VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WIFI Snag

View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: WIFI Snag Reply with quote

Last week was a test run "on the road" using my new laptop rig (studio). I ran into a snag trying to upload mp3 files, sending emails or trying to reply to emails sent to me while on the road. My hotel room had a high-speed internet connection and I could log on to the WWW, surf my fav sites and download email sent to me. However, I could not send mp3 files
direct or upload mp3s to my site for client downloads. (no help from the hotel staff). I checked every setting I could think of. My WIFI connectivity showed an absolute strong connection. I tried another WIFI location across town (Taco Bell...yeah I know) and ecperienced the same glitch.

My laptop (PC) rig works great...at home. Always able to connect to the internet whether upstairs, outside on the porch or down the street a couple of houses or so away.

I'm wondering if other VO talents have run into this . If you have, how were you able to grab a connection? Your "Road Warrior" comments and or suggestions are most welcome.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

One thing I ran into with email was I was able to recieve but couldn't send due to the fact that my internet connection is through Charter Cable. My outgoing mail server was naturally theirs. Since I wasn't using a Charter connection my smtp server wouldn't work so I had to use my Gmail account to send email and spots. Just a thought.

Russ
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah Mike-- I have the same issue on the road.
We all do-- our home settings revolve around our ISP. Hook up to a new one and you're talking to the "wrong guy" as far as your computer is concerned.

Can you use an FTP Client like Fetch or Cute FTP to upload files?
They don't care WHERE you are.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option, which I use, is to go to your ISP's webmail page for your account... the you may send and receive as desired. Or set up a Yahoo or Excite acct, or as you did - use you Gmail acct.

All work, it is just how you shoose to hooldup.

Frank F
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my biz email set up to come in and go out through my ATT/Yahoo! acct. No problems for short MP3's. I also have a 1 Gig FTP that I can access from anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try sendthisfile.com. I've used it from my home studio, but not (yet) from the road... Free.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
banjo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: WIFI Snag Reply with quote

Thanks ya'll! I sincerely apprerciate the feedback. I'll investigate all of your suggestions. Good ones, all of them. Will let you know how I do,

I'm outta breath already thinking about all those hoops to jump through.

Anything good is worth working for, right? That's why we're in this
VO biz. Much success to all of you!

Best Regards,

MC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: