VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO Book Recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveanthony
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Voice and Articulation" by Kenneth Crannell.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you're interested in following a stranger's lead, do what I did: throw down for Pat's (Fraley) books: The Gypsy's Guide to Professional Home Recording and The Gypsy's Guide to the Business of Voiceover, both with workbooks and accompanying CDs. I'm fascinated with gypsies, their history and their culture so anything about gypsies is good with me.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In case you're interested in following a stranger's lead, do what I did: throw down for Pat's (Fraley) books: The Gypsy's Guide to Professional Home Recording and The Gypsy's Guide to the Business of Voiceover, both with workbooks and accompanying CDs. I'm fascinated with gypsies, their history and their culture so anything about gypsies is good with me.

Hey! That "Guest" is me. Don't know why it came up that way...but know my post count will always be one less than stated in my profile.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad.
I hadn't set permissions for the LEARN forum yet.
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just unpacked my box o' VO books after 3 months and was pleased to remember that I got the "VO: Tales and Techniques" book by Harlan Hogan and Daws Butlers' "Scenes" book for Father's Day this year. Also packed in that box was my OTR collection, too. Smile Happy day!
VO-BB Member #59
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Home Recording Studio: Build It Like The Pros Reply with quote

Home Recording Studio: Build It Like The Pros by Rod Gervais.

This one is geared towards musicians but if you want to build a true home studio I highly recommend it. Rod talks about how to get started, confusing terms like modes and nodes, isolation techniques, construction details, electrical, HVAC, room treatments and more.

He does a good job of explaining the technical stuff and keeps you away from the complicated math. There are some tools and spreadsheets available for download that go with the book to help with your calculations.

Do you need it if you're just putting a mic in a spare bedroom and hanging some curtains on the wall? No. If you're investing in a professional sound from home then this is $26 to $40 well spent.
steveanthony
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm total agreement with Hart on the Rod gervais book. It's excellent. One note about that one; if you're expecting to get the lowdown on gear, it isn't there. This book is all about acoustics and the rooms you work in.
DaveChristi
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJHawke wrote:
How about advertising? This question is especially geared toward Anita and others who have a lot of experience copy-writing. What would you recommend as a good beginning book about advertising as it relates to the commercial world that VO's voice for (e.g. the psychology of wording and delivery, target audiences, demographics, etc etc). I think I've read as many books on VO as is needed, anything else is repetition; I'm wanting to mine deeper now.

Pat

Pat,

This one was passed on to me. Read it. TWICE

Dick Wasserman's That's That's Our New Ad Campaign: A Handy Guide for Ceos, Presidents, Ad Managers...
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current "must-read" with the Camp Cooperites is The Long Tail by Chris Anderson.

"Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More"

Strongly recommended by Pat Fraley.
paddyo
CM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-------------

Last edited by paddyo on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also had some success doing the "The Artist's Way." The overtly spiritual emphasis may turn some people off, but the philosophy behind the morning pages is a good one. It's a way to get yourself to start playing with creative ideas without censoring yourself. Just blurt them out (so to speak; you're actually writing them), and don't judge them as good or bad.

At the same time, I'm reading (and I recommend) "The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play" by Neil Fiore.

I've never had any trouble enjoying guilt-free play, but I am a terrible procrastinator, and this book has been really effective in forcing me to think about why I procrastinate and develop new habits and thought patterns that help me do things rather than put them off.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best things I ever did was to decide that the "fun" time I spent learning new computer programs counted as "work".
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep this thread going!

I had a gig in NYC yesterday & I always stop @ the Drama book Store on my way back over to NJ (Port Authority is just one block over)

Yesterday I picked up 2 books BESIDES "The Art of Voice Acting" (I was waiting for the 3rd ed. to come out James, really!)

"Step Up to The Mic: A Positive Approach to Succeeding in Voice Over" by Rodney Saulsberry
(Do you think he'll autograph it for me at Voice 2007? Wink
I'm already 1/2 way through it. It's an easy read, very positive. I love this stuff!

"Talking Funny For Money: An Introduction to the Cartoon/Character/Looping Area of Voice-Overs" by Pamela Lewis.
I've decided that 2007 is the year to get out of my comfort zone and learn more about the areas of VO that are outside my range for the moment. This book caught my eye & I'm really having fun with it! It comes with 2 CDs (You should have seen the looks I was getting from my neighbors with my CD headphones on doing the Laughing Pirate Family on my walk home from the bus-stop!)

That's my contribution for now!

Liz

Last edited by Lizden on Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
DaveChristi
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Book Recommendations Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
The Art of Voice Acting by James Alburger
Covers the bases nicely. Includes exercises and scripts. Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

DB

My girls got this for me for Christmas. I had to set aside Forever Odd (Dean Koontz) to read this one and so far... WOW. What an awesome book! You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking for something new to read since I've had my fill of baby books for a while. And I remembered this thread! Man there are some good suggestions in here. Now which one do I pick next?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: