VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO scripts You may hear on the air
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donald Seago

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: VO scripts You may hear on the air Reply with quote

Are VO scripts Copy Righted and/or Is it unethical to use them in a demo?
This includes ones that are running now and those you may have heard in the past.
Just wondering what everyones thoughts are?
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copyrighted? Maybe... if it's a large agency behind it.

Ethical? That's not really the question. The real question is whether or not you'll embarass yourself. If your performance is not up to that of the original, I'd recommend against it.

Our own Bob Souer has American Express on his demo, but he NAILS it.

If you can't, don't do it. You'll only end up showing how far you miss the mark.

Instead, there are plenty of copy resources on the EdgeStudios site, the P2Ps, and many more. Start there. You'll be glad you did.
cyclometh
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hired a copywriter to give me some ad copy that you'll never hear on the radio, but is still referring to major brands. That way I have unique copy and no conflict with anyone else's work.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always try to write my own unless it's a job I've actually done and the client has given the OK for the audio to be used on my demos. There are plenty of free resources (Edge has been mentioned)... but remember that many VOs are using these scripts... and you never want a listener to recognize something and be distracted from the read itself. For audiobooks and technical narration, there a whole load of good stuff in the public domain (either expired copyright or published under a Creative Commons License). For the short stuff, if you've got no writing chops, paraphrasing is your friend... take a good spot, and change the company (fictitious), the product and a few adjectives here and there and you're good to go. "The perfect Lasagne comes from the kitchen of Chef Boyardee!" becomes, "The best oranges come from the orchards of Florida farmers!"

It's not so much a question of what is right or wrong... but rather one of why bother as it's so easy to be free and clear of any possible hassles or detrimental effects with a spot of DIY (or, as Corey says... get someone else to do it). Personally, I am a little reluctant to use a real company name if it's not a real gig. The implication is that you did the gig, and if you imply it, it should be true. It's a grey area.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signed a document this morning pacifically prohibitating my using the material upon which I am upon for demonising porposes. My first demo contained complete and utter nonsense and it got me work. At the time every demo sent included my logo "I know where you live ...I know where your children go to school" ... It was a megamazing launch stradudgee.
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up producing my own demos some years ago and rely 100% on compiling previous work. It's a big challenge to beg, torture and otherwise persuade creatives/agencies to send you copies, but authentic work is the best way to go for so many reasons.

Of course, I realise Marice makes the argument that previous work only shows where you have been, not where you're going. Can't argue with that, but I'd rather have realism.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayo wrote:
Can't argue with that...
Actually, I think you can Smile

To be harsh, ignoring where you've been and only looking forward sounds like over-simplistic aphoristic claptrap. If I'm buying talent I want to know what they can do, what they have delivered in the real world and what I'm getting for my money. It's far too easy to get wrapped-up in our "art" and forget that we are mostly in a fee for service business and need a viable shop-window. An existing body of work is the best representation of that... and any reputation is built on that very thing. I'm not saying we shouldn't demonstrate our skills outside of what we've built within a body of work, but I can't flit around like an artist denying my oeuvre because I want to "move forward".

It is far too early in the morning and I'm pre-coffee, but I'm actually liking Philip's plan... don't look at the upside of hiring me, look at the downside of not!
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm both a realist and a dreamer. They say Pisces are like that. Wink

I prefer to show my best work. But I'm not beyond showing that I can reach for the stars.

When I do, I prefer to look first for good copy, preferably print, that hasn't been used on-air, or nationally. After all, if the copy sucks, it can't be saved by a good read. Using copy that hasn't been used on-air or nationally ensures I won't be compared, but can give an original performance that shines.

Looks good, smells good, the fish strikes, arcing gracefully over the water... Wink

Last edited by heyguido on Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...whether i write it or not (and i'm an experienced copywriter), i advise people to leave off brand names unless it is something they really did that's too good not to point out. otherwise, just re-write the set-up in the same style and bail out before the brand name or re-word the end of a line so the brand name is not needed to finish the example.

you have something in the vein of what you're imitating, showing you can create the same vibe, and you don't have to worry about a competing product shunning you because they think you already work for their competitor.

that's just my two cents, adjusted for inflation.
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
It's far too easy to get wrapped-up in our "art" and forget that we are mostly in a fee for service business and need a viable shop-window.

Well said, Peter. "Been there, done that" does have value.

And, I quite agree that the scripts offered by Edge Studio and others should be avoided or, at least rewritten, because they've been used countless times.

Also, copy from print ads is a good idea, but keep in mind: that copy is written for the eye, not the ear. It, too, should be rewritten.

Wink

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One key phrase in this discussion (from the thread's subject line) is "that you may hear on the air." I don't think it's a big deal to use a known brand name in your demo, assuming you are not out of your element, or you've actually done work for that brand. But if you use copy from something that your target audience is likely to hear on the air and immediately conclude that it ain't you, that could leave the impression that you are trying to fake it. Of course, if you're good enough to have actually done the recognizable spot (even if the real gig went to somebody else), it probably won't kill you to use it.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heyguido wrote:
After all, if the copy sucks, it can't be saved by a good read.

I'll have you know that our job is to make a pile of auld sh*te sound good so away with your nonsense or .....
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh No! Philip summoned a constable Gasp

We'll all have to behave or I predict a clip round the ear in the very near future!

So, to keep it vaguely on-topic, I'm reminded of something Rowell said at FaffCamp... when doing characters, no-one wants to hear your Scooby-Doo or Porky Pig... they've both been done far better than you can do them. Same with an existing broadcast ad... why would you set yourself up to be compared like that? (and, as Lee points out... "Here's something I didn't do.")
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
our job is to make a pile of auld sh*te sound good

Agreed. That is often the case.

But you won't find that "shite" going in my demo. Wink
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy for you to say ..sh*te is all I got!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: