VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dial in phone recording

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KathyB
Contributor III

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: dial in phone recording Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a client who has just a regular phone and wants a professional recording with a music background. I am wondering if it will work if I just dial in and then play the recording into the machine. Any experience and advice would be appreciated so-o much!

Kathy
Zak Miller
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathy, that is a great idea. I have done that in the past. The only thing you need to look out for is the level of the music. Since phone lines are mono, the music will swallow the voice. If you have a way to listen to the mix over the phone you can adjust levels that way. If not, keep the music just barely audible in your mix and you should be fine.

When I have done this, I produce the message, get the mix right, and call the number. Hold the phone up to the monitor about 4 to 5 inces away at a good listening level and bingo you are done!

Good luck!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course if you have a phone patch you may be able to "upload" the finished audio directly into the phone line for the cleanest signal. You also may want to consider EQing some of the bass out of the music. Standard phone lines don't transmit any of the lower frequency sounds and removing them from your original can make it sound even a bit cleaner on their recording device.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
KathyB
Contributor III

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

I do have a phone patch! It's a JK Audio "inline telephone audio interface." I have only used it to record incoming calls. Can I use this for sending out my recording? Again....I appreciate any advice you can give. You know, like how to do it!!

Zak, Thanks for letting me know that this can be done. I have set the music to be low...very low, so that should help. I'm just trying to get the best possible quality sound.

Thanks to you both!!

Kathy
KathyB
Contributor III

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update! I figured out how to use the phone patch for this purpose. And I have decided to use a wav form instead of an mp3. Also, for others who are dealing with this in the future, I have a phone setting that George Whittham helped me with so that the recording is eq-ed for phones.

Thanks to you all!!

Kathy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: