VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Demo production questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Demo production questions Reply with quote

I was just listening to last weeks EWABS podcast today, where George and Dan held their first annual demo demo derby. Some great info, thanks guys!

I have a commercial demo that was made many years ago. I know I need to update it; I think it was pretty good at the time, but it's old, and I don't think it's up to snuff at this point (not to mention the fact that I now understand more about the importance of showing range, and it doesn't show mine well enough).

I know enough to know that I shouldn't produce my own commercial demo. I don't know when the timing (read: finances) will be right to put a new one together, but hopefully it will be relatively soon. In anticipation of that time, I have a couple of questions:

1. I live in the Tucson area. Can anyone recommend a great demo producer here, or at least in Phoenix?

2. If personal recommendations for a demo producer in this area are lacking, what's the next best option? Working with someone in L.A. (or somewhere else) via Skype for a few sessions, and then making a trip there to record the demo over a day or three? Working with someone via Skype and then booking local ISDN studio time? Selling my mic and getting a paper route? One of the guests on the show mentioned recording demo spots over several days, which I think is a great idea, but I'm not sure it's feasible if the producer isn't local, so... I'm just looking for options -- and recommendations for that long-distance producer, if nobody knows someone here in the desert southwest.

While I know producing my own commercial demo would be a mistake, I've been contemplating putting together an audiobook demo on my own, and I was glad to hear the guys on EWABS mention that this is generally doable. They spoke a little bit about mastering it, and how a little compression goes a long way, which I knew (the first thing that comes to mind when I think "too much compression" is Michael Douglas's intro to the NBC Nightly News). But I could use a little guidance on what, exactly, "a little compression" might refer to. Can someone suggest a starting point for compression settings? It's been a long time since I've used either my old DBX-166 or any software for compression, and I know it will come back to me fairly quickly, but I thought before I tried either I'd see if I could get a good jumping off point. Hopefully, I'll be able to hear it if I push it too far and it becomes noticeable.

Thanks,
Rich
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, I went to a local studio (in WA) and skyped my VO coach in (in MN), who directed my reads while the engineer recorded, and then sent the files off for my coach to edit. Just one long distance possibility.

Speaking of Cliff, have you checked out his Done By Six Productions? He and several other vo directors give you the tools and guidance to produce your own demos long distance! Could be worth checking out.

http://www.dallasvo.com/#!done-by-six-home/cx12

Best of luck in updating your demo!

Sean
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know nothing or believe you know enough not to ..(complete sentence) and then ask people who muddle through to guide you then you will simply end up knowing more nothing than when you started.

All you need to know is know. Find the person who professionally is where you would like to be or has helped others to get to where you would like to be. Do not guess, do not allow yourself to be taken in by spin or PR. Know, prove to yourself beyond reasonable doubt that they are THE person.

Once you've turned off all the noise you'll hear the voice you need to hear.
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Working with someone via Skype and then booking local ISDN studio time?

This. Or Skype plus self-recording and sending files, though the ISDN option is nice because it leaves you only wearing one hat: performer. Worth the extra cost on something this important.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. Performance only, Let someone else play the Audio Gatekeeper.
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
If you know nothing or believe you know enough not to ..(complete sentence) and then ask people who muddle through to guide you then you will simply end up knowing more nothing than when you started.

So... you're saying that everyone here is just "muddling through?" I don't buy that. I've seen great advice from George Whittam on a number of topics, and now that I'm listening to his podcast, I'm receiving more great advice, including some of what I heard on the demo demo derby program. I understand that it's unwise to get into a blind-leading-the-blind situation, but I don't think that's what I'm doing by soliciting advice here, as I know there are a lot of professionals here who've been at this for years, and have undoubtedly come across some top-notch demo producers. Just because someone says, "Call Bob, he's the best!" or, "Use Jimmy, he did my demo!" doesn't mean I'm going to go running to Bob or Jimmy, figuring the recommendation came from a VO guru; but I still think a personal recommendation beats a random stab at a page in the Yellow Pages (if the Yellow Pages still exist in today's online world) nine times out of ten.

Quote:
All you need to know is know.

Sorry, I'm not following. Perhaps I need to find a local BESL class. Wink

Quote:
Find the person who professionally is where you would like to be or has helped others to get to where you would like to be. Do not guess, do not allow yourself to be taken in by spin or PR. Know, prove to yourself beyond reasonable doubt that they are THE person.

Great idea! Perhaps I can start the search by asking for personal recommendations from other people who have been where I am and are now where I'd like to be. Like many of the people who frequent this board.

In all seriousness, Philip, it sounds like your advice always boils down to, "Find what you're looking for yourself. Don't ever trust anyone else's advice or experience." Maybe that has worked for you, but I think most of us appreciate hearing about the experiences of others, and can occasionally move forward more quickly and confidently with a personal recommendation from a trusted source.

If I was in your neck of the woods, for example, I'd certainly look into any demo producer that you've worked with and had a fantastic experience. It doesn't mean I'd hire him, but I'd certainly look him up.

Cheers,
Rich
Mushmelon
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you take a listen to some of the samples that Chuck Duran produced at www.demosthatrock.com He is in LA but you can record remotely with direction via Skype. He is great to work with albeit a bit pricey. But...you get what you pay for!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc Graue Fin in the mix http://www.fixinthemix.com/ a demo he produced for a friend got her signed with William Morris Endeavour in LA.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked with both Marc and Chuck. They both make awesome demos. The difference I found was that Marc will (at least he did for me) just give you copy, direct you and then produce your demo, where Chuck will work with you to determine your goals for the demo, work with you to figure out what styles and spots are best for your voice and then direct you and produce your demo. Both will make changes if you want changes after delivering the final product. Chuck will then work with you to promote your new demo to agents a bit.

Chuck was more expensive, but I felt I got a more specifically tailored product and with Marc I got an awesome demo...but it seemed a bit more generic. He didn't spend time with me figuring out where I wanted to go with the demo, he just made some choices (though not bad choices...I was new to VO in general and didn't really know what I needed yet).

BOTH demos however booked me work and agents....so I would definitely recommend both. I just appreciated Chuck's approach a little better than Marc's. But, like I said, both of those guys produce GREAT demos.

Both of them recorded with me via Skype in my studio.

Disclaimer: Results may vary depending on the acting ability and vocal talent of the individual performing on the demo. No guarantee is made in terms of marketability of produced demos for a particular purpose. YMMV.
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me of Marc Graue, Philip. I met him six years ago or so, and I liked him.

And thanks for comparing and contrasting Marc and Chuck, Jason. I'll definitely check them both out!

Cheers,
Rich
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy Wolfson. Not the cheapest by any means, but what I have paid her for demo production has paid for itself many times over.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy is not who you need to do an audiobook demo, but for commercial/promo? Sure.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
richvoice
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. Nancy gave a presentation back at Voice 2008 (the only one I went to), and I was impressed with her, but for some reason I can never remember her name!

As I recall, she's in L.A., as are Chuck and Marc. I wouldn't have a problem going to L.A. to record, or working in a local studio with an ISDN setup. I don't think I'd attempt to self-record, working with the producer via Skype; not so much because I don't want to have to handle the engineering duties as well as the performance duties (although that's an excellent point!), but because my gear isn't as nice and my booth isn't as isolated as what I'd (presumably) find at any decent local studio.

George, I'm thinking about doing an audiobook demo myself, I'm just looking for demo producers for a new commercial demo.

Cheers,
Rich
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to promo demo's and Nancy, she'll send you to Chuck Duran.

She did my commercial and narration reels, but feels Chuck has a better handle on promo direction and production.

I'm about due for a new commercial reel here. I'm planning to go with Chuck for this one too.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible, find out who's coming to Faffcon Sept 18-21It's in Tucson this year. Perhaps you can book time with her/him for pre-production coaching face-to-face ... which could lead to other considerations for demo production.

Still, all the above names are killer.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: