VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lewitt LCT 640?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lapdog12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Lewitt LCT 640? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever used this mic, the Lewitt LCT 640?

I'm looking for an all purpose mic, mostly for animation. I'm currently using an AA CM87se, and I really like the mic, but it doesn't have the proximity effect I'm looking for when I want to "get into" the mic.

I emailed Mike Jolly about his Rode NT1 mod and he said he "designed to have less proximity effect, at the same distance, compared to Neumann mics" I think of the U87 because when I book a job I'm mostly recording on a U87, unfortunately, that's not in the budget at the moment.

Any tips or advice from the knowledgeable folks here would be great. I know every mic is different for every person but I just want to get an idea of this mic or any mic that might fit my needs.

here is my animation reel if you want to get an idea of my voice:

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-lapensee/jeff-lapensee-animation-demo

Also, I'm not very savvy when it comes to all the mic jargon so please bear with me, I'm trying to learn and understand.

Thanks for your time and advice!

jeff
FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Lewitt LCT 640 Reply with quote

Have used a Lewitt LCT 940 for a few years. It is a nice mic but overkill for VO. It is a hybrid combination of the LCT 640 FET and the LCT 840 Tube mics.

If I was to start again with a Lewitt mic I would get the new LCT 550. It is one of the quietest mics ever made, in theory there is NO mic generated noise.

You probably do not need anything more than the Cardioid pick up pattern so even the LCT 540 would be good, but not as quiet as the 550.

I actually just changed to a new mic Smile

Check out the CAD e100s. From all that I have heard from other talent is that it is a great mic for VO and also very quiet.

Hope this helps some.

By the way, Michael Joly does some very good work.

+1 on his mics

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
lapdog12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I've heard a lot of people talking about the CAD e100s. Do they color your voice or is it a nice clean sound? Can you get proximity effect if you want to get into the mic if needed?

So many questions. I wonder if the Guitar Center in Sherman Oaks has these mics so I can listen to how I sound on them.

Thanks again for your reply.
TQuinn
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Joly's work is great. He modded my old NT-1, eliminating sibilance and improving all aspects of the resulting sound.

Tony
lapdog12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Mike Jolly does great work and I was thinking about getting one of his modded mics but as I said in my original post I'm looking for a mic that I can get proximity effect when I want to "get into" the mic and Mike Jolly said his mics are "designed to have less proximity effect, at the same distance, compared to Neumann mics"

So out with the Mike Jolly modded mic.
Andy
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: CAD and Lewitt Reply with quote

I have the 640 and it is my main mic, fairly quiet and very versatile with all the setting and such. The CAD is also very good, very very quiet so it does tend to pick up EVERYTHING but I do like how I sound. I just got the CAD back from Ohio for a repair, the "intermittent ground point" was fixed. I was getting sudden bursts or growing electrical hum like sounds...nothing in the chain (other mic tested) so since it was still in warranty I sent it back. Good service.

The Lewitt has been great low noise and I wish I did compare it to the 550. You will not go wrong with either, in my opinion.

Good luck....something else always comes along!
lapdog12

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I ordered the Lewitt LCT 540 as I don't think I'll ever need more than the cardiod pattern. I also have a Rode NTG-3 if I need a hyper-cardiod.

I've also upgraded my audio pre/interface to the audient 1d22. I've heard great things about that product and I wanted an all in one pre/interface to keep the amount of equipment in my signal chain to a minimum. i can't wait to get it all in and play around with. will be curious on how much better it will all sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: