VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Website & Demo Critique
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy Donahue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Website & Demo Critique Reply with quote

First time post...

I would like some honest evealuation of both my website as a whole and my demos.

I'm an IT professional who does voiceovers on the side. I've done four audiobooks and one internet promo video as of this post.

All of the demos on the site are homemade...

Problems I'm already aware of:
- If viewing my website through an outdated version of IE things may look discombobulated (I coded all of it from scratch and I'm not perfect)...however it does work in all browsers including at least the last 5 versions of IE...make sure JavaScript is enabled (otherwise things will definitely look funky)
- For a reason that I have not figured out yet, my audio player will not work on Linux based operating systems (which includes Androids)...So if there are any fellow coders out there who have any advice in that regard I welcome your input (my audio players are embeded from Voices.com)
- Yes, my demos aren't labeled. I haven't found a way to work that in that's asthetically pleasing to me yet. That's why I keep the one with the most variety in the middle - it's the one the user typically engages with first

Feel free to read my blog and comment if you want...I haven't updated it in a while (at least two months), and I don't have a whole bunch anyway

It should look good on any platform you view it through (desktop, iPad, SmartPhone etc.)
If there are any issues I'm glad to hear about them

And of course your unabashed critiques are welcome (No worries I have thick skin)

http://www.thevoiceofjeremydonahue.com/index.php
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio was fine although a little too affected. Your voice is good enough whereas "Jerry on the radio" belongs in the 1980s. Remove the reference to voices.com as you are promoting you. Also rid yourself of the rate card as it does you no favours at all.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeremy!

What I got from your site is, you are advertising you do all things VO but don't have the goods to back it up. Every genre of VO that you are "available for" needs it's own demo. Buyers get a bit leery when voice actors tries to sell themselves as a one man VO band. They don't want you available, they want you brilliant. Your site is your calling card. Your competition who is working has a demo to back up every category and genre. From agents to buyers, they ain't gonna take your word for it. There are too many brilliant choices out there.

Your demos feel home made. They may not be, but that's how they sound to me. Everyone has the ability today to research the top demos from the top working professionals. This is a luxury I didn't have when I started out. Check out http://www.voicebank.net/app/promoList.do?CLR=-1 Surf Abrams Artists, Atlas Talent, AVO, CESD, SBV, DPN, etc. The starred names have websites. Compare your site with those of working actors.

Your site is labeled "voice-over and audio books." Audio books is voice-over. It would be like being a dancer with a website that said "dancing and ballet."

Also, compare your demo(s) to these producers: http://www.demosthatrock.com/portfolio.html
http://www.mmvoiceover.com/

I think you are on the right track. But you need better marketing tools. And the reads I heard aren't bad. But you get one opportunity to wow em. It's hard to impossible to get second chances. Gotta make the first one count. Take it all up a few notches.

Hope this helps.
Jeremy Donahue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's what I'm talking about! This is the kind of advice you can't get at home.

@Philip Banks
Are you referring to just my car commercial or the whole lot? I definitely agree if you're talking about my car commercial. I always had doubts about that one (but it amused me).
In regards to the rate card, would you suggest lowering the prices or ridding myself of it altogether. I'm assuming that you are saying: I'm not up to snuff enough to charge those rates.
Thank you for your advice it is greatly appreciated.

@Bob Bergen
Yes they are most assuredly homemade. I've felt that I should seek the service of a professional for my demos. However, the advice from those immediately around me have been "Why spend the money, they probably won't be any better than yours". I've doubted that was true, but chose to lean towards their interpretation due to a lack of desire to spend the money.
When you say the reads aren't bad, what do you mean? What could I do to improve? I have some ideas as to what I could have done better, but I'd like to hear someone elses.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car spot most certainly.

Rate card on web page simply should not be there if for no other reason than it says "Hello, I'm David Ciccarelli"
Jeremy Donahue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Philip Banks
Hahaha David Cicarelli - It's that obvious that I "borrowed it" from voices.com
Would you suggest I still have a rate card but perhaps a more personalized one?
Or should I remove it completely and have a custom one that is upon request only?
Also I will definitely remove the car commercial, I feel you on that for sure
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rate on the site but it is useful to have one on file. Tyre kickers tend to ask for rate cards, people who have a job in mind for you will ask for a price.
colinsz1
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jeremy,

I listened to some of your demos and looked over your site. You have a good relaxing voice, and I could listen to it for a long while. The only thing I found annoying about this site was the continually flipping section of your audiobooks on the main page. For example, I was listening to your demos and I kept seeing those audio book covers flipping and then I would just look at them rather than listening to your voice. However, all around a good unique looking site that is well functional.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Donahue wrote:
Now that's what I'm talking about! This is the kind of advice you can't get at home.

@Bob Bergen
Yes they are most assuredly homemade. I've felt that I should seek the service of a professional for my demos. However, the advice from those immediately around me have been "Why spend the money, they probably won't be any better than yours". I've doubted that was true, but chose to lean towards their interpretation due to a lack of desire to spend the money.
When you say the reads aren't bad, what do you mean? What could I do to improve? I have some ideas as to what I could have done better, but I'd like to hear someone elses.

I come from the school of doing anything and everything to stand out and be better than the rest. Mediocre marketing brings mediocre results. Put yourself in the buyer's chair. Who will impress more, the person with the best, most competetive demo and site or the person who appears to have taken the financial shortcut??

How can your reads improve?? Well, take a listen to the demos from the producers I posted. Just listening to competetive product should help demonstrate what's missing from yours. Surf the vo agent's clients on Voicebank. Your demos feel like you just aren't aware of what a competetive read and demo are all about. How much training have you had???? You list numerous categories of vo you are available for. Have you trained in all of these?? I don't think you have the demos for each genre, but you need to if you are going to promote you are competetive in each. And this is all vo 101. This is why I'm questioning your training and preparation.

Does this help??
B
Jeremy Donahue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@colinsz1
Thank you for the compliment. In reference to the rotating pictures, I will have to say - that's probably my favorite part of the site unfortunately. I understand that it could potentially be distracting, but once I refine my demos to a point where they are outstanding I do not think that it will make much of a difference one way or the other. They won't be so mesmerized by them that they will completely forget to listen haha. I may change it one day but not yet, I feel my demos should be my main focus right now. Again thank you for your kind word in regards to the quality of my voice.

@Bob Bergen
I definitely get what your referring to. I've taken a listen to some professional demos (via the links that you provided me and even before this). And like I've said, I even personally feel that mine are lacking that competitive edge. I've just chosen to give it a go on my own for the time being because of a lack of money (not an unwillingness to spend it) - along with some initial success that made me feel like I was doing a fine job on my own. But this is the kind of advice I needed to hear. This is what will get me moving in a better direction.

And your suspicions are correct - I have absolutely no training whatsoever. I've wanted to seek that out but I've also spent the last 9 months unemployeed. So I've had absolutely no extra money. I'm working again now so it may be something I can work into my budget. Do you have any suggestions as to who I could possibly work with? Is that something that you do? If you are who your name suggests you are, then I would definitely be interested. I live in the Seattle area if you have any suggestions as to where I could go or who I could see. If not, that's fine, I can make another post seeking that answer. Otherwise you've been very helpful, thank you.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I think I am who my name suggests. But now I have my doubts. Wink

I only teach animation, and don't have any Seattle workshops planned. My LA class has a pretty long wait list. So, I don't think I'm your guy, sorry.

You are in the same boat as everyone else. Unless you come from money, most actors don't got it. So, you do what we all did. Day jobs, night jobs, weekend jobs. You save up so you can pursue your career in the most professional way possible.

The demo and website is the final step after study. By virtue of posting your demo, you invite the entire world to judge and critique. This is also a byproduct of the Internet. You used to physically give your demo to buyers. Today, you post it. If the demo you hand delivered sucked, odds are you didn't hand it to that many. If you post it, 1000s or more scrutinize. And as I said, it's hard to impossible to get a second chance.

Once agin, put yourself in the buyer's chair. No one wants to represent or hire the actor who did it cheap and fast. They want the best. Brillant work gets passed on daily because there are only so many jobs to be had. But the mediocre more than likely aren't even in the running.

I'm also of the "no excuses" school. No money??? None of us did starting out. But we didn't put ourselves out there seeking vo work when we weren't ready. That closes doors, it doesn't open em. Need money to pay for your acting training? Day jobs!!! Now, if you are fortunate to be working doing audio books, and it looks like you are, just market that. But don't seek vo work to finance your training for vo work.

Those who are truly successful at this have a, "What else/more can I do?" bounce in their step. No shortcuts, nothing half assed. They strive to be and do everything better and work harder than the rest. This is how I've always lived my life/career. Same goes for every successful vo actor I know.

Unfortunately I can't suggest Seattle coaches. But I'm sure someone here can.

But don't show your wares before you are ready! You get one chance to make a great first impression. Study acting, study improv. Then study vo. Take business and marketing classes. Don't be amongst the herd, be in front of it. The business will always be here. Be smart and strategic with your career.

Bob (I think)
Jeremy Donahue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bob Bergen
Hahaha I guess you would always be who your name suggests you are hahaha
Thank you for the advice...
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy, as ever, Bob's advice (and yes, he is who his name suggests he is) is golden.

You'd have a hard time finding a more insightful, more generous VO pro, so ignore his advice at your peril. (Though I know you're too smart to do that.) Smile
Jeremy Donahue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DougVox
Certainly...I wouldn't dare ignore it. I respect and value his advice.
For now I've removed my website...no worries it's backed up on both my computer and Google Drive (so it's there when I need it). That way I can reallocate the hosting funds towards training.
sdaeley17
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy!

Welcome to the VO-BB! I'm sure you can already appreciate it for the wonderful resource it is. I wanted to wish you luck in your VO quest and help you out as best I can, with as many free resources as I can think of.

Edge Studio-training and education center, they have a script library for practicing, open forums to receive feedback for your reads, a mic selector to pick out a mic within your budget, a weekly script reading contest where you can win free training, (i actually got first place for one of these, woohoo!)and a bunch of other free and paid resources
Voiceover Xtra- an online voiceover magazine with articles in several categories (business, tech, voiceacting, audiobooks, auditioning, etc.) tons of great tips and advice

Coaches: I'm also from the Seattle Area (Bellingham) and there used to be a coach or two listed in the area, but that no longer seems to be the case.

You may be interested in online coaching. I can heartily recommend Terry Daniel (and I hope others here can too, haha!) He is flexible, his students have a high success rate, and his rates for training and demo productions are very reasonable.

Others that come to mind are Pat Fraley, Nancy Wolfson, Deb Munro, Jonathan Tilley, and many others.

Podcasts:

Rob Paulsen's Talkin' Toons podcast- hilarious interviews with well known voiceactors led by rob paulsen (voice of raphael, pinky, yakko warner)

Crispin Freeman's voiceacting mastery- short and sweet podcasts mainly focused on anime and animation, covering character creation, discovering your type, and voiceactor interviews

VO buzzweekly- interviews with voiceactors, agents, and other vo industry professionals

EWABS- East West Audio Body Shop, everything you need to know about the technical side of voiceovers, and lots of voiceactor interviews, too

Bill Dewees- A VO marketing expert with tons of free youtube videos. His book "How to make a 6 figure income doing Voiceovers" is a steal at six bucks. He also offers coaching

Blogs-

Dave Courvosiers Voiceacting in Vegas- this guy rights about everything. Check em out

Paul Strikwerda's Nethervoice blog- again, another prolific vo blogger. Highly recommended

Derek Chappells weekly list of the best vo blogs

The VO-BB (which you've obviously already found!)

Voiceover Herald

Mark Scott

Bobbin Beam

I hope you find this helpful, and again, best of luck!

Sean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: