VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Talent Agents vs the Internet? Predict the future
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voice of vicki wrote:
I like the service of someone recommending me and a few others, narrowing the choice for the client. That is a service worth preserving.

Really Good Clients think the same--the Big Guns with little time to waste will rely on agents to send them the right handful of possibles.
Brian in Charlotte
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Good question Reply with quote

voice of vicki wrote:

Here's the question: What can agents do to improve their position in the current VO foodchain? Or not lose their position completely?

I think they do what we should do...market themselves, get old relationships up-to-date, get on the phones with clients they have booked for in the past, announce new talent...show themselves on the cutting edge...alert talent seekers of updated talent demos available etc. There's much to be said about relationship.

An agent must show the "value added elements" they bring to the table... the contrasted benefits of using them as opposed to the truck load of auditions they would receive and have to personally wade through by using an online service. However, I don't think an agent is in danger of loosing network/film type projects.

All the particular things you listed with regard to getting work through your agent is SUPER...that's why I wish things were as before because there is GREAT value to the talent as well as the talent seeker...however with the changing world we are in, it seems we must include other avenues as well, whether we like all the facets about it or not.

Continued success to you!
Twitter.com/TheVoiceofBrian
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voice of vicki wrote:
Here's the question: What can agents do to improve their position in the current VO foodchain? Or not lose their position completely?

I'll try to offer something different as many of the answers shared already have covered the question as I would have....

1. You have to manage your agent(s)
They are your employee, though I wouldn't present it in such a way as it may unnecessarily offend. I only mean that you need to set expectations for them and objectives for them because you ARE their manager. They brought you on because they thought you had talent (in essence, they hired you...great). But as soon as they say "yes", the tables turn...but in a positive way for both parties.

Start your process (and build upon it) by asking a few questions:
1. How do they market their own business? (Internet, direct mail, associations)
2. What does their network of contacts look like (local, regional, national)
3. What are their specific plans for marketing you? (see point 1)

2. Agents are but one channel in your marketing plan
A darn important channel but just one...as we've recently learned, even Mr. LaFontaine has his own web site and I think his agent spends most of his day handling DL's new bookings. But DL still markets himself.

Set the parameters of your agent's geographic or target areas and you cover everything else. Work in conjunction wherever possible.

The truth is, you're lucky to have an agent that will have a meeting with you to discuss and act on improving your situation...many won't and many more won't take on new clients. You're smart to ask the questions you're asking and even if you achieve half of the things suggested in these posts, you'll do fine. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
voice of vicki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just joined VO-BB and I appreciate all your thoughtful replies on this subject. I will be better prepared for my agent meeting because of you.

I wanted to mention that I switched agents about a year ago, because the old one decided to become an exclusive VO agent. You would think this was a great idea, but here's what happened. She gathered in about 40 women and 50 men for her Web site, and then linked with voicebank.net. There were too few clients to keep us all auditioning regularly (maybe because she was just launching the business) and too many talents competing for the same jobs. This is my opinion, she is still in business and I wish her well.

It seems to me that the best thing a VO agent OR a VO Website could do is to limit the talent pool and build the client base. There is probably a golden ratio here, but I'm not an MBA.
The site/agent could say, "Here's our best comedy gal/guy, here's our educational narrator and here's our hard sell narrator, etc." They could keep a reserve pool of talent for additional choices. Of course these decisions would be subjective, because that's what casting is.

So, if anyone knows of such a business or is building one, please let me know!
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, here's my experience... Reply with quote

Brian in Charlotte wrote:

I have been ripped off twice however...that's the down side...there are some shady folks out there. Particularly...NEVER work for ***name removed ***, these entities are owned by the same person, **name removed**, he still owes me (and another talent as I am told) $500...I have filed a complaint with the Attorney General of MO as as result.

I have been stiffed only a handful of times in my 30 year career and I am currently trying to get paid by this very same person for a small voice mail project. No low ball - my usual rate. If you need another person to join in this suit, let me know. I just sent in a complaint to the BBB in St. Louis. I have already spent more time in phone calls and research than I would have made on this one-page job.

Any additional contact information would be great.

I have so many clients on a monthly basis that I have recently ended up just doing the job and sending out invoices once a month. And with the quick 5 mninute projects, it is beyond my comprehension that someone wouldn't pay it. Thanks for the reminder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: