VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Character Demo…. Let It Rip!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Character Demo…. Let It Rip! Reply with quote

The deal is, this is a very, very good friend of mine. A friend who has been in radio since Methuselah got his first Arbitron Diary. I’m trying to offer him some help / direction in the VO business. He’s always doing characters, so I asked him to give me a character demo.

I liked what I heard and I think I hear something in there, worth pursuing / developing, but I’m not a character artist, so maybe I’m ignorantly wrong.

I know there are a lot of well established Character VO Artists on this board. Would those who know, offer some insight as to where he might go with this. Again, he’s a very, very good friend and I’m doing whatever I can to offer whatever I can.

http://soundcloud.com/rickriley-1/character-demo

And I appreciate your effort in helping me do that. Thanks!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he could get there. The thing that's needed most, to take him from being a guy who does some voices, to a guy who does voices for a living, is what some call "commitment to character". In most of the bits I don't hear him "being" the character. Either he needs to find that technique on his own or get some acting guidance.

Of course the single piece of music under all the voices adds to the amateur feel. It would eventually help to create separate vignettes.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

British comedy actor Beryl Reid said that when creating a character she started with the feet, yer woman was a genius.

Most actors are able to create living, breathing characters and if they have problems with the voice of the character they get a voice coach and more often that not the problem is solved.

Watch Jane Horrocks ..an actor .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPcfWQQKork
Darren Altman
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year I went on two character voice workshops. As well as learning the mechanics of the mouth, all the sounds one can produce and variations that can be attained, we went into details of the characters we invented. I learned that it's not just a case of 'putting on the voice' or 'doing the accent'. Give your character a back-story. Who is he? How old is he Where does he live? What job does he have? How does he stand? How tall is he? Is he happy? Sad? Indifferent?

When you dig deep and go into the minutiae of a voice, you start to properly create a character. A person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following people have all at some point said the same thing:

"It's all about the acting."

- Charlie Adler, Ginny McSwain, Pat Fraley.

I'm not going to write Bob Bergen's name there, because I can't accurately recall if he said it, but I think he did.
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixar posted some succinct and relevant advice today on Twitter.

"Even if it will never be seen (or heard*), build a world around your characters. What do they like/dislike? Where were they 5 minutes ago?"

*editor's note
Mike Sommer
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was you doing some screwy voices for that demo thingy.

Now work on bringing living breathing people to the microphone that have something to say.

Acoustics are counter-intuitive. If one thing is certain about acoustics, it is that if anything seems obvious it is probably wrong.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sommer wrote:
This was you doing some screwy voices for that demo thingy.

Mike, I'm surprised at you. I thought you had a better ear than that. In the words of Bob Dylan, 'It Ain't Me Babe!'.

Thank you all for your help. I think Bruce gave me the answer I was looking for. I'm aware of all it takes, i.e., acting, commitment, immersion, etc., but I'm also of the opinion, that certain voices 'have it' and certain voices don't. Maybe I'm wrong, but every character I do, seems to have my baseline in it. I just don't have the range. Then there are people who blow me away at thier versatility. I wouldn't be able to indentify them from one spot to the next.

Again, I could be wrong, but I think a lot of it is genetics. I heard that in a couple of cuts on that clip from my friend. My premise was, is it there enough to pursue it, and the part of the question I didn't ask, is it a lucrative avenue to take for someone who is 'advanced' in their career, or is it a market that's pretty well saturated.

My friend is at a turning point, as so many of my friends have been in the last few years, thanks to the consolidation of the media due to Clear Channel. I'm just trying to be a supporter and offer some guidance in a business that might offer him some opportunity.

He's not a newcomer by any means. Audio and music has been his life, but VO as a living has not been an avenue he's explored. After a nice career in radio, I started banging away at it a few years ago and am finding success. As a friend, I'd like to help him do the same. I'm gathering information from you, in order to do that.

Anything else you can offer regarding these comments are appreciated.

Thanks!
Oddio
Contributor II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's comments are so right on I truly have nothing to add, I will say your friend has a great start though! He definitely has a nice voice, but the same piece of music all the way through is annoying....definitely could use some individual pieces.
Philip, THANK you for turning me on to Jane Horrocks. WHAT A TALENT!
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to Philip I have to say BUBBLES!!!! Man, I never followed her after but I'm so glad to be turned on again.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: