VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: Avery Business Cards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Review: Avery Business Cards Reply with quote

All that talk about business cards got me motivated to design a new one for myself. I ended up deciding on the DYI route for now because I was not sure of the design and therefore was unwilling to commit to 250 or even 500 cards just yet. Plus, I'm an "on-demand" kind of guy and wanted some new cards now. As a result I chose the Avery product "Glossy Clean Edge Business Cards 8879" for ink jet printers. I thought I would share my results.

I designed my card in Photoshop. My last design was very plain jane and I wanted to jazz it up a bit. I know how many of you feel about using the microphone as an image, but in my view there is no better symbol of what we do. It's immediately identifiable so I chose to stick with it for now:

I started with the template provided on Vista Print's website. The image size is set at 1062 x 615 pixels for good print quality. This size also allows for bleed. Needed for a good print job at a printer, but as I found out later unnecessary for the Avery kit.

I added my creative in various layers saving the file as a .psd frequently as I went, then saved the image as a .tif file and imported it into Avery's Design Pro 5 Limited edition. It's free software available on the Avery site.

At this point I realized the bleed was unneeded as the Avery sheet does not allow for it. The sheet contains 10 cards per page in two columns placed right next to each other as you will see below. The software is very easy to use. Basically you create your master card, in this case I imported my Photoshop design, and copy it to the 10 different tabs that represent each card. In theory you could create 10 designs and print one of each, but I'm not sure why you would want to do this.

I returned to Photoshop, adjusted the size of my original design to fit the card exactly and resumed working with Design Pro 5. The software includes a print test to check your printer's calibration. I highly recommend you do this before printing on the glossy paper. You might also consider printing a test page on plain paper to check for alignment as well. Instructions on all of this are included in the Avery kit.

Finally it's time to print the first sheet. I have an Epson Stylus Photo R320 printer and selected the glossy paper option in my printer settings. Overall the cards came out looking great.

The hard part is the alignment. Even after checking my printer calibration, I managed to get this sheet slightly off. If you look at the actual card below you can see a thin black line on the right side of the card. That's supposed to be the left side of the card next to it.

This is my third sheet. The first one came out perfectly, but I don't have one to show you since I've already given all those cards away. The 2nd sheet was slightly off, and this one was the worst yet. I suspect because I rushed through the task wanting to get the picture for this post. Lesson learned, be patient.

I'm very pleased with the print quality. Between the Avery glossy card stock and the Epson printer the cards are great quality. Photo quality in fact, which is what I was going for.

The "Clean Edge" design really works. No perforations at all on the cards.

The cost is a factor. The Avery kit runs around $20 and includes enough sheets to make 200 cards. Not too bad, until you account for the ink. My design eats a lot of it, especially the black. As we've seen in other threads, there are businesses out there that can do a professional printing at a lower cost per card than this kit.

I'm not sure how durable the cards are yet. I did manage to smear a few, but I believe that's because I handled them before they were completely dry. I keep them in a metal case and so far have had no issues.

I would suggest sticking with a white background, or perhaps a solid color to minimize alignment issues. If I had a solid background I don't believe you could tell this sheet is a bit off. If you stick with the white that saves a bunch of ink as well.

Summary:

You can design your card from start to finish in the Avery software, or use a Word template, or Photoshop as I did. There are many options which make it an easy kit to use.

Unfortunately, the pictures here on the web don't really do the card justice. It really is photo quality. The way the light reflects off the microphone, and "Brian Hart Productions" at the top is remarkable. I got several compliments on the card as I handed it out over the weekend. "Must be expensive," one person said. I just shrugged and smiled.

I've also taken the card to two print shops price shopping. They were both very impressed with it for a "home job" if that says anything. Incidentally, neither local shop was able to come anywhere close to matching the prices we've seen posted in the other thread.

Overall I am very impressed with the kit. It allowed me to print out professional looking cards at home. Once I'm sure I am happy with my design I will send it to a pro shop to save costs, but I've decided to keep this kit on hand in case I run out of cards and need to make my own again before I can get them from the printer. Or if an emergency design change is needed I can accomplish it very quickly.

If you're looking to print your cards at home and you have a good quality ink jet printer then I recommend this kit.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to post this, Brian.

If I decid to print on my own, this post would be very handy - BOOKMARK. Not to mention, the images really help!

Looks good.

-Anthony

Last edited by anthonyVO on Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian-- thank you for the exhaustive play-by-play. Nice work!
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys. I hope this is helpful to somebody.

Long post, yeah. I've got a lot of time on my hands these days Get Lost and thanks to all the rain we've been getting the yard is too wet to mow so I thought I would share my experience.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have had some great experiences using the Avery business card kits. I did mine in Word - didn't have Photoshop at the time - and they came out great. I only had some professionally printed when I wanted something on the back of the card as well.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, Brian, Brian....awwww the card looks cool bro....but for $50.00 plus $6.00 shipping, you can use my pal in Cleveland and get the U87 of business cards.....front and back, full color, 130lb stock, aqueous coating....you can't beat that deal.

Okay, I am throwing in the white flag on the business card war.....no more from me on the subject.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben,
I know. That's why I said that the cost is a factor. Believe me, I've got that thread with your buddy's info bookmarked. I just needed to print some out and make sure I like them before I commit to a big order.

On that note, I've thought about the backside thing. I have no idea what I would put on there. I don't have a slogan or catch phrase (perhaps I should). Perhaps I should say "Present this card at time of service for 15% off services and a free hamburger."

Those of you that print on the back side of your cards: What do you use it for?
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the info, Brian. I've used the non-glossy cards and the perforations (or lack thereof) really impressed me. I'd have no problem using them again.
VO-BB Member #59
Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what I'd put on the backside of my VO business card. My little slogan in my signature line,

"French - The Voice of a Nation"

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some folks who put "WRONG SIDE" on the back of theirs... Undecided
VO-BB Member #59
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: