VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to buy the mic!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marko. Thanks for the tip....that brings me back to my question about whether the 103 is a mic that is suited to my voice type or better suited to another.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

There's also a couple for sale on Gearslutz.com in the classified section for $700 and under. Just thought I'd pass that along also.
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russ. I've only looked on the main audio sites and they are going for 999.
The anniversary edition with the case and shockmount are going for 11 hundred and something.
That's just alot of money when u don't know if it will be right for u or not.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I guess about everyone has studied the results of the side-by-side tests at Transom.com:
http://www.transom.org/tools/recording_interviewing/200508.mic_shootout.html
...but even with similar voices on the same mics, there are still subtle differences that make YOU feel good about the end result.
A tech with good ears can detect the different nuances in a spoken voice over a particular mic and processing chain like a fine wine critic can tell the differences in the same varietals of fine wine.
My suggestion is to establish a relationship with a dealer in the brands you are interested in. They will usually allow you to purchase the first mic and work with you until you find the perfect match.
I know dealers like Cascademedia.net, SoundPure, Atlas, and others have experience in premium lines and with others that may be using them as you would.
Summit Audio is setting up a demo arrangement for the new Lauten mics.
Or you may want to contact the folks that make a particular brand you may be interested in and ask who they suggest can help. (I did that with Larry Villella at ADK and was amazed at the examples of VO artist that have already gone though the process. It led me to a fantastic deal on the model TL that would probably match your delivery to a tee.)
Others here can make more and better suggestions.
Best of luck with this important project. Please document your process here so we can all benefit.
Thanks
Willie
CWToo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edo wrote:
If you have the opportunity, try the tubes from Blue (also by Neumann),

First I've ever heard that... Neumann is part of Seinheser, but Baltic Latvian Universal Electronics is some weird lash-up between the American distributer and the Latvian factory.

Quote:
I'll also never get rid of my Rode NT-2's...

Good advice. Keeping decent mics around is a lot like keeping an extra computer keyboard around. You never know when you'll need it.

Tropical Storm Ernesto dropped around 6 inches of water around here and a leak developed in my roof. Dripped water on my AudioTechnica mic and havn't had the heart to test it (or dig the backup out of the closet).
Edo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CWToo wrote:
Edo wrote:
If you have the opportunity, try the tubes from Blue (also by Neumann),

First I've ever heard that... Neumann is part of Seinheser, but Baltic Latvian Universal Electronics is some weird lash-up between the American distributer and the Latvian factory.

One of the guys that started the company, Skipper Wise, told me so himself... he and the Latvian guy who does all the research for him met at the Dutch (veronica) tv show 'Countdown' I had been co-producing for a while. That's where I first heard the story about an 'undercover joint venture' with the Neumann factory... it was also confirmed by that Sennheiser rep I met at the AES in Barcelona last year. Skipper Wise is a recording artist who scored a couple of big European hits between 1988 and 1995.

Quote:
Quote:
I'll also never get rid of my Rode NT-2's...

Good advice. Keeping decent mics around is a lot like keeping an extra computer keyboard around. You never know when you'll need it.

Tropical Storm Ernesto dropped around 6 inches of water around here and a leak developed in my roof. Dripped water on my AudioTechnica mic and havn't had the heart to test it (or dig the backup out of the closet).

You won't have a lack of 'wet' signal when you record now huh? Smile
Hope it still does the job...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: