VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For those interested in going Mac

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: For those interested in going Mac Reply with quote

I just ordered and received the new 2.16 GHZ Intel core duo processor 17" MacBook Pro. It's loaded with 2 GB of ram and a 120 gig hard drive. I haven't had much time to play with it yet. Just got it out of the box last night, and thanks to DB (thank you D) I was able to get better oriented, being that I have always been a PC user. But for those of you thinking about going Mac, That machine is so quiet, I believe I can put my mic right next to it and not have a noise problem. I'm just guessing, since I haven't hooked it up to see yet, but by ear, there is virtually no noise at all. It's fast and very resposive. Bootcamp, although beta, is working on my machine flawlessly, allowing me to either boot into Mac or Windows. I have to admit, as far as knowing how to do everything that was second nature to me on windows, has been kind of frustrating on the Mac. But it's pretty intuitive and just a couple hours of messing around last night had me feeling somewhat comfortable. I am really digging it so far. That's my preliminary assessment. After I get all my equipment hooked up I'll let you all know how it works as far as VO goes. I'm sure it will be awesome since alot of you already use macs. Anyway, if you are thinking about going mac and want to go the notebook route, so far I would highly recommend the new 17" (don't know about the 15") MacBook Pro.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

Last edited by tackerman on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a longtime PC user (and PC support tech, in fact), but I also have a good deal of Mac experience. I even had a temp job at an Apple facility a few years back, and even the G3 i used was a quick and quiet machine. When the funds allow, I'd love to have a Mac-based setup for recording.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update. Last night (about 4 hours) was spent on the internet downloading and installing all the updates for Mac and Windows. Now that everything is current, I installed Audition 2 on the windows side, and hooked up all my equipment, making sure the drivers for the equipment were the latest. Did a few test recordings and voila! perfect! So I decided to test my theory about how close to the mac I could put my mic. I had the sensitivity set pretty high, optimal actually. Just high enough to not go into the red. I was right....you cannot hear the computer at about 2 to 3 feet ( not at all at 3 feet) and I'm not certain at 2 feet. I switched back and forth between the 2 samples...one at about 2 feet and one at about 3 feet and in my mind I was trying to discern the difference. at 2 feet, Ikept thinking...wait....is that something? but I couldn't really tell a difference. hahahahahaha Anyway, I said I would update you all....I did. If anything significant develops, I'll let you know. This is just so whoever is interesested can make an educated decision before purchase.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Gp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was weaned on a mac....but have used PC for about the last 6 or 7 years. Last mac system was 8.XX that I was using. I was wondering if this bootcamp software was something just for the new laptop or can it be used on the new G5 too? It would be way nice to move back to the world of mac.
dscott
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: PowerBookG4 Reply with quote

I'd love to get the new 17"!!
I've been using my 1GHz G4 1GB RAM 60GB 4200 HD 17" for almost 2 years.
I use it for VO & Music Production as well as Final Cut Pro for Video.
The new dual core intels must scream through rendering!! The 800 Firewire is great for external drives!!
I've recently been doing some location VO recording and it is great to take a mic/pre/stand and the mac, do the session, edit/eq/rip upload to ftp, pack up.
This baby has paid for itself at leat twice by now! Just a few more gigs and I hope to get the new one!
Cheers!
Dave
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got a PC lappy for use here in Oz - and it's super quiet too.
(But this after buying a super noisy tower PC with a dicky motherboard which i am taking the guy to court over - heck it's the outback and consumer protection is tricky here)
1GB RAM, erm.... compaq dual centrino intel 1.6Ghz....erm, fast, did i say quiet?When the fan does kick in, it's like fairy wings..... but i don't have a Mac to compare it to...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: