VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On the Cheap
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:
I also auditioned for job this last week on Voices and was contacted this morning saying the job will be four spots and not one and would $1500 be fair for a buyout of two TV 30's and two Radio 30's. I haven't booked it yet, but that was the email I received this morning and I replied that I would.

Sure, there are bottom feeder jobs and I let them go by,

I enjoin you to think about what you just said here.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Rick Riley wrote:

Sure, there are bottom feeder jobs and I let them go by,

I enjoin you to think about what you just said here.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. They gave me the market and the length of term for the buyout. It was not a large markett and I felt it was comperable to what rates should be for the market size. I've worked major markets and small markets and I'm aquanted with each. $1500 for where it played was fair.

My point was, not everything on the mentioned P2P site is a one or two hundred dollar job.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:
I see Lee Gordon as 'Recently Hired' all the time.

They need to update their stats. Or somebody needs to recently hire me. Shocked

When I had the pleasure of meeting Rick in person, one of the first things I learned was that he had beaten me out for a Voices.com job. But that's OK; I like him anyway.

All the P2Ps are hit or miss. Last year I did pretty well with Voices.com; this year has been a little slower so far but there's still half a year to go.

The real point of this is, nobody has a gun to your head, forcing you to audition for the low paying jobs. Leave those for the low-value talent and audition for the ones that pay a reasonable rate. There may be fewer of them, but they do exist. This afternoon there was a job posted in the $750-1000 range that I would normally do for $550. I bid $750 because that was in their stated budget range. I didn't get it, but that's another story.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:
... All because an independent production company decided to see what was out there.
When they contacted me, they said I bid more than they had budgeted, but they met my offer and we've had an extremely mutually benefitting relationship ever since.

and that, to me, is a different and interesting perspective of what p2p sites might do for you, or me.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Scott Pollak
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$2200 budget for a :30 Univ. of AZ ad on V123 this morning.

www.voicebyscott.com
torikamal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents, as I use Voice123.

I'd probably qualify as a bottom feeder, but I don't know of any other way to break into the industry.

I still pick up a $50, or $75 job here and there, but only for roles that I really think I'll enjoy, or that I feel like I could nail for minimal effort.

My niche is video game lead/characters, so those are the jobs I audition for--I don't do commercials, although I do some IVR and industrial work.

The biggest benefit I've found from Voice123 is generally not the spots I get, but the repeat clients I land from them.

I've landed a couple $1,000+ roles, and $150/hr roles, but most of the gigs on Voice123 don't pay a whole lot. However, I almost always get ongoing work from the $50-$75 clients, who usually have me do multiple characters, so the fees go up a little bit more, and they just send the offers straight to me without going through Voice123. It's easy because I now know just what they're looking for and they know what they'll get from me.

And yeah, I know that commercial work pays way more, but that's not my bag, plus there are tons of people that are way better at it than me.

OK, so to sum up--I've found the Voice123 is most helpful for landing repeat clients, instead of a realistic outright moneymaker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: