VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Collections - getting your/our money?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Collections - getting your/our money? Reply with quote

Just an interesting note of late. I have been dealing with several large corporations for many years, just recently they are beginning to take sixty days or longer to make payment.

Many times I have heard the excuse "the check is in the mail". Or, "our system sent your check to a different address". Or,"...that's our policy now".

Is it just me or are many talented people having a simialr problem?

Oh, I must add, I do eventually get the check... it just takes forever...

Frank F
billelder

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it all done. Some have just decided to just flat out not pay, leave town with no forwarding information or shut down the business after the VO was delivered. Yes...it's gotten worse from where I sit.
chezdan

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something similar to what building contractors do would work in this case? Could you propose half the agreed-upon price in advance and the other half at completion? At least you wouldn't walk away empty-handed when the clients cut and run.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we are contractors....? Problem being, we have set ourselves up for this type of treatment I believe. By offering quick turnaround, easy access for files via the web, and the advent of home based studios; we have not focused on the primary goal of business - getting paid for your work.

Guess I will have to focus on getting paid and put my thinking cap on to come up with an idea which will work for me and I promise - if it works for me I will share it....

Frank F
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Credit Cards.
Pay Pal.

These are instant and fairly painless.
Add the fee to the cost of the job.

If they want to pay in 30 days-- great!
After that-- interest.

If you establish this at the outset, they can't cry foul.
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Been there Reply with quote

Pay Pal is presented as the payment method of choice by me to the client upon getting the contract.

I will send a scratch version of the production so they know its done but they don't get the good copy until they pay.

If they have trouble with those terms then they have to make assurances in writing.

Of course it doesn't work every time with every client (oh that everything could be so seamless) but it works in a majority of the cases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verizon .... 60-90 days.
Kevin .... bald, hair in hands.
billelder

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, I think it's important to get paid. Don't get me wrong. But, my primary goal is to be customer oriented and to service their needs. If a client gives me a "need it now" e-mail then I deliver. The percentage of those who have been less than honest after five years I can count on three fingers. I think that's pretty good. Most folks want to do the right thing. Some have extenuating circumstances. This week I have been flooded the last few days with clients needing VO's because the commercial has to be on for Memorial Day weekend. Producers and tv stations turn around spots as fast as we used to do in radio.

Great thoughts all!
Dave_Onefourone

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ended a relationship with a client. Not only was he hitting 90 days overdue, but when my business manager (aka. my wife) tried emailing him for the 10th time and after a number of phone calls, his response was... "RELAX!" Then he proceeded to question my rate, which is funny considering it was what he offered.

I wrote him back telling him to remit payment with interest or I would inform HIS client they did not have permission on the intellectual property and any use would result in possible litigation.

MY client missed the deadline.... I followed through and called HIS client. Needless to say. I had a check within the next few days.

It sure sucks to lose a client, but after a while..... REALLY???? Are they worth it? I'm just not willing to work with the deadbeat employers. NOW if I have a relationship with a client, and they aren't trying to put me off, but are honest about their situation, I can understand.

I figure... don't be afraid to walk away from a client. If they don't have appreciation for your product, let em loose. It's one less grey hair.
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree with a fellow BC'r.

If all else fails hit them (or at least threaten) where it counts. With their client. Most excellent.

PayPal - IMO (I'm not humble) great, seamless service from both ends.

As well have "Payment due within 30 days" at the bottom of your invoice.

Most won't go for the 1/2 up front idea, but you can always try that or 1/3 up front, 1/3 before delivery, and 1/3 within 30 days - if their budget is tight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: