VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heavier boom arm springs??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Heavier boom arm springs?? Reply with quote

I just picked up a pretty nice mic boom arm off ebay, a bit small to snake the mic cable thru it, but I can tie wrap it.

It came with 2 sets of springs, one set of 1 lb, and 3lb. even the 3 lb springs have a tough time with my Rode NT-2 and an EV RE20. do they make stronger springs? anyone have an idea who stocks them?

Thanks
steveanthony
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: O C White Reply with quote

Try these guys:

http://www.ocwhite.com/html/el.htm
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful not to go too much heavier on the springs... your boom-arms metal might not stand the strain... and then you will have a a bunch of twisted metal around a broken mic...

Toodles

Frank F
Edo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will help a little... I use OC&White's but you can try the following:

Cut a length of garden hose and put it around the springs. Also, some stores sell flexible heat shrink tubing (I hope my English is good enough to explain/describe what I mean). Not only it avoids noise from the springs, it tightens them up too, so the stand can overall lift a bit more microphone weight. You fix those tubings with a heat gun or hi-power blowdryer. Good luck!

Regards from The Netherlands,

Edo
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea Edo, I have some heat shrink tubing right here in the drawer. left over from another DIY project.

thanks all for the idea, and Frank for the warning... heeded.
DaveChristi
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

If it's the boom I'm thinking of... ( bought one off of eBay too) it only came with 2 of the 3lb springs (right?). So you were left with having to use the 1lb springs on either the top or bottom.

In my case I used a 1lb and a 3lb as the top set and the bottom set. This made the boom strong enough to hold up an RE20.

I had tried a couple springs from OCWhite, but they were to long to fit on this boom.

If I have totally missed the mark and this doesn't apply to your boom, my appologies.
Bill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

no need to apologize, you hit the boom on the arm. Rolls Eyes that's the one. I'll give that a try. I'm working on a home brew 10 inch riser as well.
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I use.
Pro-Mic Arm- $59
If you look, you can catch two arms for $99. The sweet deal is the XLR plug in the stand and the riser that comes with it. Metal and very sturdy. I have a C1 and an RE-20 and it handles them with no problem.
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not meaning to hi-jack your thread, but I understand your dilemma.
I have six spring arms in one of my control rooms and it's for sure that during a group recording session, someone will need to adjust by grabbing and yanking on the mic. When they do it on the arms with outside-mounted springs, it sounds like godzilla screeching an attack on Toyko.

Arms with intenal springs seem to be quieter and the ability to hide the cable in the arm sure makes clutter control easier. You can adjust the weight control were the springs connect at top or bottom.
A lot of techs like these:
http://www.heilsound.com/pro/products/pl2t/index.htm
WE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: