VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IP DTL -- Yay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
panright
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: ipDTL - specific issue Reply with quote

Liz, Bob, George et al --

Been exploring IP-DTL (I use Source Connect but with my new router it's been a big headache).

One comment on another board said that a major "CON" to IP-DTL is that you MUST be able (via ProTools or whatever) to record directly off of the internet - e.g, YouTube and the like.

I have PTools and an MBOX (and API Lunchbox) but am not sure how to configure this to work with ipDTL and the free trial has expired.

I have an appt w/ Dr. Whittam tomorrow and may ask him then - but any configuration tips or hangups people would like to share will be helpful.

Thanks!
Perry
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in hearing the results here.

I have an ipDTL subscription and have been experimenting with recording the stream. It's not an urgent issue for me as I rarely have to record the incoming... I'm the one that's being recorded at down the line. I would like to be able to record... but primarily I want to know how, so I can assist the other end.

So far... taking the stream out of the computer and looping it back round into the regular input via the mixer is a no-brainer... a simple hardware solution that works well. Record in stereo, pan your mic left, the computer input right and you've got two sides of a conversation nicely separated... great for dialogue pieces or audio drama etc.

I'm on a Mac, so I was hoping to use Soundflower. However, while Soundflower intercepts and re-directs the audio from Chrome (YouTube videos etc.), it dos not intercept the incoming stream from ipDTL. This may be an opus thing... investigation under way.

Pumping the incoming stream directly into the DAW would be ideal... but I'm not sure it's anything they're working on as a matter of urgency.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, IPDTL is still a kludge when it comes to interfacing with a DAW, not a plug-in architecture like Source Connect. I've used a dedicated USB Audio Codec such as the Behringer UCA202 for this purpose (just like I would with Skype) and it works fine. Just patch into your DAW's I/O has needed with good ol' fashioned analog audio cables. SoundFlower is a Mac only thing.
If the UCA202 is too cheap for your tastes, go blow some cash on something fancier like a Scarlett 2i2.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter: another audio-routing solution (that's multi-platform) is JACK. I wrote a blog post about how to connect Skype to my DAW a while back, and later made a video on it. I don't have ipDTL, but am curious how JACK would fare in trying to route the signal. I've used SoundFlower as well, but prefer JACK for most routing purposes.

For those interested...

JACK for Windows
JACK for Mac
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Justin. I tried, but it's the same issue... Jack jacks Chrome OK, but not the ipDTL stream. I poked around for a while, but to no avail. I'm sure there are plenty of people working on this, but for the moment, a simple hardware loop seems to be the simplest option.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the new tutorial vid for ipDTL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH_h-PK5VCs
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with Soundflower not being able to route the ipDTL audio to a DAW. I emailed Kevin at ipDTL about it and he thought it might have something to do with a bug in Chrome 32 that sends audio to the wrong device when multiple audio interfaces are present. He suggested I download the Chrome Beta and try that. I did and now everything works beautifully.

The other headache I had was finding a routing that would allow the client side to listen to playback when using ipDTL as a phone patch replacement. I couldn't get it to work in software since the Apogee only seems to pass through audio coming into the mic/line inputs, not the software return But a hardware solution works well.
I use the Macs audio out and run it into the second channel of my Apogee Duet. I then created a third track on the DAW (DP7) that sits between the track I'm recoding on and the track capturing the client audio. This new track is set to send audio to the Mac output, and therefore to the second input channel of the Apogee. This way, all I need to do to playback for the client is drag the relevant audio down one track. I could also route the audio through a buss that could then send to the Apogee via the Mac, but that would involve having to Mute tracks which is a lot more hassle then simply dragging an audio file down a track.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle

Last edited by Mike on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Scarlett 18i6 and the Roland Octa-capture are both reasonably priced solutions with usb 2.0, quality preamps and converters, and software routing to handle mix-minus for Isdn, ipdtl, SourceConnect, Skype, Google Hangouts, and other coming ip solutions....

And both are dirt cheap on Craigslist, ePay, and the second hand market.... And they both make great road rigs or backups. Get one while they're still available.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBarrett wrote:
another audio-routing solution (that's multi-platform) is JACK.

Thanks for that. I didn't know Jack. Shocked
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing some testing with ipDTL, two things that are amazing to me about this software. 1 - no port mapping needed in your router. It just works. This is exactly what I was waiting for in the streaming service sector. 2 - The delay is less than you'd experience if you were talking to your friend on a cell phone. I know this because I tested it alongside a cell call and the audio arrived at the other location FASTER through ipDTL than it did through the phone, which puts it in a class by itself, faster than both ISDN and Source Connect.

Too early to know if it'll become the long-term standard in IP, but for ISDN bridging with as little delay as possible, it's pretty close to perfect.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I've been thinking, Joe.

I've worked out the routing through my mixer so I can do just that. So, with the free remote control app available through Chrome and ipDTL I can now do an ISDN session from anywhere I can get a decent broadband internet connection and there's essentially NO extra latency.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridging through a bridging partner, as with SC and say, Digifon or OutofHear? Is that what you're referring to?
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Nope. Using only my own equipment to bridge. If I'm on the road, I log in to ipDTL with my laptop, and connect to my secondary studio computer back in Pittsburgh, which I leave up and running. Since I have the HQ+ service, I use both sides of my service, one with my laptop the other with my secondary studio computer. My ISDN box inputs and outputs are routed so when I speak into my microphone attached to my laptop on the road, the audio goes through my mixer and on down the line via my ISDN box. When my client speaks to me over the ISDN, it's routed through my mixer so I can hear in my headphones attached to my laptop.

I just change my laptop's audio settings so my M-Audio Fast Track Pro that I use on the road is my set as my primary audio device while I'm doing this, which takes care of the issue of routing the ipDTL audio in and out of my laptop. When the session is done, I just change back to my normal audio settings on my laptop.
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, first reaction... Explode

Second reaction... that's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

Thank you.
+1-724-613-2749
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: