VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Domain Names / sites

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Domain Names / sites Reply with quote

Frank (below) brings up a good point. I'm not sure if the question is with domain names in particular, or name registration in general, but I agree either way, with regard to the internet.

Personally, I've found register.com to be good for domain name registration (as I've registered 4 names, including "densfriends.com" - coming to a cool site near you...Next Friday / This Friday / Tomorrow / Tonight / ya missed it / :wink:

You also have to have an ISP to 'subscribe' to.

C'mon folks, give us your secrets.

Q: - Where should I register my website name?

Q: - How much will it cost?

Q: - There's a "do it yourself" website format. Should I?

Q: - I want demo(s) up there. How much space do I need?

Q: - What's an ISP and why do I need it?

Q: - Should I get an FTP site? (What's that and why do I need it?)

Q: - What other costs can I expect?

Q: - Will that be all I need for success?
(Hint: - nnnoooo...)

Q: - Is it possible to host my own BB and run Deirdre out of town?

Sharyn has a nice site. NOT that that means anything, as her demo / performance, and most importantly marketing herself (site) etc. has to live up. But ...nice site!

(turn on your speakers).

http://www.sharyncassidy.com/flash/main.html
billelder

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

The site you've linked uses Flash animation. So, if you like that you'll need to specify when you hire someone to do your page.

Now, let's get to answering your 100 or so questions. It looks like you may have Google(d) "web design". Something I tell folks that want a web page but don't want to spend big bucks is to hire a kid from a local school or church. They'd love the experience and the cost would be substantially less.

>>Q: - Where should I register my website name?
Register.com is one. There are many. I've used MyDomain.com.

>>Q: - How much will it cost?
As much or as little as you want to spend.

>>Q: - There's a "do it yourself" website format. Should I?
I've found these to be limited, but effective for beginners. Watch out that you don't agree to have them plaster a banner on your page for the priveledge. Nothing says web rookie better than that if it's going to be your business site.

>>Q: - I want demo(s) up there. How much space do I need?
You can get plenty of space these days. My site has 1 GB of web space and 50 GB of bandwidth a month. Bandwidth is how many bytes you can send over their lines from their servers a month. This means my clients can download (or upload) that much information (mostly mp3 files) every month.

>>Q: - What's an ISP and why do I need it?
An ISP is Internet Service Provider. That's AOL or Earthlink, Cox High Speed...any copmapny you use to connect you to the web. Most of these companies offer limited web soace (about 10 MB) per account or e-mail address. You'll always need an ISP to connect to the web. Many companies (like MyDomain) will allow you to stealth point a domain to a web address.

Let's say you buy the domain www.dennis.com Now, let's say you've got an account with Earthlink. Your e-mail address is dennis@earthlink.net. Your free web page address would be http://home.earthlink.net/~dennis
I wouldn't use "register.com" because you can't forward your domain for free. You'd get a banner on your page unless you paid for it. I can speak from experience with MyDomain. (there are many others...so you can research for that) You can stealth forward for free...including your e-mail. Stealth forwarding means that when you type in your domain (www.dennis.com) you'll actually be forwarded to another web address...like http://home.earthlink.net/~dennis but what you'd see is www.dennis.com.

>>Q: - Should I get an FTP site? (What's that and why do I need it?)
Yes. In fact, don't try to upload using just a browser. FTP is File Transfer Protocol. It's a program designed to move files from your computer to the computer that houses your web page. Most web companies offer free programs to do this as part of the package. Earthlink likes WS_FTP LE. If you are with Earthlink, then here's the info you'll have to enter to log on:
Host Name/Address - ftp-www.earthlink.net
User ID - dennis@earthlink.net
Then you'd enter your password.

Now, the other option is to go with a web host that offers everything except internet access. Here's how that works. You'd still connect to the internet using your Earthlink account. But, a web host offers the ability to buy your domain, large amounts of storage and bandwidth and sometimes free software to design your site. I use Milescape. You have to be a bit internet and web saavy, but if I were to leave them (moving a web site is a hastle! <g>) the next best one I've found is 1and1.com. Easy to set up, loads of free software and very reliable. 1and1 is a UK company getting started in the USA. For two years they offered free web sites to everyone just to prove themselves. So, I got mine and I have to say it was great. I'm sure others will chime in with their companies. There anre many out there. You just have to match your needs with your price range.

(Bill's starting to glaze over now)

>>Q: - What other costs can I expect?
Some hosts include a free domain with their package, but some don't. So, you'll have to pay to renew domain names and most sites will offer a better deal if you pay by the year and not month to month.

>>Q: - Will that be all I need for success?
Yes...and it helps to wear a snappy outfit when designing a site.

>>Q: - Is it possible to host my own BB and run Deirdre out of town?
Yes..and no. Your web host will probabaly offer the same PHP program that Deirdre uses as a message board. I wouldn't count on running her out of town. Anyone that can ban her entire family from her home studio and has been through a few husbands, I wouldn't think of crossing!
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Bill!

Actually, I knew most of that but just decided to ask as a newbie would, because it's valuable info - and each person's input is equally valuable. Much like yours. Thanks for sharing stuff you didn't even know you shared! Many tricks and pratfalls to watch out for.

But you have to admit Sharyn's site is nice! And no, I wouldn't compete with DB on any level. Just gotta bug her now and then to keep her on her toes.

-den.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoDaddy.com.

Least expensive domain registration EVAR.
Decent hosting. 500MB of space --cheap.

EdataRack.net gives you a better deal for 1000MB(1gig) server space.

I'm on the run today, will answer other site questions later--like why I don't use Flash and probably won't in the forseeable future.
DaveHines

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Domain Names / sites Reply with quote

Here's my stab at the whole thing...take it with a grain of salt...or sand...whichever is smaller.

Q: - Where should I register my website name?
I did mine through GoDaddy.com they've been great. WebsiteSource.com is also good. I would advise against Network Solutions because they like to call you at least 3 or 4 times a week and "upsell" you.

Q: - How much will it cost?
Domain registration itself is anywhere from $6 - $9 per year. Hosting is a seperate cost though.

Q: - There's a "do it yourself" website format. Should I?
You may want to do it yourself...but I wouldn't use a free template. You can find a good template for about 30 bucks...it's worth it. Get Dreamweaver (through legal means, of course) and learn how to use it. It might be best to have someone else do the site initally and for major changes, but if you know how to use Dreamweaver, (or another editor) you can save yourself a lot of money by making minor changes yourself. Not to mention...you can make them whenever you want without waiting on someone else to do them for you.

Q: - I want demo(s) up there. How much space do I need?
It really depends on how big they are...and how much other stuff you have on your site. I host through WebsiteSource.com and I've never had any space issues.

Q: - What's an ISP and why do I need it?
Bill already said what I was going to say.

Q: - Should I get an FTP site? (What's that and why do I need it?)
Yes. Yes. Yes. Not only does it make you page editing/moving a breeze...you can set it up for your clients to use to get their projects from you. I always use my FTP site (or the client's) for large/multiple files. It's not at all practical to email large files. You can set up different file privelages for different users. I.E. Client A's password allows him to see & download only his files. Your password gives you full access to all files on the FTP site. Clear as mud?

Q: - What other costs can I expect?
I would advise an "all in one" service like www.WebsiteSource.com and a designer that knows what they're doing. They can give you a good idea of what everything will cost. There aren't a lot of "hidden costs" though. It's just a website...not a Chevy.

Q: - Will that be all I need for success?
It really depends on what you want your website to do for you. If you just want to have a site to tell your clients/potential clients to go to...you should be set. However, that's not using your site's full potential. You need to make sure that your designer is "search engine savy" (MANY are not). In a perfect world, people will stumble upon your site when randomly searching for voice talent, and hire you. There are a LOT of factors that go into making this happen...but a good site that has been designed by someone that knows search engine optimization is key. If you mention search engine optimization to a potential designer and they downplay it, or worse, don't know what you're talking about...get someone else to do your site.

Q: - Is it possible to host my own BB and run Deirdre out of town?
I wouldn't mess with her either.
billelder

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find out anything you want to know about this if you Google about web hosts or web sites. Be sure to check the newsgroups too. That's how I found my present host. Doing a little research can yield opinion outside of those here. Also, if the web host you are considering has a message board, visit and see what problems folks are having. It'll give you a hint as to how good the service is and how they do business.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Flash:

I want my voice demos to be easily accessible to the guy who may have a super-duper blazing fast CPU and a T1 connection at the office, but uses an old laptop with Windows 98 on it during his weekends on The Cape.

I have come to realize, after being in the company of such übergeeks as Andy Ihnatko (writer for Mac World and the Chicago Sun Times http://www.cwob.com/yellowtext/) and George Sanger (Videogame music composer http://www.fatman.com/) that Flash is a super-cool web technology that not everyone has. (I don't know the exact percentage of users who have DON'T have Flash installed on their home or business computers. It's more than you may think, thought)
Neither of these d00ds uses Flash on his website, and they both work elbow-deep in computer technology.

Flash is fine for stuff that's only ever going to be accessed by people who are totally up-to-date all the time.
Splash pages are irritating.
Most web animation is irritating.
Embeded sound is irritating.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

typos are irritating

Last edited by Deirdre on Sat May 21, 2005 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
donrandall

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a contact link for a terrific web designer that really knows what to do, and how it should be done.

www.tundramarketing.com
billelder

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre,

Absolutely! I have created a Flash animated web site for my 15 year old godson (because most "yoot" want that kind of thing and will download any plugin until the family computer no longer works) but don't use it on my site. The nice thing about a web site in 2005 is that we no longer have to load VO samples in Real Media and MP3. Woot!

And, I still use 98SE! So if it works here, it'll work on XP and OSX. I remember back as late as 2001 there being browser compatability problems!
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:
The nice thing about a web site in 2005 is that we no longer have to load VO samples in Real Media and MP3.

Bill:

Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying RealMedia is no longer needed on a modern day v-o website? That would be nice...

Jim
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you're up-to-date, or maybe especially if you're up-to-date, Flash is irritating. Even with a fast computer, it takes time to load the website, it takes time to find the off button to mute the annoying music, it takes time for the text to zoom in every time you go to a new page, and having little electronic sounds that ping at you every time you mouse over the navigation bar is tiresome. Who has time for all that? I don't think Flash is for the consumer -- it's webmaster hubris.
billelder

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I just have MP3 files on my site. The reason is that Real Player will play any MP3 file. You shouldn't have any trouble with folks hearing VO samples using Real. Nowdays, it even wants to be your primary MP3 player.

They had to accept that MP3 was the more popular compression, but many sites still stream "ra" or "rm" like the BBC.

Mary,

Love this!
Quote:
webmaster hubris
Laugh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: