VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not having a good day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Not having a good day Reply with quote

Got tired of filtering out noise from the onboard PC sound. Picked up the M-Audio Delta 44, installed it. Also got the Behringer UB802 to use as a preamp since the Delta doesn't provide one. After two hours of Windows Hardware Wizard locking up my 900 mHz processor by trying to install the NT drivers for the Delta (I'm using Win2K but it turns out the XP drivers work), I'm finally able to record...but my input gain is low, and my recordings are dropping bits of audio, or "skipping" as if it pauses for milliseconds while recording. I'm now told by my local PC geeks that my CPU can't be upgraded even to, say, a 1.8 Ghz chip because the motherboard can't handle the voltage.

Oh, and I've got jobs due today. This is not good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
donrandall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, and I've got jobs due today. This is not good.

Geezers, is there anyway you can go around all the new stuff and use the old system long enough to get today's work handled?

It's just past noon, and I have done what little I needed to do for the day. Hmmmmm.....guess I'll just go run the vacuum cleaner. I hate vacuuming.....quick.....somebody call with a hot job that just has to be done right now!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

There are a few things that will help, but first - I suggest you get a new MB and upgrade to a 2.8 gHz as soon as possible... and they are not expensive.

Now, you need to optimize your PC, as much as possible, take everything you hve in the Startup are and turn it off.

Second, do you have an external drive? I can delve deeper into this area, but that is something I would need to know first.

Third, turn off any and all anti-virus software, and internal firewalls.

Fourth, how much drive space do you have left on your main drive, assuming you only have the main drive?

Re-boot and you should be good to go.

Frank F
dhouston67

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Don & Frank. I uninstalled the Delta, as it was the only way to restore the default Windows sound device. Back to my old setup for the time being...jobs done.

I had the firewall and AV off, and I've had all startup items removed for a while. I think the PC just isn't up to snuff, even though I've upped the RAM to 512 MB. No external drive, 10 GB of space on the main HD.

The Delta box is pure simplicity, but I'm not crazy about its "mixer" interface. I'm no luddite, but it's not terribly intuitive or user-friendly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can see several things which might preclude you from 'having a good day' with your PC.

But for less than $500.00 you could buy a new one and put the things on which you want, and have a second PC for the internet.

Good luck,

Toodles

Frank F
marko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Frank said, Dave.

Also, I learned the hard way not to EVER do a major system change/upgrade when I have jobs pending. I always wait until afterward when I can screw things up without fear.
dhouston67

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marko wrote:
I learned the hard way not to EVER do a major system change/upgrade when I have jobs pending.

So have I. Embarrassed (As it turned out, the client extended their deadline...)

A 2800 (or higher) processor and a GB of RAM would be preferable, and I'll be implementing that upgrade soon. I got the Delta so I could record at higher bitrates, but the rest of my current machine isn't cooperating. (Yo, Frank: think this could be another case of M-Audio products not getting along with PCs?)

I can't help thinking there are folks out there getting decent sound with less power --- and not spending gobs of time in post. Anyone?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhhh, that is what you get for listening to me...

I had an old 400 mHz PC when I first started my "home studio" and used a Gadget Labs card... and it sung...

The process you described sounds more like 'resource problems", and that is why the suggestion to clean the 'start-up' files. Another problem you described is the low amount of HD space left. IF you can get buy an external HD - do so, then, make sure the 'temp' files directories and ALL data from the program are recorded or played back from the external HD.

I have a nine page list of things to do to optimize a PC for audio/video - - somewhere. If I find it I will share it via a .pdf.

Upgrading from Win 2k, or any other derivitave would beneficial... XP (either variation) will take care of some of the minor inconviences.

One thing you forgot to mention (or I blanked out - yes I do that) or ask is: "What Recording Software you are using"?

Toodles,

Frank F
dhouston67

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank ---

Thanks for following up. Running Adobe Audition 1.5, will happily upgrade to 2.0 after XP is installed. The 10 GB of free space is on an 80 GB second physical drive (not a partition), which should be more than enough... or so I thought. There are no actual resource conflicts, and the Delta found an IRQ right away. An external drive has also been high on my list.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhouston67 wrote:
I can't help thinking there are folks out there getting decent sound with less power --- and not spending gobs of time in post. Anyone?

Dave, I'm running a self-built AMD Athlon 1.4 ghz system that is about five years old. It has 1 gig of Corsair RAM, an 80 gig Maxtor hard drive, an Echo Audio Mia/Midi PCI card, Sound Forge Audio Studio 8 and Windows 2000 Pro. I've yet to have a problem.

System Specs:
Shuttle AK31 mainboard
AMD Athlon 1.4 ghz processor
1 gig Corsair RAM
nVidia 64mb GeForce2 MX400 AGP video
80 gig Maxtor drive--partitioned
Echo Audio Mia/Midi PCI pro audio card
Sony CD/DVD+-R/RW
RealTek PCI network card
SoundBlaster PCI card (left it in just for fun)

I built this box in December 2001 as my Christmas present to myself Laugh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: