VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request for Critique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillWheelock

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Request for Critique Reply with quote

Here goes, I am really anxious to get some real feed back on my demo and my voice in general as well. This BB has been most educational, informative, and supportive.

https://soundcloud.com/crashwheelock/wheelock-vo-demo-cfaa-2014

Much thanks

Bill
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tone, moods and variety all fine.

Do the A/B test.

Find 50 VO people, male or female, you think "He/she's good"

In your recording software put pro demo 1 then your demo, pro demo 2 then your demo, rinse and repeat with all 50 alternating with you.

They do NOT sound like you but ..................find that but!
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Bill... welcome!

Okay, let me just be honest: this sounds very small town radio to me.
The demo itself doesn't have very good flow to it, just jumping from one shortish clip to another and I struggled to stay with it. Matter of fact, I listened twice and never got to the end.

I wonder what the "Real Bill" sounds like. I'd like to hear you tell us a story, or just talk and not try to be other characters or things as you were throughout this demo. And even when I felt I MIGHT be hearing the "Real Bill", it sounded a bit stilted.

Question 1: Do you have any background, experience or training in acting?
Question 2: Have you had any profession v/o coaching?

You'll probably need to get some of both before you'll really be able to make money or be competitive. Your voice sounds okay, but this demo just lacks the professionalism and talent that I think it needs to have to compete with the folks who are landing the jobs.

www.voicebyscott.com
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, Bill!

Scott kinda said my thoughts as well. Your reads and the production reflects that you just aren't aware of what's demanded from a vo talent. I hear you putting on reads, or trying to sound versatile. But the reads don't sound organic.

From the demo I don't know who Bill is. And it doesn't feel like you are yet able to bring your personality to the read. This ain't easy. No one in this business needs another voice. They have all the voices they will ever need, and then some. What they absolutely need are brilliant actors.

I don't know your background, but based on the demo my advice is to study acting and improv. Then, when your acting technique is honed study voiceover. When you feel you are competitive, and as good or better than everyone else, get that demo produced by a person who makes brilliant demos. You need to hire a producer whom the agents, ad execs, casting directors, etc., know and respect. They know what the industry demands from the working vo actor. But don't even think demo until you are absolutely ready. You get one chance to make a great first impression. It's hard to impossible to get a second chance.

Hope this helps!
B
BillWheelock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone. Looks like I have a lot of work to do before turning "Pro."
General info: No formal training in acting or voice. My demos are from a two day beginning VO class taught through the Learning Exchange by local artist, Susan Hayward. They had some radio spots for us to use. The truck commercial aired here in Sacramento. At the time the owner of the dealership used all his friends for "Testamonials." Currently I am doing narration for training power points. I am trying to satisfy the producers request for me to sound more conversational.

@ Philip Banks
On the A/B test: “They do NOT sound like you but ..................find that but .” Would possible buts be “I can produce the same emotion”? “I can emulate the pace and rhythm.”?

@ Scott Pollak
Question 1: Do you have any background, experience or training in acting? Nope, other than an acting class in high school and a couple of school plays. I was third choice but got the parts because choices 1 & 2 didn’t have the grades.
Question 2: Have you had any profession v/o coaching? Not really. One hour with Roger Love in Hollywood.

@ Bob Bergen
Not sounding organic… don’t know who Bill is… bringing my personality to the read… not aware of what's demanded from a vo talent… Wow! Sounds like I have a lot of personal growth ahead of me.

Thanks again everyone. Your comments are most valuable, constructive and helpful.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
...From the demo I don't know who Bill is.

I have no idea if this would work on your own, but when I consulted voice talents and they could not or would not give me their real voice, I'd have them stop reading the copy and then I'd quiz them about their lives. Family, what kinds of jobs they've had, favorite things, and I'd keep recording.

Amazingly (not really) they'd start talking in their real voice. After a while I'd play their conversation back, have them listen to the naturalness of their delivery, and then have them record the commercial. It made a big difference in their performance every time.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
vkuehn
DC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a reminder, as a "wake up call" I do that to myself now and then.

In "real life" I am quite a story teller. I have this tiny little Sony recorder that even with the built-in make has pretty good quality. I put the thing on a lanyard, toss it around my neck, drop in down inside my shirt and take off to fun the days errands. (I may learn the hard way some day that I am violating some kind of law by recording in public.)

At first I am very self-conscious of the thing being there and being on, but after "doing battle" with a couple of sales folks at a couple of retail stores, I forget all about the thing.

When I get home I down-load the thing, edit out the big long silences, and let it play back on the studio monitors or the headphones. Very revealing.... in good ways.... and in bad ways. But always an EAR OPENER!

Then comes the struggle: When do I need to abandon the forced 'studio sound'... and when do I need to abandon some of the "let it all hang out" story teller sound in real life!
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, brilliant!!!!!

Many years ago a rather famous announcer was venting to me that he could not get arrested in vo other than his high profile, high paying regular type of gig. For that job, he "put on" an old fashioned announcer type delivery. Fine for that job, but outdated for most anything else. He had zero acting training. Yet, he wanted help.

I told his wife to hide a tape recorder at breakfast. He had 2 small kids, and I wanted him to hear his dad/family voice.

When he heard it back he complained, "That's just me being me!" I said, "EXACTLY!!!"

He was then smart enough to get into acting classes and then vo classes, both very humbling as everyone knew who he was. He studied acting for a good year, then did another year of vo classes, followed by workout groups. I admired his drive. He was willing to do whatever it took.
colinsz1
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

I've read what everyone else thought and mostly agree. It sounds like to me personally, that you're forcing a lot out instead of letting it happen naturally and at the end of the demo there's clearly a stumble on a word, which is not a good thing to have in a demo. I do like the range of your voice, it can go deep and persuasive to a mid range normal tone like in the beginning of the demo. Just keep practicing and you'll improve!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: