VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disk or MP3?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love you too Sweetie pie xxxxxxx

By the way if any one is having trouble sleeping this will help ...

http://www.matrixscience.com/movies/experimental_design.html
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
I'm not convinced that sending a CD gets you any closer to being heard/hired than sending - let's say - an email of introduction and a link to an mp3. And it's way more expensive. That's my observation based on empirical evidence. But, I still have CDs and still send them out. Just not as often.

Dredging up an old thread, something I seem to have a knack for...

For those who do imaging: Whether it's the Hobo Laughing, Creative Director, or Production person, do you find any preference among those folks towards CDs or for mp3s (and/or links thereto)? I've heard varying reports for years now, that a lot of folks prefer having in hand the tangible object that is a CD.

Or, is it just as much a hit-or-miss proposition as other areas of VO marketing?

Why yes, I am chomping at the bit to do some imaging work, thanks... Wink

P.S. The "P.D." above shall remain a Pirate in honor of TLAP day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is an oldie.

If you're asking with an eye to formulating an MO, I would say it isn't possible to come up with a consistent practise. Most people I deal with are okay with an mp3 but enough ask for a CD that I have to keep getting the darned things (and am currently at a cover art & demo crossroads and basically paralyzed). I dislike CDs more and more since they mean one is kind of locked into a demo for as long as the pile of "compack dicks" lasts.

I suppose one could just get a CD printer (not labels) and burn 'em as needed. Then one would have maximum flexibility. That's another thread...

P.S. I don't do imaging so disregard everything I said.

Last edited by mcm on Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Oddly enough I've been doing a lot of thinking about this too. As anyone who knows me.. well, knows imaging is my favorite part of this biz.

As a former pd here's my experience:

CD's usually got at least 30 seconds of my time. If I liked what I heard they were put on a shelf and saved for later. Sometimes months or even a year or two later as we were thinking about a new voice for the station.

Postcards were generally kept in a stack on the same shelf. Sometimes the stack got too big and the ones on the bottom automatically got pitched out.

Unsolicited emails with links to mp3's (or even worse attached files) might garner a quick listen but probably not. Then they were either deleted immediately, or left to rot in my inbox for 6 months and then deleted.

Of course I was a packrat. To prove it, I have on my desk right now a copy of William Morris Agency's RadioVoices from 1998. Why? I don't know. I like listening to the demos I guess.

As a former production manager:

If it was a cd the pd gave it to me. If it was a postcard the pd gave it to me. If it was an email he'd forward it to me. All got thrown out.

Is this helpful? Maybe, maybe not; but it's two real world experiences for your reference.
dhouston67

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

Thanks; I'm getting ready to re-do my graphics (CD & site) as well. Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to skip the headaches of CD graphics, printing, dupes, etc...and will probably not get to.

P.S. Watch your mouth, young lady. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dhouston67

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

I'm a pack-rat also, as my wife will sourly attest. I hear ya.
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, PJ....good to see you again! Where you been?

Courvo
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COURVO wrote:
Hey, PJ....good to see you again! Where you been?

Courvo

Alas the date on that post is October 2005. Haven't seen PJ in months and miss him. He had such charming ways and such perfect spelling....
Travis
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't sent out a CD in about four years. Not that I haven't meant to, but I've just been too busy to run them off and mail them. If someone wants to hear my work, I send them to my web site.

Interesting change in the last few years. A decade ago every producer would have a CD player in their office. Today, they usually don't - but they DO have a computer - tied to the internet. It takes less time to get to my website than it does to take a CD out of the stupid (and probably broken) jewel-box and put i into the CD player.

I happen to run a very small internet radio station... (another project that doesn't get enough of my time). I frequently get emailed demos from musicians who want to get airplay. It clogs up my maiboxes and wastes my time. I'm not very likely to play anything submitted by someone who has sent me an .mp3 file without getting my permission first. On the other hand, a nicely worded email with a LINK to a website or .mp3 download is much more likely to get results.

A demo on the web can be played by anyone with a computer on their desk. A producer can send the link to a client instantly.

There is one place where having a CD on file comes in handy - In a lot of recording studios which have VO demo libraries, they still make use of them. I'm sure I've lost a bit of work 'cause I haven't kept them supplied with my latest demos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: