VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy Father's Day!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Happy Father's Day! Reply with quote

From The Writer's Almanac:

Today is Father's Day, a holiday in this country that goes back to a Sunday morning in May of 1909, when a woman named Sonora Smart Dodd was sitting in church in Spokane, Washington, listening to a Mother's Day sermon. She thought of her father who had raised her and her siblings after her mother died in childbirth, and she thought that fathers should get recognition too.

So she asked the minister of the church if he would deliver a sermon honoring fathers on her father's birthday, which was coming up in June, and the minister did. And the tradition of Father's Day caught on, though rather slowly. Mother's Day became an official holiday in 1914; Father's Day, not until 1972.

Mother's Day is still the busiest day of the year for florists, restaurants and long distance phone companies. Father's Day is the day on which the most collect phone calls are made.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is special, the wife hands me a shopping list. On the list is a b-day card for her brother and a father's day card. I figure it's for the FIL. So, this morning I open my card and it's the same goddamned card I bought two weeks ago.

Now, they're naggin' me about taking my studio down so that the room is ready for the fire restoration people to start cleaning on Tue. I'm like, "Leave me the hell alone!" You all know I gotta get working on puking out this theological tome on Solas Fides." Truly, a great work in pedantry.

Well, back to whether Faith Alone will punch yer ticket and get yer ass into heaven.
billelder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre,

Great story! Thanks for the info.

DISCLAIMER: Crest has been shown to be an effective decay-preventive dentifrice that can be of significant value when used as directed in a conscientiously applied program of oral hygiene and regular professional care.

Last edited by billelder on Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all cool it and call your Dads collect, OK?

:twisted:
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you for the history lesson DB -- I didn't know that stuff.

I ordered a small gift for my hubby for Father's Day that didn't look like it was going to show up in time, if ever. Not rolling in dough at the moment so I didn't spring for the Dr. Shroud tee shirt this time. While I was browsing the website of a local radio station to see if they might be a potential source of revenue, I spotted a contest -- tell in 100 words or less why Dad should win a $100 gift certificate at the local lumber store, so I entered -- and won! They notified me Friday, in the nick of time. Can't remember ever winning anything before. Hubby was tickled pink with that gift.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: