VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Software Suggestion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave DeAndrea
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Software Suggestion Reply with quote

I have a friend who is just beginning their VO adventure and is wondering what recording/editing software would be the best. She purchased an iMac Desktop.

I've always used the good ole CEP 2.0 because that's what I'm comfortable with and, as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm using a PC.

I'm sure there are pros and cons to every piece of software but I'd like to hear what you guys would suggest for her? What do you use? Audacity, Adobe, Pro Tools, Garage Band, etc.? Is one considered the "industry standard"? Is it just personal preference?
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audacity works and it's free (and there are versions for PC, Mac, and Linux). Even if she decides to go with something, it wouldn't hurt to download a copy.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an iMac, you'll find a lot of love out there for Twisted Wave. One of it's notable features is the hands-on support from the developer. Personally, I use Sound Studio 4, which is pretty much the same. Both are available in the AHobo Tounge Store... Twisted Wave Lite ($20), Twisted Wave Full ($80) and Sound Studio 4 ($30). The feature development of these two is in leap-frog mode as far as I can see. If I was buying new, there are a couple of features in TW that would tempt me... but I'm just waiting for SS4 to implement them. I don't know if TW Lite is crippled in a way that makes it a pain for the VO.

Both of these are simple options... if she's after a full-blow DAW, then Adobe Audition would be a good option (and pretty much an industry standard) for $300.

I think I'd check out the features in TW Lite, Sound Studio 4 and TW Full in that order. Steer clear of using Garage Band... it's not a good option for VO (OK for podcasts and the like, but there's no easy way to edit to the level a VO would need). Again, Personally, I wouldn't touch anything ProTools with a bargepole... it's powerful, but is an incredibly badly behaved piece of software and total overkill for a VO (all that is obviously IMHO) Smile
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Software Suggestion Reply with quote

Dave DeAndrea wrote:
Is one considered the "industry standard"?

Oh no, you didn't! Rolls Eyes

Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adobe Audition 3, with 1.5 and Audacity as backups. You can find AA 1.5 on eBay for as little as $60. I found a FREE copy of AA 3 online... Smile
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, AA3 is PC only. I found all the Adobe free stuff recently as well, but Audition was not part of the Mac suite, just the Win one. I think Audition 4 (part of CS 5.5) was the first (recent) iteration of Audition for the Mac.

As far as Audacity is concerned... it's a fine program, but very "un-Mac-like" and clunky... I've also had to talk people off the ledge when using it because of some "non-intuitive" procedures. It assumes a level of software "geekiness" that can confuse some people. Again, I must add that this is IMHO. I have suggested to a number of people with Macs, that they should just stump up the $30 for SS4 and save themselves the heartache.
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that Presonus Studio One (free version) works great, and is much cleaner looking than Audacity. For getting started, it works great. It'll do everything a beginner (or most pros) needs.
Andy
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Wave gets my vote. I switched from pc to an iMac in January and therefore had to s-can Sony Audio studio (PC only) which I liked. I had to get used to the new DAW fast as I was about to produce three audiobooks. Twisted wave was easy to learn and because of its included features improved my workflow by leaps and bounds. For 80 bucks its awesome. I also have the aHobo Tounges for ipad and iPhone that come in handy for my process.

I won't say it's better than DAWs I haven't used but for someone just starting it is GREAT! Audacity while good and sufficient AND free isn't as functional for me, its a fine program for someone wanting to begin this adventure on the real, real cheap...
JCDunn
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave-

Since your friend purchased an iMac, she'll have a free copy of Garageband installed. For somebody who is just starting out, it's perfect and records up to 24 bits. The controls are easy to master and understand. Might be the best choice for learning recording software.

Free is good and Audacity is good enough. I'm on the BOD for a local community radio station and the audio trainer for our volunteers. The BOD decided to go with it because of the price and the volunteers have found it easy to learn.
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say don't start with Garageband or Pro Tools. I'm biased and prejudiced here, but the first option is very simple and probably left wanting when there's more demanded than, "record and bounce." It's probably better to be ready for eventual added work, rather than being sat there with your beard caught in the mailbox. Pro Tools is overly complicated as a starter. Twisted Wave is neat!

OBS! I use Pro Tools, myself.
JCDunn
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasp No, wait!!! Don't use ProTools. If you play any audio backwards in PT, you'll hear the voice of Phillip. Banks.

You've been warned!!!
Neil K. Hess
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using reaper and find it is EXTREMELY user friendly and cheap. http://www.reaper.fm/
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bish on most all counts here. I really really like Sound Studio (I'm using v3). and find it the most analogous to tape editing which is a good thing IMHO. I also really really dislike Audacity. I think the only thing it has going for it is that it's free.

Now, as with most of these discussions, one tends to like whatever one learned on. Well, I "learned" on some of the most high-priced pro DAWs that were out there way back when. My barometer has always been what it most like editing tape, and that's why I'm sticking with Sound Studio.

When I bought v3 it was $80. While it still does everything I need, I may have to look into jumping to v4 since it's only $30. Thanks for that info.
Dave DeAndrea
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! I've given her a link to this discussion and you've offered some great insights.
cyclometh
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go against the grain and recommend that anyone new to the audio recording world should avoid Audacity, at least at first.

The reason is simple- Audacity, while a great tool and with an even better price, does not work the same way as other tools that one will run across. It does destructive edits, doesn't do real-time processing, etc.

The problems that I had when going from Audacity to a tool like Audition or Cubase was in understanding the fundamental process of how a professional DAW works.

So, I'll recommend TwistedWave or Audition. Avoid ProTools and Cubase if you're not absolutely certain you need their feature set (and save yourself some scratch too).

I still use Audacity from time to time, though. It has more file format support than most professional DAWs, which is a huge point in its favor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: