VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO Editing: Am I too 'old school?'
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be depressed and/or laugh out loud, read some of the e-learning boards on Linked-In. It's eye-opening to see how many people think text-to-speech or "I bought a mic and did it myself" is good enough.

It'll make you glad you never have to sit through their crappy training.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bransom wrote:
It's eye-opening to see how many people think text-to-speech or "I bought a mic and did it myself" is good enough.

Yeah. These are the poor unfortunates who think learning is measured by how much information is conveyed... when what really matters is how much is retained and later applied. Here again, quality wins over quantity.

For some, the novelty of producing eLearning creates too much emphasis on the 'e' and not nearly enough on the 'learning.' I would suspect there was equal fanfare when the first chalkboards, filmstrips, slides and other media were put into use.

CC Heim
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
There's no excuse for sloppy editing.

whalewtchr
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree on keeping the standard of excellence high. Nothing drives me nuts more than a poorly recorded audio file. I edit quite a few audiobooks for others and when you're up against two week deadlines, you need to determine what truly interrupts the flow and what doesn't. I've been told I am too detailed and have learned what matters and what doesn't. The quality starts with the narrator getting it right at the mic level which requires fewer edits in post.

Biggest culprits. Mouth noises, pacing and hacking breaths with entry level or mid level narrators, they just have not refined their delivery and technique quite yet and the editor inherits the mess in post. Usually I will identify an issue early on and notify the narrator to try and correct. This is a real time killer for me as I do not use batch processing. I will go in and deal with each glitch individually with a spectral editor, you learn to get quick with it.

Interestingly, I am still amazed at the number of folks who have poor noise floors or bouncing waves even with whisper booths.
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whalewtchr wrote:
I am still amazed at the number of folks who have poor noise floors or bouncing waves even with whisper booths.

I'm sure that's due in part (perhaps large part) to them knowing they need something but not knowing enough about it to use it effectively.

One example is something they've heard called "soundproofing" (few can afford a truly soundproof environment) but haven't a clue as to, say, what thickness and how much they will need, or where to place it in order to affect the offending frequencies, because they don't know what the offending frequencies are.

Or, the noise floor. They may not understand that the mic can pick up everything they hear (unless it's a good directional mic) and perhaps more. I've edited some audio for one person who clearly doesn't hear the trucks and buses passing by or the sound of the refrigerator. A person may use a noise gate, which might clean up - although obviously - the pauses between sentences, etc., but they won't understand that the noise will still be present while they're speaking because their speech keeps the noise gate open.

Knowing how to truly listen, and knowing and understanding what to listen for and, further, knowing how to use tools effectively goes a long way toward achieving good sound.

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike writes: "I'm sure that's due in part (perhaps large part) to them knowing they need something but not knowing enough about it to use it effectively.

One example is something they've heard called "soundproofing" (few can afford a truly soundproof environment) but haven't a clue as to, say, what thickness and how much they will need, or where to place it in order to affect the offending frequencies, because they don't know what the offending frequencies are. "

That is because they do not look here to find the correct information... They look on that other board. (I know, I know... there's another board????)

FF
torikamal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staying competitive is always a tricky thing. Especially when it can come down to money vs. ethics.

Although it might feel very businessy, one thing you might try with your friend is to have editing packages. Say in this package, I'll remove breaths, in this package, I'll just remove very noticeable breaths, here's the pristine package, etc.

That way you're not compromising your ethics--you're just going with what your client wants. For example, if you were to get some windows installed in your house, a window company would offer you a bunch of different options, all ranging in quality, choice, price and aesthetics. You'd select what works best for you at the time. Maybe you can't afford, or don't need the tip-top at the time, but you go with something decent.

I know trying to segment skills into packages is difficult because it's definitely a grey area, and you always want to do your best. However, I also feel like there's a difference between art and craft. If you were editing for an awesome movie or audiobook, I could totally understand not wanting to compromise your ethics, or artistic vision, but in situations where it is more craft, I think it's at least worth considering a packaged approach.

Anyhow, just some ideas.
sounddguy
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest threat is all the editing going overseas. One company that produces international training that I record a talent for now sends all their edit work to India for $15 / hour. All they want from me is the "good" take.

(And India can edit that overnight and have it back the next morning
in the US).
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the article in the following link is geared toward "music" (such as it is), the premise of the article applies not only to this conversation but to the field of VO work altogether:

http://news.yahoo.com/pop-music-sounds-same-nowadays-171714762.html

I have commented many times about making the choice to send producers files which are clean and uncompressed or otherwise processed thus allowing the producer to create his or her own feel for the resulting audio. Sending compressed or otherwise altered files results in the mundane sound which is heard on so many I-this or I-that devices.

Be different and send clients audio files which have the right to breathe.

Frank F
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen brother. The only time I do the processing mojo on my audio is when I know I'm the final person to touch it before it goes on the air, or if I know my client doesn't do their own treatment before they attach it to the video, and in those cases I've usually asked if they'd like it done before hand.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bruce for re-affirming my belief in the professional VO -- YOU!

Well said.

Frank F
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I echo each of Bruce's words, too.

The "unfiddled-with" voice is much more pleasant to listen to. And (hopefully without opening a new can of worms) it's why I also leave 98% of breaths in narration alone: because, without processing, they sound perfectly fine. Makes editing go faster, and everyone's happy.

(I use no EQ, and only a teeny bit of limiting.)

jordanreynolds
Contributor II

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with everyone here - quality is important!

I may be flying 1000 MPH when editing but I don't sacrifice quality.

Production quality is also important too. I've had a number of gigs where I provide clean, professional, raw audio to the client and they end up butchering the quality on their final product. I'm pretty sure they just opened up their DAW software, opened a multiband compressor, and selected the Voiceover preset. In the end it doesn't entirely matter, I still got paid Smile. But I also ask every client if they want raw audio or lightly processed using my audio engineering skills.

Hell, one client even downloaded the 96kbps mp3 from my V123.com audition, used it in their final video, and emailed me post-video release asking for invoice. The priority of quality really varies from client to client. But again, we're still getting paid for it in the end Smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: