VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux XP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Linux XP Reply with quote

Has anyone used this linux? I'm tired of MS and Windows...
I wonder if it's compatible with all my stuff?
Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks!
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have indeed used Linux...and still do, occassionally. My favorite flavor is Fedora Core 3, although I believe they are up to 5 now and are testing version 6. It's the free Red Hat version by the way. I run a personal server in my home with Red Hat 9. http://oppalumni.net Uptime has been just over 300 days. No problems Smile

My Linux OS sees the Mia/Midi card in my box, but doesn't know what to do with it. I have tried loading up the modules and getting everything installed that it needs...but still no joy. The software you must use is Audacity (free download for ALL OS's) unless there is another recording software for Linux I haven't heard of yet. It is fun to play with and you'll learn quite a bit about your computer in general, things that Windows hides from the everyday user.

Unless you have ALOT of time and a few Linux guru's to help, I wouldn't bother with trying to get a Linux recording system up and running. Stay with Windows or get a Mac.
steveanthony
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Allen in that the learning curve for Linux is pretty steep. If I was running a web server, it would be a viable option. For workstation/desktop applications, too limiting in available software.

I've started to de-microsoft my computer and go with free stuff. Here are some sites offering free alternatives:

www.mozilla.org - Firefox web browser and Thunderbird email
www.openoffice.org - word processing and spreadsheet. Your Word and Exel documents should have no problem making the migration.
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/ - A very nice FTP program

With the exception of audio recording (I still like my old Sound Forge 6.0), those programs cover a lot of ground and they're all free.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Linux XP Reply with quote

Gp wrote:
Has anyone used this linux? I'm tired of MS and Windows...
I wonder if it's compatible with all my stuff?
Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks!

Gp,

I've not heard anything significant about this distribution of Linux. I currently triple boot my system between WinXP Pro SP2, Mandriva 2006 and Linspire 5. In Mandriva I can use my M-audio MobilePre, but I'm just not that fond of Audacity's user interface, so I continue to use Windows for the majority of my audio work.

There is a multimedia Linux distribution being developed specifically targeted at audio and music. It's called Agnula DeMuDi, and is built on the popular Ubuntu/Debian distribution. I've looked at it, but haven't added it into my workstation mix yet.

Firefox and Thunderbird from Mozilla.org have up-to-date versions to run on pretty much any Linux distribution. As does OpenOffice. Any distribution you get of Linux will have FTP, browser, email and other basic applications. It's the audio stuff that will be a challenge. Or, at least that's been my experience to date.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all your input. I finally have the main computer back up and running. Not being able to do any voice stuff for 2 weeks has me jonesing. (is that a real word?)
I started out buying a new quiet case and a 19" wide monitor, which I'll mount on the wall, and ended up spending nearly 500.00 getting the thing running again.
I'm using the old case right now (had to send the one with the bad power supply back for an exchange) and with the new processor fan it's really pretty quiet. I would imagine once I get the new case and have my isolation box finished (today's project) it will be really quiet.
I lost a number of files putting the new system in and have decided it's also time to buy a large hard drive and put everything related to VO on it. I'll keep my system and other programs on my 60gig drive. I'll be posting some pics of my set up here in the next little while.
Gp
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gp wrote:
Thanks everyone for all your input. I finally have the main computer back up and running. Not being able to do any voice stuff for 2 weeks has me jonesing. (is that a real word?)

Yep! From the Apple Computer Dictionary:

jones |j?nz| informal noun a fixation on or compulsive desire for someone or something, typically a drug; an addiction : a two-year amphetamine jones.
verb [ intrans. ] ( jones on/for) have a fixation on; be addicted to : Palmer was jonesing for some coke again.
ORIGIN 1960s: said to come from Jones Alley, in Manhattan, associated with drug addicts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: