VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-voice related technical issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Non-voice related technical issue Reply with quote

I am in dire need of some help. My wife Is about to kill anyone in sight unless I can get her internet working again!....hahahaha We have a wireless network setup in the house and she has a laptop that she uses wireless. Last night, she installed the new RealPlayer and as soon as installation was done, her connection to the wireless network was severed. She has a built in wireless adaptor and an external wireless adaptor plugged into the slot.
the two icons in the system tray that represent the wireless adaptors, have red Xs through them and the computer cannot connect to our network. It says they are firewalled. However, we uninstalled her firewall after messing around with it trying to figure out how it was being blocked all of a sudden. We uninstalled it and still nothing. We disabled the Windows firewall and still nothing.....still says the adaptors are firewalled. We uninstalled the offending program (RealPlayer, that caused this issue), and still no connection. We ran system restore, and set the system back to a restore point from the previous day when it was working properly, but still nothing. The adaptors still say they are firewalled. The meter shows that the router is working....shows a strong signal, but the connection to the computer cannot be established. Any ideas what may have happened? or any experience which might help me to figure this out? Like I said....she was actually on the internet when she installed the realplayer....right as the installation finished the adaptors icons got the red Xs and her internet stopped working. There are no firewalls.....can't figure out why it's saying they are firewalled. Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated. If I don't get this figured out soon, you may not be seeing me on this board and will be hearing about me as a missing person on the news....hahahahaha If worse comes to worse, I will take it into a computer repair place, but I don't want to do that if it's something silly....some configuration change that realplayer made during install. Thanks all! Hope someone can offer some hope.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGG,

Don't know if this will help but I had the same thing happen to one of my computers on my network. I re-installed the wireless and it fixed it. Might wanna give it a shot.

Russ
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean, re-installed the wireless? Do you mean the driver for the built in wireless adaptor? The external adaptor didn't come with any drivers.....just plugged it into the pcmci slot and it was good to go.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEVER MIND! My wife ended up fixing it this morning. She doesn't know how she did it...or what she did. I don't care. As long as SHE's happy....I'M happy.
Thanks Russ for your suggestion and thanks to anyone who was about to offer help.
Sigh.....

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wonderful world of the techno-freak... dont know what they do, but it works... so they take the credit... LOL Actually - one of the joys of working with Real Player, Quicktime, and Skype - is that they like to hi-jack things-- you and your wife - got the "Real Player" monkey - it can be 'barrels of fun".

Once you have taken the PC down... not just re-booted - RP starts to allow things to work again upon a new RP install. Wifi is just one of the many horrid things that is hi-jacked until RP is fully booted.

Make sure all of your "file types" are also in the original condition... RP like to take that over too... especially with audio file association - similar to how Quicktime does the hi-jack attempt upon each instance of starting QT..

Good luck.

Frank F
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI. once a month unplug your wirless transmitter and your modem. The modem, for some reason, collects cookies and needs to be reset. It takes about 45 seconds to clear it out. My Linksys wireless unit just needs to be re-booted everynow and again or it will not work. That one I cannot explain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: