VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behringer MDX2200?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Behringer MDX2200? Reply with quote

I'm pretty much on record as not liking outboard processing and preferring to do everything in post... however, I've just started to use my dbx286a as a very minimal expander/gate on the 416... and I'm really liking the results. I'm also on record as not being a great lover of Behringer gear (although I know that some of their earlier gear is OK)

Recently I heard (on EWABS) of that our friend Anthony Mendez really likes the expander/gate on the MDX2200 when used on the 416. So, what's the wisdom of the VO-BB tech-heads on this? Also, is the MDX2600 good for this as well (although it seems a little "flashier" and to not have the same expander/gate flexibility). Did Behringer hit the sweet-spot with the 2200?

... and they're as cheap as chips at the moment... and I have a hole in my rack that's screaming out for something other than a blanking plate Smile
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony should answer himself (if he has a moment, the busy guy), but I'm guessing as someone who's big into TV promo work, a 416 and a rich sounding processor are particularly attractive to him.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan, for pointing me to this thread. Man, it's been a while since I've posted here before today. Who's running this place now?

Anyway, Bish, I use the MDX 2200, because I started with the MDX 2100 but it was stolen. The next available unit was the 2200 and it was almost identical to the 2100 (with an update power switch - push instead of toggle.) I only use it to reduce noise by only about 2 to 3dB tops!

It's cheap enough where you can buy one to try and, if you don't like it, sell it and break even.

It has a built-in compressor that, unfortunately, doesn't have a bypass switch. So, what I do is raise the threshhold to max and the ratio to minimum as a workaround. I'm sure it adds some level of color to my sound, but at this point it's what I'm used to anyway. Furthermore, if you have a higher-pitched voice than I do, you might not like what the MDX 2200 does at the higher end of the frequency spectrum. Joe Szymanski, for example, didn't like it.

I hope that helps. Not sure if I answered your question.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anthonyVO wrote:
Who's running this place now?

A couple of inmates from within the asylum.... but Mama Bear keeps an eye on things, just in case.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know that DB still checks in on the kids.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony,

It's great to see you post here again!
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had great results with this in Miguel Ferrer's studio:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-DBX-463x-Over-Easy-Noise-Gate-/251685726647?pt=US_Signal_Processors_Rack_Effects&hash=item3a99a369b7

Also have had recommendations from Mike Deming of CharterOak for the Behringer SNR 202.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Behringer-SNR-202-Denoiser-2-Channel-Noise-Reduction-Rack-Mount-/151427341394?pt=US_Signal_Processors_Rack_Effects&hash=item2341c5dc52
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: