VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antec Sonata and Sonata II

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Antec Sonata and Sonata II Reply with quote

It's time to do a couple of equipment upgrades. I have a tower case right now (computer) that is very noisy. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with an Antec Sonata or Sonata II. I want something quieter.
Any help is appreciated. I've also looked at the Nexus Breeze but I'm liking what I can buy an Antec for.
Gp
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Antec Sonata and Sonata II Reply with quote

Gp wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with an Antec Sonata or Sonata II.

Gp,

I have a Sonata and a Sonata II in my home office, one for my workstation and one for my office computer, networked together. They are very quiet. Even when I have both of them running.

However, there are are a couple of other important factors involved in keeping your computer quiet. After the tower/power supply, the most important are:

1. The CPU fan.
2. Other fans on the motherboard (Northbridge chip).
3. Other case fans.

Research the CPU fan carefully. There are plenty of options, but read the reviews at places like NewEgg.com or Amazon.com. (If you're re-using your current motherboard and you don't replace your current CPU fan, you're not going to be entirely happy with the results.)

If possible, get a motherboard with a heat sink rather than a fan for the Northbridge chip. (If you're moving your existing motherboard to the new case, you're stuck with what you have, most likely.)

Most people don't realize that a significant amount of the system's noise comes from the CPU and Northbridge fans.

Make sure any other fans in the case are large (120 MM or larger) and slow moving or speed selectable.

On the other hand, you could get one of those new Mac Powerbooks. I hear they're silent as can be.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Gp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob.
That's good to hear. I ordered the Sonata II yesterday. I am using my old motherboard...I have one of those volcano fans on it. On low it's supposed to be 24db. If it still seems noisy I may opt for one of the new flat ones. The computer will also be inside a box that I'm adding accoustic insulation too. would be great though if it were quiet enough to run without doing that.
Thanks for letting me know.!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gp wrote:

Thanks for letting me know.!

Gp,

You're welcome and I'll be intersted to read how it all comes out.
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GP,

Be careful with your "box" - you will need ventilation for the PC. Without it, things get mighty hot for the processor.

Ventilation can be accomplished a couple of ways - the easiest and cheapest is get some "dryer vent hose" and put some sound deadening insulatuion around it. Have two peices long enough to go into another room or area, and a small fan for air to move IN to the PC the other does not need a fan, but if you wish, get one.

So this means two holes in your box...

Have fun... Oh, put the incoming air on the bottom, the outgoing air on the top...

FrankF
Gp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Sonata II arrived finally. Last weekend I finally got the opportunity to try to switch out the old case for the new one. I was excited to NOT hear all the fans etc.
I spent a good 3 hours pulling things apart and putting things together again....hit the power switch....and...N O T H I N G happened.
To make a long story short, it turns out the power supply in the new case was bad.....it managed to somehow fry the motherboard and cpu. Well I did want to upgrade to something a little better.....just not last week. So I found a good deal on ebay and ordered that.
In the meantime, I have to ship back the new case and wait for them to send a new one. The hazards of online shopping sometimes. I did get to hear the cpu fan run and Bob you were right....it's still noisy. So I've now purchased a Nexus AOP-6400 CPU fan that puts out only 19db. Plus it will be inside an accoustic box.....with plenty of ventialtion so I think it will be almost inaudible.
Now I'm looking for a video input card. I'm going to be doing some work for Christmas. I'm taking all our old 8mm films that we made as a family and putting them on to DVD for my brother and sister. I'm thinking I'll pic up the ATI Allinwonder. Anyone else have any ideas about this? I'll also need an input device of somekind....(to allow the 8mm film to be transported to the computer) there are a couple on ebay from telecine.....but I'd love to hear any suggestions.
Thanks!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gp wrote:
Now I'm looking for a video input card. I'm going to be doing some work for Christmas. I'm taking all our old 8mm films that we made as a family and putting them on to DVD for my brother and sister. I'm thinking I'll pic up the ATI Allinwonder.

Gp,

Just be careful which All In Wonder you buy, because as with the CPU fan, if your video card has a fan, that can be a source of unwanted noise. That said, I like ATI video cards and use them all the time and there are several good cards that use a heat sink rather than a fan to cool the card.
+1-724-613-2749
Gp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Bob. I am aware of the fans on some of these cards. having used them before and knowing what I'm wanting to use mine for do you have a recommendation or a preference of which card to buy?
Thanks again
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gp wrote:
...do you have a recommendation or a preference of which card to buy?

Gp,

The ATI All In Wonder is a good choice for what you want to do, just be sure the specific model you buy has a heat sink, not a fan.
+1-724-613-2749
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: