VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

News Bulletin for Voice123 users
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but could these vo's be uneducated themselves in the area of pricing? with so many different possibilities for rates, is that something that the vo community could help them with and in turn the community as well?

That's PRECISELY the problem, Scott. At the risk of repeating myself - don't worry I won't post another long long post- I think if there were one single thing that has most contributed to low-balling deterioration of rates is that the unions have never reached out to all - non-union talent as well - to educate everyone on proper rates and why - for example - a $500 universal (just in case poland spring decides to advertise on Mars) buyout in perpetuity is a BAD idea. So new vo "talent" who are absolutely clueless about the business of the business make it up. And they usually make it up in the context of the world they live in which is - wow I make $20 p hr at my day job and this will pay me $50 for 10 minutes!!!! Most don't care about learning the business of the business, If they do, it's not easy to find the total rate a producer pays on a particular union job - and in some cases - commercials for instance - you need to be a rocket scientist moonlighting as a brain surgeon to figure them out.

So what happens? Clueless "talent" are teaching young new producers what voice talent should be paid. And THAT'S why the erosion of rates. In the non-union world there have been a couple of attempts to post a "suggested" rate sheet - voices.com and v123 have compiled stuff. But again, they put that together from suggestions from their talent, SOME of whom DO know the business of the business but MOST DON'T. Some of those rates are wacky but small wonder - the only qualification to join the sites is having a valid credit card so it can't really be considered a qualified demographic.

And there you have it. You hit the nail on the head Scott - at least as far as I'm concerned.

Ok I'm done - I'll get off my soapbox now. Explode
heyguido
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said.
Scott Lyle
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these rate sheets a private thing? I'll show my lack of practical experience here. I've heard that union rates are available, but as for non-union buyouts, how do you know if a rate sheet you're looking at that someone has posted online is accurate or up-to-date? You all have your own experience to guide you, but someone like myself who is still in the self-guided studying stages of all of this doesn't really have any idea where to turn for good advice. perhaps i'll try and answer my own question and suggest that a reputable coach might have it, si? are these sheets proprietary?

thank you for your input.
torikamal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually never got that email from Voice123, so it must have only affected some members and not others. Sorry you got hit, though--not fun!

I'd like to address two points here.
Believe it or not, Voice123 has essentially been my only link to the VO world, and I now make a full-time living through voice gigs. To be fair, most of what I make is no longer directly through Voice123, but nearly exclusively from clients I've done previous projects for through Voice123. I also do sound design and music work for video games, so I do get some income through that, but the majority of my income came somehow through Voice123.

It wasn't a smooth process, though. I got my first gig a bunch of years back through Voice123 during my trial membership, then I don't think I got a gig for nearly a year after that, and I was auditioning fairly often.

I then tweaked what kind of Smartcasts I would receive (I x'd out several areas I thought I was weak at). Now I land about 2/5 projects, which I'm pretty happy with. My score also sky-rocketed. I'm not sure if this helps or not, but it says that I currently audition 39.53% less than other Premium Subscribers.

Another thing I'd like to address is pricing. I live in Minnesota, and I don't have an agent. Honestly, I doubt an agent would even want me because I don't think I bring in enough to be worth their time. But since I live in Minnesota, I do have a lower cost of living than people on the coasts, so I can afford to make less on jobs. Initially, I took the really cheap jobs, but I don't anymore unless it looks like a really fun gig.

I know there are some bad feelings towards "bottom feeders", but if someone doesn't live on the coast, I'm not sure how else one could break into the industry. I still can't afford to join a union, and I'm not even sure what a union could provide for me out here where there really aren't any union gigs. I'd love to support the unions, but as with anything, it needs to be a two-way street.

In short, I've found great success with Voice123 as a source of ongoing clients, even if the direct income from Voic123 gigs aren't my full-time source of income.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: