not had a sinus infection by now. Two occasions I began exhibiting symptoms and within a few days it cleared in the manner that doctors have been telling me a sinus infection should clear.

And I've been vigilant in the past; humidifiers, neti, saline sprays, etc. I use none of that junk now. Zero.

I know it is anecdotal, but I have never, not once, avoided a prolonged sinus infection, until I began using Nasacort.

If you have an issue with sinus and breathing you should check into it. Maybe it wont help. I'm sure its not right for everyone.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news, Yarg. Glad Nasacort works for you. You might check to see if the generic (Triamcinolone) can save you some money.

Bacterial sinus infections can be prolonged and very stubborn if airflow through the affected nasal passage and sinus cavity is reduced. Such was the case for me.

Here's to good respiratory health!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: