VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do You Get Into Character With Minimal Information?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torikamal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man, I'd love to take a gander at the video if it is availed at some point!

OK, since in a rather flimsy way, it could still somewhat construed as on-topic, I have another question:

I tend to do a lot of different voices for games, which I can do relatively easily, and not sound too similar, but really only if the deliveries can be rather tongue-in cheeky, or with accents.

When doing a serious role, I really find that I have to stick to one character in the production, because I can't make two work together without something sounding off. (I hope that makes sense).

Do you guys have any tips for how to pull off two different-sounding serious roles in a production that have dialog together?

Sorry--I find a great resource, and I just keep asking questions!
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it starts by doing two things:

The first is exploring the different "you's". Without trying to be a character, record yourself, placing yourself in varied situations; elated, angry, playful, flirty, tired, hyper, etc. Then try to think of yourself when you were 10 years younger, how you might have acted, language, and so frth and think of what you might sound like in 20 years.

If you spend enough time doing this, you will probably come up with several versions of "you" that not only increase your range and acting chops, but that can show enough significant differences as to seem to actually be different people. This is enhanced when you study others in similar situations to understand how your meter and inflection changes dependent upon age and emotional situations.

The second part of the equation would include bringing in varied aspects of the behaviors you witness in others; the mechanics, facial expressions, etc. For example, a recent observation regarding today's youth is that they tend to not open their mouths very much, and whether a script is written this way or not, mentally there is a shorthand of speech. There often tends to be a rise in inflection at the end of statements that almost makes the statement sound like a question. Also, don't be afraid to incorporate hemming and hawing, slight stutters and other imperfections. One character I did year's ago would do a lot of uhums and ahhas.

Play with tongue placement and even speaking partially through your nose or through your chest.

I would even see if you could just do this while on a phone call or talking with a friend or family member in real life. The more time you spend practicing how these "characters" act in regular situations, the more natural they will become.

There doesn't need to be a huge difference from one to another, so much as the many subtle, little differences that are combined to create the texture of the character.

A great improv game to try is called layering. You walk around in circles and ask people to throw out suggestions to you, such as you're 80 years old, you've got trouble saying "a's", you have to go the bathroom, you just saw a guy that ripped you off for $1,000 5 years ago. You take on each suggestion by adding it to the previous suggestions.

Good Luck.

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invaluable stuff, JS
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you see... what JS has described is FUN! It hardly seems like work, and at the end of the "exercise" you feel SO jazzed.

Wink
jsgilbert
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I try to speak to what seems to have worked for myself and for others who I know are doing well in v.o.

I'm a huge proponent for improvisational training, as well as stage or on-camera acting training. I also noticed as a producer/ director, that voice talent who have some singing chops are generally pretty easy to direct.

My personal experience is that many of the specific voice over classes are pretty ineffective, as well as being pretty high priced. I do suppose it's a two way street and the individuals destined to go anywhere will either figure out a way to maximize their training and/ or succeed despite not getting the best education possible. I've also found that beyond the whole "bit by the voice acting bug" thing, the ones who make it, have the good sense of eventually distancing themselves from those they need to distance themselves from.

Start doing improv and you just might see your bookings go up.

But the main thing is that after everything is said and done there may be little to show for it, so at least have it be fun!

js@jsgilbert.com
www.jsgilbert.com

"today is the first day of the rest of the week"
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also noticed as a producer/ director, that voice talent who have some singing chops are generally pretty easy to direct.

This is SO TRUE. What a blessing it is to have a capable singer as a vo talent on a project! (YES Whitney, I mean you!)
torikamal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, JS!
Just got back from a little vacation to find this wonderful treat of great advice!

Luckily my wife has gotten really good at tuning me out while I make strange sounds and voices, because she's now got a bunch more coming her way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: