VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home Studio Microphone for under $150?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Test
DC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gosh, I've tried out sooo many mics over the past decade. Maybe 20? My go to mics now are the Gefell M930 and the Sennheiser 416, both out of your range for now.

You've gotten a ton of good advice here. Yes, you'll need to try out a few mics with YOUR voice, if at all possible in YOUR recording environment with YOUR signal chain (preamp, digital converter, cables, etc). I've found that many if not most vendors will not let you "try out" a mic (there may be state or local laws against returning a mic that has been used, probably over some hygiene hysteria). IF you can find one willing, buy a handful of the mics suggested here and try them out AT HOME (not at the Guitar Center if you can help it - you recording environment makes a HUGE impact on your overall sound). If not, then consider buying a few used on eBay from sellers with good feedback selling audio gear (a pawnshop is more of a risk). Then you can turn around and re-sell the "losers" and make much of your money back.

From my own experience, I echo the suggestions of the Studio Projects B1 and the MXL V88. (Try finding them from good vendors on eBay and you'll get a better price than the usual suspects in the retail world). I also have the AT2050, a multi-pattern version of the AT2035, and honestly I don't like it much - I feel it sounds thin. BUT it is so easy to travel with due to it's small size and the box it came in (which can hold my MicPortPro, cable, AND small mic stand in a very small footprint) that I've kept it. It's "good enough" for non-broadcast and auditions. The V88 sounds MUCH better, but even though it is a tiny mic, it comes in a bulky, heavy aluminum case that is just too heavy yo travel with.

Hope this helps!
www.tomtest.com
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And hopefully not to threadjack, but I DID receive my CAD E100S yesterday and immediately did a super quick back-to-back comparo to my RE20 here:

http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15474

Interestingly, the general consensus I'm getting from friends on F.B. is that they ALL prefer the RE20. Personally, I'm LOVING the ever-so-subtle improvement in warmth from the CAD. At the moment it's going to be my go-to mic.

Now... to work on my danged lousy room acoustics.

www.voicebyscott.com
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
Choosing a mic is personal and like choosing underwear; you do not need to choose what the other person wears just because he/she said so.

I know, I know. I've tried I don't know how many thongs now, and I just don't get it.

Sigh.
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really have NO internal filter, do you? Rolls Eyes
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that there's not enough material in thongs to filter anything.
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even going to ask how you arrived at that conclusion. Shocked
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

That does not even come close to drawing a pretty picture....

FF
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Test wrote:
If not, then consider buying a few used on eBay from sellers with good feedback selling audio gear (a pawnshop is more of a risk). Then you can turn around and re-sell the "losers" and make much of your money back.

Here's my take and experience buying and selling mics on Ebay:

I would say in the past three years I have bought about 15 mics from sellers with good feedback on Ebay.. That's about 5 mics a year, and that maybe be a bit on the conservative side.. .Of those 15, I have 3 currently in my possession

Of the other 12, I have made my money back or close to it on the majority...of the others a) I took a beating on 2 mics, made back 1/2 of what I paid b) I had to file claims against two sellers who sold me damaged goods.. one was an RE 20 that could have doubled as a maraca there was so much internal rattling c) I made about a 25% or more profit one 1, maybe 2 mics at most.

When all was said and done it did end up setting me back in time and money. I recorded and saved samples of every mic.. Its not that hard to figure out what mic works for your voice and what doesn't.. I think I have a pretty good pair of ears..

All the mics came on recommendations of other vo people, or they were mics I heard on other people that have a similiar voice than mine..

Its kind of easy to say try a lot of mics, and see what sounds best on your voice, on your gear, and your room, but the reality is, it can be an expensive and time consuming process to bring these mics into your possession, test them out, then send them back.. I've cut back considerably on the mic purchases and when I do, I narrow them down from a lot of research I do online as to who has my voice type and whether or not the work they do, or the gear they use is similiar to mine.. The room and recording environment variable is, unfortunately, an obstacle that is difficult to overcome.

I understand why people go with the industry standard Neumann's and Sennheiser's, let me tell you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cyclometh
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with some smaller mic manufacturers. The first mic I used extensively was the Cascade M20u, which was about $150 at the time, I think. A nice sounding mic, and it's come way down in price, I found some on Amazon and such for $120. It looks like they've updated the design since I bought mine, so it'd be worth giving one a listen.

What I've found is there are some seriously great mics in the "boutique" arena where they have low volume and little name recognition but you can get some great sounding mics if you look around.
JCDunn
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wished there was a mic of the week club that somebody else but me would foot the bill for. Sigh...

I've gone through a few and currently use a BLUE Bluebird for general purpose. I have Samson VR88 ribbon mic that I use for audiobooks. Booth fit my voice well and I get great feedback on the audio from both.

My sights are on the CAD E100S that more than a handful of folks have mentioned. Now, I know what you might be thinkin', "But JC, you said that clients love what they hear."

Yeah, so? I want one.

Make sure to try several before you plunk your cash down.
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J, when you're ready to get that CAD E100S (and so far I'm in LOVE with mine), the best price I found was at B&H Photo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/667336-REG/CAD_E100S_Equitek_E100S_Supercardioid_Large.html

VERY fast (and FREE!) shipping, too.

www.voicebyscott.com
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For NY residents who prefer to shop out-of-state (if you know what I mean), Front End Audio has the same deal. They also have an interesting package for $100 more which includes headphones, pop filter, cable and acoustic shield. It looks like a great deal if you need any of these items. Here
JCDunn
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm close. I'm Close!!! Thanks for the links to deals. I'll be considering the purchase more this weekend and I'll let you know what I decide.
markt
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to look for open box or demo mics on eBay. I've gotten some great deals. And, most of the dealers there have a pretty liberal return policy.

Mark
Bob Stevens
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenpro currently has it for $369 with the pop filter, 25' cable w/ free shipping.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: