VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hello/de-lurk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chezdan

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: hello/de-lurk Reply with quote

Hello, Everyone!

After watching from the wings for a while now, I thought it was time to say "Hi." I live in Northampton, Massachusetts and am in the process of "getting my act together". Voice acting is something that I've wanted to do for years, but (as John Lennon said) "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." My impending mid-life crisis is causing me to look for work that appeals to my creative side instead of slogging through life as a corporate drone.

I've been reading, reading, reading, researching, rehearsing, and reading some more about voice acting and feel like I'm getting close to making my first professional demo. I still need to take a few classes and have some evaluations. But I'm getting closer and more excited every day.

I am an amateur musician in a household full of musicians (my wife teaches, and my son plays in several bands). We have a small project studio in our basement that I'm learning how to adapt for the rigors of v-o work versus the rigors of teenage punk music!

I've loved reading all of your posts and checking out your websites - they are all so informative and entertaining.

I have a question that I hope you might consider discussing...

How many of you live in a major market and how many live elsewhere? With the advent of PC's, mp3's, ISDN, etc., does it really matter where a voice artist lives? Advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks!

Dan Williams,

Northampton, Mass
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big welcome to you, neighbor!

Dan literally lives on my street and has been a huge help to me with VO equipment choices and fine-tuning. The first time I called his house and got voice mail I thought, hmmm, this guy would make a good VO. Turns out it's something he had always wanted to do and I'm so glad he is finally taking the plunge. I would not have thought it possible that someone with no formal VO coaching could come as far as he has in such a short time.

Glad to see you officially on the board, Dan.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcom aboard!

To answer your question, I believe your location is a factor in how you approach the business. I live in the S.F. Bay Area and, regularly, and in L.A. -- mostly for pleaure, but sometimes business. Despite a quick flight from San Jose to LAX taking about 45 minutes, I still find location requirements that, I'm sure, cause me not to get considered or cast.

As an example, I once submitted an audition and was told by the producer/engineer that he only wanted talent in the L.A. area, even though I'd explained that being in L.A. was NO problem for me. The project involved "on-camera" work. I was politely and tactfully informed that being in L.A. was a requirement and that he could not use me. Fortunately, his clients loved my voice and wanted me. So, I got another call and the rest is history.

I'm a newbie, relatively speaking. You and I already know Robin Williams and Clint Eastwood do not have those problems.

As for the virtual world enabled by technology, it's good. Today, I'm in Los Angeles. I already submitted two auditions using portable rig connected to a standard PC (actually an iMac -- but they're all nothing more than a "personal computer", to me) to a production facility located in Virginia.

Enjoy the ride. It's a blast.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
billelder

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! To answer your question...I live nowhere. Laugh But, 98% of my business is out of town so it really doesn't matter. And, if I ever move it will probably be to some place even more "out of the way." The Carolinas or Virginia are looking mightly attractive.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

Like Bill, I live "nowhere". I am out in the sticks in a little tourist town that has one good season - winter. That is, unless you like to live here. Then the other parts of the year are great.

Using technology has given me the freedom to live and work as I wish. So far today I have sent projects to three countries and 4 States. (pause)

I just got off the phone and have another project for the military. So, "being there" is not necessary. Although I must admit, I have also had a call today which wanted my presense in L.A. - I respectfully declined.

Depending upon your contacts, clients, and work load - a VO artist can be just about anywhere. Getting known enough to work this way may take a bit of work, but it is worth the trouble.

In April I was in Mazatlan, Mexico and Banff, B.C., Canada for a few days and did enough work in my hotel rooms to pay for the trips. I will be in Alaska in June or July for a fishing trip and have been told that I probably won't be doing any fishing - one of my clients needs work done during that period.... I told him, "the fishing comes first".

Tell MCM, next time you see her, "HI!".

Glad your here, and welcome to the foray.

Frank F.
Andy

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new guy always brings the beer. Welcome.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a nifty little town, but drive into a major market to work there.

I'm also all over the place via MP3, FTP and ISDN.

It pays to be a geek.

I'm glad you finally checked in.
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CHezdan! Welcome!

Yes, you're just a click away when you think about it. You will run into those that do not want to work with folks "outside" their city or town - (lucky we're in audio!), but that's the same logic as my 70 yr. old father 'yelling' through the phone so I can hear him, because I live 1 hour away! I think those that have existed on their good ol' boys network are scaredy-cat of us techno-geeks coming into their territory, that's all.

It's a big, bright future for VO with this dang fangelled new technology!
Dennis O'Neill

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - Please tell Mary that I got the groceries, ...and she better have dinner ready. She'll understand, 'cause that's the kind of person she is.
chezdan

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the greetings!

Dennis: I made many trips to Seattle, but always seemed to miss Vancouver. I am still owed a fishing trip by friends in Langley. One day, when I'm rich, I'll take some time and visit your beautiful city. Toronto and Montreal are high on my list, so I bet the folks in Vancouver must be just as nice.

Andy: what'chu drinkin? I'm buyin.

Deirdre: New England's beautiful isn't it? I'm a Hoosier by birth, but love New England.

Bill: it sounds like you, Laura and I should be hanging around OBX sometime soon. I would love to retire to the N.Carolina if it weren't for the damn hurricanes.

Frank: Mazatlan, Banff, Alaska? I wish I could travel like that!

Charlie: I'm always amazed at how big California is. I just seem to take it for granted that I can drive to any one of the six New England states in just about an hour. That would only get you to the outskirts of LA from downtown.

[opens window, yells] HI, MARY!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: