VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas for promoting oneself!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joanhallhovey

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Ideas for promoting oneself! Reply with quote

Hi,
I've searched here for tips on promoting yourself/your voice - but can't seem to find much on the topic. I wonder if we could start a thread with tips and advice of getting your voice 'out there' in the marketplace.
Are agents the way? Interactive voices? I'm getting jobs here and there, but the here and theres are much far apart.

This topic has probably been done to distraction, if so, will someone point me to it.

Joan
CWToo

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call advertising agencies. Ask if they do broadcast. If yes, ask to speak to the person that hires talent. Be really, really charming and professional.

Dear God! I've let the cat out of the bag!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to your demos and you seem to proffer mostly a slow, relaxed narrative style. Think about who uses that kind of delivery in their audio and video materials. I'd contact audio book publishers, large corporations that might have internal communications departments, educational firms and the like.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
DaveHines

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some good tips in this thread: http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1158&highlight=
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yellow Pages have worked pretty well for me. I've done cold calls from these categories:

Audio/Visual Production Services
Film Companies
Recording Studios
TV/Cable Companies
Video Production Companies

I've noticed that the big thing isn't getting the contacts, it's keeping you in their heads! The book "Be Somebody, Be Somebody, for God's Sake Be Somebody" says that most sales are made after the fifth contact with a potential client. I use quarterly follow-up calls, postcards and a newsletter to remind them I'm around. The key is timing the contacts: don't annoy them by contacting them too often but don't space them too far apart so they forget you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
joanhallhovey

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, (Bruce, Dave,CWTo, Rognog...) will keep these great ideas in mind with gratitude, and look for more tips. -Smile Keep 'em coming. This is a great thread.

Joan
www.joanhallhovey.com/Voice.html
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rognog wrote:
The Yellow Pages have worked pretty well for me. I've done cold calls from these categories:

Audio/Visual Production Services
Film Companies
Recording Studios
TV/Cable Companies
Video Production Companies

I've noticed that the big thing isn't getting the contacts, it's keeping you in their heads! The book "Be Somebody, Be Somebody, for God's Sake Be Somebody" says that most sales are made after the fifth contact with a potential client. I use quarterly follow-up calls, postcards and a newsletter to remind them I'm around. The key is timing the contacts: don't annoy them by contacting them too often but don't space them too far apart so they forget you.

Rog,

Which of those categories has been most fruitful for you?

Joe
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at my contact database and it seems that the Recording Studios got me the most work and Video Production Companies came in second. Those are the places you want to do those "just checking in" phone calls because you never know what projects are on your contact person's table.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveHines wrote:
There's some good tips in this thread: http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1158

CWToo wrote:
Dear God! I've let the cat out of the bag!

As Banksey said in another posting of the same advice, "Lucky for me no one believes it works."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: