VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TurboTax
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: TurboTax Reply with quote

So, I've decided to not use my accountant this year (or, should I say, ever again...) and I plan to use TurboTax. I have an LLC for my business, and from what I've seen, it seems pretty straightforward.

Anyone else have any experience as a voice over actor using TurboTax? Tell us the good, the bad, and yes, even the ugly.

Thanks!!

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
scottnilsen
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using it for a while (I'm not an LLC, but a Sole Proprietor) and haven't found it to be too complicated. I wonder if it's because I'm not making extremely large sacks of cash and because of the amount of deductions I have (aka kids).

Well, that and mimes.

(714)408-6405 www.scottnilsen.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it for years and, to my way of thinking, most of the information it asks you for is the same stuff you'd have to gather up to give to an accountant anyway. The first time you use it, it takes a bit longer to input all the information it asks you for, but in subsequent years, it reuses some of the data from previous years, so it goes a bit quicker. Sometimes, I'll enter an item where I think it goes, only to discover, further in the process, it belonged somewhere else. Then, during the review process, I may have to go back and delete the item from the first place I entered it so as not to "double dip." Get the "Home and Business" version.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Turbotax is the way to go.

There are different levels of the program available, some specifically for small business which offer even more help and ask more involved questions about deductions for your business.

I switched years ago when I was just starting out when (at the time) I discovered that the amount I was paying the accounting firm was comparable to what I owed the government.. And what does an accountant do? Mostly put in the same numbers that you would. It's all math anyway. TT guarantees numerical accuracy and for a small additional charge they also offer assistance should you ever become the subject of an audit.

Be not afraid.
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used TT for YEARS and finally went BACK to using an accountant about 5 years ago due to the inordinate complexity of investments I have.

If you don't have things like overseas funds and annuities and stuff like that (which, I guess, TT could figure out) then it probably works for most folks. But honestly, my tax return is typically around 50-70 pages and it got to the point where I became scared I was missing a lot of stuff. I pay my accountant about $375 each year - which is, of course tax deductible - and it's worth it for my peace of mind. If the IRS comes after me, at least I can call on my accountant for some backup.

www.voicebyscott.com
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm... yes, I do see your point.

I'd have to look, but my tax return IS pretty long. However, I don't have complex investments (just an IRA). My accountant charges about the same, but last year I was charged some additional fees without them being disclosed, and so I was an unhappy customer.

My boyfriend uses TT, although his tax situation is pretty simple. I figure I'll use TT, and then compare the forms to last year's return to ensure everything that was done last year is done again this year.

I've just heard so many good things about it, and it seems user friendly, but the boyfriend suggested I ask y'all, since we're in the same biz and all. Smile

I'm also using FreshBooks for the first time this year (wow, is it so easy and amazing for the most part), and so that is *hopefully* gonna make tax time easier for me, too. I hope.

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use and recommend TT, but if your situation is complicated, it's always better to turn to a pro who can ask more nuanced questions about your situation.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a pro for the same reason i go the the emergency room when i have a broken leg. could i set it myself? probably. but it wouldn't be any fun and and it's likely i'll screw something up that will cost me more to fix later.

but that's me. i'm a eejit.

DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, you're not an eejit, Todd, and you proved it yourself...

An eejit would set his own broken leg.

Smile
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't count me out on that example alone.

DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, todd!

cool
Lynn Benson
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good pro can't be bad. TurboTax is OK if it isn't complicated. Frankly I have my wife do the taxes. That's what I do.
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used TT since I started in VO (can it really have been around that long?!?) and I love it. We have talked about going to an accountant this year because of some complex issues we've had with this house, investments and whatnot but TT can handle it. It even covered things like nanny taxes back when we had one. Oh and I use the small business one for the reasons mentioned above. The best part is drinking a glass of wine while writing out the checks and addressing the envelopes.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Turbo Tax for years but switched back last year to using a real accountant as my tax situation got more complicated. For reasonably simple returns, Turbo Tax is great: it leads you by the hand and makes the whole process more or less stress-free. You'll occasionally find yourself scratching your head but that's more a function of our wonderful US tax code than of the program.

Do plan to spend several hours stepping through it all to get your returns done. There's a lot of info to enter (but, as Lee said, it's easier in subsequent years.)
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, all!!!

I'm gonna give it a whirl.

I will be sure to double check to see I'm using the small business one (all I recall right now is the one I checked out was $74.99).

Mandy, I'm gonna need a few bottles of wine to drink whilst I write checks and address envelopes to the IRS in the ol' ATL.

Ugh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: