VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Animation VO demo....Animated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Animation VO demo....Animated Reply with quote

I was invited here by David Houston, a friend of mine from the auspicious Myspace. He said I should post my demo for some feedback. I thought that a great idea. Laugh

In the interest of analysis here's the background info:

In beginning my career I have gone through the workshops of Brian Cummings and Ginny McSwain. Both were excelent teachers with years of experience and are nice enough to still support me after thier paid-for time. My demo is a homebrew, done with my own copy in my home-studio. Like many who are new to voice acting, my demos are comprised mainly of 'fakes'. Strategically selected copy meant to sound like small clips from larger productions. Not much you can do about having 'fakes' if you have not yet been in any cartoons. I researched hundreds of the top reels I could find during the process, averaging out number of voices, length of clips, and making notes on what was funny, impressive, and dynamic. I also decided to add something a little different. Being an animator as well as a voice actor, I spent some time making animation clips for each of the 13 voices in my minute and a half character demo.

Please check out the fully animated version, I just finished it last night:
http://bigtimeinternet.com/demo.html

The MP3 audio versions can be found on my website http://bigtimeinternet.com/ along with my demo cover art and other junk-ola.

I will be using this animation along with the traditional CD demo to help land an agent. I have gotten a few gigs without one, but I need one if I am to be serious. I am always preparing new material for the next demo/project.

Feedback greatly appreciated.

-Beery
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Beery. To paraphrase my response from the kiddie site: Wink

The animation is super, and the voice demo itself is pretty good too. That said, I do have to wonder if it doesn't defeat the "theatre of the mind" you want to instill in a listener.

On the voices themselves... some nice stuff overall. I liked the belcher (the one-eyed ogre) in particular.

When it comes to accents and dialects the basic rule is: if you can't fool the natives, don't do it. (This doesn't come from a high horse; I've learned this the hard way, via more experienced pros here and elsewhere.)

By the way: Am I hearing things, or is that Mason Williams' "Classical Gas" playing behind the forlorn sea creature? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting blend of both talents and welcome to the board!

I agree that while the animation is cool, it makes it difficult to zero in on what the voice is doing.

Good luck to you!
Beery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delayed response. I can't think of a good enough metaphore to describe how busy I have been. Thanks for taking a look.

Good Critisizms, I agree that it will not be a usefull tool for every situation, but it at least one more tool to bring to bare. Think of it as close-captioning for the imagination impaired.

Also when I read the phrase "Defeating the Theater of the Minds" I for some reason thought the phrase "Defeating the Theater of the Mimes" and had a wonderful mental image of myself laying seige to a theater full of mimes. :-P

Thanks agian for taking a look and the feedback.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was impressed with the animation and the voice both....nice work. Very talented person I can tell.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept is awesome!

The execution looks like a work in progress.

Do more!
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big plus: Try and find another VO with a character demo sporting custom animation. It's important to stand out, and this does. Tweak things a bit and you could make a great impression...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: