VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gear

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooter2

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: gear Reply with quote

Anyone here have experiences..good or bad..with the bluemics?
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, which models are you looking at?
scooter2

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: gear Reply with quote

The Baby Bottle by bluemic
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Baby Bottle is a really nice mic but you should also look at the Blue Bird too, its frequency response is a little different and one will sound better than the other with your voice. If memory serves me right, the Blue Bird had a bump around 100hz, went back to zero db until 5k-6k where it jumped 6-7 db. The Baby Bottle was completely different with broad EQ curves.

I guess it really comes down to EQ with these mics. EQ always sounds better when you're subtracting because the harmonic changes are not causing additional unknowns (which occurs when you add), so you really should try out both and see were the mic's natural EQ sits with your voice. If you feel you need the broad boost in the lower range you should pay attention to the Baby Bottle as it may be your best buy in this case, it would sacrifice the high end sparkle and the lowend bump found in the Blue Bird which may sound better on your voice.

I owned a Baby Bottle shortly after they came out and the only issue I had with the Baby Bottle was the cost of the accessory wind screen at $150. If you buy either one, download the session templates for your preamp or EQ, you'll need them.

Is there any specific reason you're looking at the Baby Bottle? Have you looked at any other manufacturers?
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another thing that many people look over a good mic means absolutely nothing if you're using a preamp that does not take advantage of what it has to offer. Your voice recorded using a Neumann M149 through a Art Tube pre ($49 floor model) may sound horrid compared to a your voice recorded using your current mic and a Neve 1272 preamp.

If you have a $5000 budget, it'd be better to spend $4000 on the best preamp you can find and $1000 on the mic. You'll get sound you thought wasn't possible with your mic.

I don't want to change your mind, but if you've got a good mic, that's pretty much the next step.

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: