VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a little survey: Who uses Mac and Firewire interfaces?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Just a little survey: Who uses Mac and Firewire interfaces? Reply with quote

Over the last year or so I've had a rash of clients who had once relied on the believed "most stable" audio interface solution for Mac, Firewire, experience a tremendous amount of issues. I won't begin to list the names, but there are a least 6 that come to mind. Some were using the once beloved Echo AudioFire2, others using the (also once beloved) Mackie Onyx 820i mixer. Audio glitches that can't be caught until playback, which in the case of long-form narration jobs like audiobooks, is WAYYY too late. Almost of these users are recording with TwistedWave.

Has anyone else experienced this lack of firewire stability with other DAW's?
Is it TwistedWave, Mac OS, or the hardware itself? I've NEVER been able to get to the bottom of this. My solution is to plug a Lexicon Alpha USB interface into the mixer and move on, which works every time.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a PC Laptop, but I have a feeling my experiences with it might help.

Recently, my HP Desktop was basically killed by Windows 8 freaking out. So, I just booted up my old XP Windows PC, and plugged in my old Audiofire 2 that had been sitting in its box for a few years and got to it.

It sounded great. I had missed that Audiofire 2. I had ditched it for a faster computer that didn't have firewire. But I had a lot of dropouts with the AF2 this time. Maybe like one every five minutes. I had a few dropouts when I was using this laptop before, but now it was a nuisance! I updated the drivers and it still didn't work right.

I record on Adobe Audition 3. The dropouts were horrible when I used the Temp Folder on the laptop. When I put the Temp Folder on an external drive, it improved a bunch, but it still had dropouts now and then. Once I hooked up a second external drive for the secondary Temp Folder, I haven't had a dropout in months.

I know in the PC realm that you have to have a Texas Instrument firewire chipset in the computer or go home (this laptop has one). It just won't be reliable in most cases.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Mac Pro with Snow Leopard and an Apogee Duet. I'm using either Audition (5.5) or SoundStudio 4. For the most part this has been flawless. The only time I have ever had an issue with it is when I used to run an iSight camera as well. I was told that it was a known problem that the Apogee Duet didn't play nicely when the Firewire iSight was connected. Since I changed to a USB camera for Skype, there have been no issues. Well, apart from the fact that if you accidentally disconnect the Firewire cable from the Duet, The Apogee Maestro software crashes... but I think that's because the Maestro software is a tad flaky anyway.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a Digi 002 and Mac Mini 08' for a couple of years with ProTools, Twisted Wave and Logic.. never an issue... with or without an external drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 12 years ago I got a MOTU 828 Firewire device and several years ago upgraded to the 828 MkII. These have all gone into a variety of Macs over the years... lately a Mini. I've used their free software, Audiodesk, almost exclusively and it seems to work fine. The only glitch (instability) I had is when a Firewire cable when bad. Everything acted strangely and the eventual replacement of the cable fixed it.

I purchased Twisted Wave a while back so that I could take your video class on mastering for Audible and I think I've got that down (they're accepting my books), but I have found it really strange in comparison to my current software for recording fresh material. I think I need to take some lessons and ask some probing questions.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on mountain lion, audition cs6 and motu 896 firewire and have had no problems.

FinMac
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Focusrite, mac mini and twisted wave Reply with quote

Had a Focusrite Pro 14 firewire, with mac mini and TW.

System would often crash (when the internet was open).

Got the Audient iD22 Smile (usb 2) and perhaps the system has crashed twice in a month, and I think that was internet related, not the interface!

Now I am a happy camper!

Mac

"If you want to get to the top, you have to get off your bottom". (Unknown)
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac Mini with Apogee Duet here....have been quite satisfied with it.

Also have a MOTU Ultralite MK II that has performed flawlessly.
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George,

I'm one of the Twisted Wave and Echo Audiofire2 users that had a ton of problems. Not initially — initially it sounded great — but after a while. I never did figure out what had changed. A Snow Leopard update? The phase of the moon? I do mostly long e-learning things and it was killing me. I finally gave up and got an M-Audio c-400 USB interface and the problems went away.
Monk
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a MacPro running OS 10.6.8 using a MOTU 2408mk3 via firewire to a dedicated PCIe card.

No problems at all with ProTools 10.3.7, not even a stutter.

www.monksvoice.com
Velfin
Been Here Awhile

Location: Currently Eastside Seattle / Formerly SW Minneapolis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a Mac (Mountain Lion) running Twisted Wave with my Duet connected via firewire and haven't had any problems. Well, with that part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, it seems that Digidesign and MOTU Firewire drivers are more stable than Mackie and Echo Firewire drivers, good to know...
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
TLynch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2006 model MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and a ProTools LE8. The MacBook Pro is getting to the point where fans and battery need to be replaced, but I have my microphone isolated in another space with some sound absorption. I was interested in the Mac Mini when reviewing new computers. Considering everyone here has it and likes it, I will be looking even further into it now when I get to the point I have to upgrade. The extra space on my desktop would be really nice.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bonus with the Minis, if you already have a decent monitor and keyboard/mouse, all you need is the $700 Mini. A bargain for a Mac.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBox 3 Pro into Windows 7 PC. One of the reasons I went with the MBox 3rd Gen Pro is because it IS Firewire as opposed to USB. It's been used all day, six days a week, for over two years, no issues.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: