VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very annoying frustrating webpage question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Very annoying frustrating webpage question Reply with quote

This morning I went to my webpage and couldn't connect to it.....I get an error message that says "your browser cannot find the document corresponding to the URL You typed in." it has been like that all day. I submitted a trouble report this morning but they haven't gotten to it yet. I am now home from work and still can't connect to it...same error message. So i tried connecting to it via ftp so I could explore the folders...see what was wrong. It's all someone elses files and folders. An entirely different website. Greater Nebraska Swim Team website. It doesn't contain any of my files at all.....What could possibly have happened? How could a different website replace mine inside my domain name? Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I wonder what happened to my stuff? Does that website now have all of my files and pages? I just tried to go to their URL. and I get the same error message that mine gets. They probably have my stuff and I have theirs. I don't see how this can be an accident...How do you transfer websites like that unless it's deliberate.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us have shared servers and they have pointer files and all kinds of other crap that tell them where to point when a request is made. Sometimes those servers crash, stuff gets corrupted, or someone messed up while doing maintenance. They'll fix it - but if it's been all day and you have gotten no response AND you were not made aware of problems with their servers via a service notice email, then you might want to start looking for a different host.

-Anthony
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the error message they display has links to other voice talent, so not only are they denying potential clients access to your website, they are also sending them on to the competition. Time to change hosting methinks!

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Very annoying frustrating webpage question Reply with quote

TGG wrote:
What could possibly have happened? How could a different website replace mine inside my domain name?

TGG,

Most likely your files are not gone. They're on the server, but (as Anthony pointed out) your provider's pointers are misdirected or otherwise corrupted. And given the fact (also pointed out above here) that they are directing people to other voiceover sites while they still haven't fixed yours isn't just amazing, it's really bad form.

Hopefully, you prepare your site on your local computer and upload it, so you should have a current copy of your files on your computer, too. Getting established with a new provider should be a matter of a couple of days, tops, while the DNS servers update with your new site location.

There are several folks here who use GoDaddy.com. Others use 1 and 1.com. I am very happy with Powweb.com. There are plenty of good, reasonably priced hosting solutions available.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone...it is very frustrating. I AM currently using 1 and 1 for my hosting and have been very happy with them. I haven't experienced any down time at all in the 4 months I've been using them. But boy, when something does happen...it really happens I guess. I have all my files and pages on my hard drive, but I'm not uploading them into my webspace while the other sites files are all there. At least I know now that this can happen and isn't deliberate. Thanks for the responses. I'm going to wait until they fix it and then maybe give them one more chance since I've been really happy until now. We'll see.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGG wrote:
I have all my files and pages on my hard drive, but I'm not uploading them into my webspace while the other sites files are all there.
[snip]
I'm going to wait until they fix it and then maybe give them one more chance since I've been really happy until now. We'll see.

TGG,

When 1 and 1 fixes things, you may find that all your files are still there on the web server. Most likely, it's just the pointer to the specific space on the server that's messed up. I don't think anyone actually replaced your files.

By the way, the Greater Nebraska Swim Team, whose files are now there, are just a hosed as you are. Indeed it's likely a whole bunch of folks are in the same boat.

Speaking of which, if there is some kind of support form, you might want to poke your head in and see if there are a bunch of angry posts from others in a similar boat.
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
And the error message they display has links to other voice talent, so not only are they denying potential clients access to your website, they are also sending them on to the competition. Time to change hosting methinks!

Wow-- What a stinkin' mess.

The "sponsored links" to competitors is adding insult to injury!
"Hey Cripple-- nice tie."
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to know that it could just be a pointer problem...see....I thought it could have been DB....Since I haven't gotten around yet to removing my photo (which includes a mic) and the embedded voice! I figured it was DB telling me to get in gear or get back in the garage. hahahahaha Just kidding "D" I'm just being funny. (or trying) Wink

Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH!!!!!! As of 8:18pm Mountain time. (right now), my web page is finally back, in all of it's imperfection! I'm so happy! WOO HOO

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All is right with the world!

Um... this part of it, at any rate.

yay!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGG wrote:
As of 8:18pm Mountain time. (right now), my web page is finally back...

Tom,

Great news. I'm so glad to know you're back.
+1-724-613-2749
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: