VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Luci Live

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Luci Live Reply with quote

If you subscribe to the blog from Digifon's Dave Immer, you might've seen this already. I hadn't heard of this until now.

http://digifon.createsend1.com/t/ViewEmail/j/0F4403EBE5D40505/96B5DE0BAA7189D62540EF23F30FEDED
agettig
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that it will connect to existing ISDN/IP boxes is very interesting! One of the objections to Source Connect in certain studios is having IP running on the workstation. They don't want their recording computers connected to the Internet at all. With this solution, IP goes to the codec only. This could be a real alternative to ISDN if it catches on with studios that VO folks interface with.

On a related note, I'd like to see an iPad/iPhone version of Source Connect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read it. It sounds ridiculously cool, and considering the high quality audio you can get from TwistedWave and Auria, we could be watching the future unfold.

One line in Dave's email has me concerned: "For $399 at the App Store you can buy this software IP codec that is compatible, more or less, with most current hardware IP codecs out there like Musicam Suprima, Telos Zip, Comrex Access, Mayah, Tieline and others." What does compatible, more or less mean? And what's a Telos Zip? My ISDN sessions are done with a Telos Zephyr.

Anxious to hear much more about this item!

Jim
NorthEndVoice
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Telos ZIP is their IP codec. Not ISDN.

But of course it will only "talk" to another ZIP...not any other IP hardware or software without bridging.

Last I saw, they were being sold heavily discounted.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their website said it'll work with Androids. Unfortunately, the Galaxy 2 Tab doesn't have a USB port. So nice to be on the bleeding edge. As usual, I just don't seem to be able to get the virtual railroad to get all the tracks to fit and join at the right junction points! Money Mouth
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie.... The Tab2 uses a proprietary connector in lieu of a usb port....

However, the cable that runs from your charger to your Tab2 has a usb connector on the other end.... all you would need is a usbOTG adapter.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, this brings up this question: Is anyone here using an IP codec on a regular basis... not Source Connect but a Musicam or Telos or such? Any studios using this method on a regular basis as opposed to ISDN lines?

This Luci thing works on PC and Mac and many major portable devices. Hmmm. Is the ISDN replacement here finally?

This really is a great broadcast tool. You can play separate bits of audio (interviews and such) while you're connected. Cool.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce....

Mike Carta brought this up in Charlotte last fall.... He uses one of the proprietary rigs for some of his network stuff.... but they have an identical unit on the other end, and it doesn't work with the rigs common in recording studios.

Similarly, this software codec won't work with them either. Now, if we could convince THEM to adopt a new standard.....

Sooner or later, the Telcos will price them out of ISDN, or stop serving them.
But, til that day.....

Rolls Eyes
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="heyguido".... all you would need is a usbOTG adapter.[/quote]
Thanks. I needed that.
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be the first to ask this dumb question. The Luci Live will not connect with a studio equipped with, say, Telos Zephyr only, right? Obviously, when I read Immer's email, I understood what I wanted to understand...that Luci Live would provide connectivity to my regular ISDN clients while on the road.

Sorry, Jim
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Luci will connect with many of the IP based codecs, however, most of the studios we deal with still rely on copper wired units, not the IP variety. I asked Dave Immer at Digifon about what he's selling these days and he said:

Quote:
I sell some of the IP/ISDN boxes that Musicam provides: Suprima and RoadWarrior, but still mostly ISDN boxes. I think the IP boxes are big with broadcasters but not so much with production facilities. The hardware IP codecs do a better job than the software like Source-Connect. But ISDN is still the gold standard for remote production.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
agettig
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I'm wondering if there is a standard IP codec that all of the ISDN/IP boxes are equipped with. Anyone know? Or does IP mean something different to every manufacturer?

Deployed in a studio, it's just a matter of running a network cable to the box. Well, necessary firewall ports need to be open and possibly QOS setup for the unit's address, but as far as physical installation, just a network cable and space in the rack. Possibly no software to install.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
agettig writes: "...Or does IP mean something different to every manufacturer?"

Answer: Yes. IP does not mean VOIP, nor is it the same protocol for everyone. IP is not IP and yet it IS IP. Some companies are based on simple PBX style implementations which contain much more complex VPN's and other privatized protocols - yet they are IP products designed for communications at a price.

Frank F
agettig
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's no standard protocol that the various manufacturers support, then the Luci app must be able to discern what kind of box it is talking to. Kind of an auto-negotiate thing. Hmm.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once connected to the server (there they go again, putting a server in the middle of everything), the App sends out a list of audio codecs which it contains and hopes to get an answer back from the other side saying "Oh yeah, I have that audio codec too! Let's see if we can communicate?"

But first the caller must use the proper designations and have the right codes and passwords to connect to the servers or negotiate a way to contact the other side and find out if the callee is actually available to take a call.

Frank F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: