VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound proofing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuavaGuy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Sound proofing Reply with quote

Aloha Gang!

I have been having trouble with ambient noise and street noise. Everything I have read suggests room treatment as the first step.

While researching room treatment, I came across this article on soundproofing. http://www.soundproofing101.com/index.htm

I found it to be quite informative, at least to me, and it may help you too in building your studio.

Chuck Burke
Maui Hawaii
CurtZHP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything you stick to or hang from the walls isn't going to "soundproof" the room. It will only deal with the quality of the sound within the room (i.e. slap echoes, boominess, standing waves, etc.).

If any treatment is sufficiently thick and heavy, it could be applied to the side of the room where the offending outside noise enters and that might help.

In practice, true soundproofing usually has to be designed into the space during initial construction, depending on where that space is. Example: If you're building a studio in the basement, then the biggest problem is foot traffic overhead. If the basement already has a low ceiling (and most of them do), there's not a whole lot you can do to block all noise from above. By the time you build adequate insulation and isolation into the ceiling, you've likely lost a foot of overhead space!

If your space is on the main level (like in a garage or spare room), one suggestion is to build a "room-within-a-room." Since that eats up a ton of space, you could scale it back a bit by simply adding a "wall-within-a-wall." Build an additional wall in front of the wall through which the outside noise enters the room. Make sure there's an air space between the two walls. Pack the inner wall with dense insulation (thick fiberglass or mineral wool) and use a layer of Homasote over the framing and insulation, then cover the Homasote with standard drywall.
whalewtchr
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could attempt to put fiberglass in your windows and cover with a theater curtain--it will be minimal. Sound proof doors can get expensive. You may want to look into a whisper room (they can get pricey) but it keeps the sound out and in. It's pretty quiet in my neighborhood at 3am.
GuavaGuy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough I DO have theater curtains over my window! ( insert laugh here)......the room is mostly dead, except for the occasional motorcycle.

I plan on building a corner booth..so some of the ideas at soundproof 101 will come in handy.....
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another great site full of important sound-related into. Very thorough and informative!
FaffCon
TalkerTees
GuavaGuy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Asnively..... good information for those that need it.
mstaji
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Green Glue Reply with quote

Here is an article I wrote about a newish product called green glue:

http://www.voiceemporium.com/archives/01/green-glue/

The idea is that it is a substance that will absorb sound in the room... and so isolate you from the outside... and in turn absorb the sound coming from outside and isolate you from that.

Its very much like a Caulk and it even comes in tubes like it.

take a look at the article... it might be helpful.
twitter: @mahmoudtaji
The Voice of Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a "beginner" I can't say I have a LOT to offer on this topic, but I HAVE found one way to avoid household noise in my case...Do most most of my recording after everyone in the house is asleep!

Most of my podcasts are done between 10pm and Midnight! Hard to ask my kids to keep it down when I get a chance to sit down at the mic on the weekends.

Eats in to the sleep time, but at this point willing to sacrifice that to keep on my push to make this a living.
glenspot
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On thursday morning at 6am the garbage truck comes through.

I keep waiting to get a script that says:

SFX: Garbage truck backing up and unloading dumpster in background.

For THAT I am completely prepared.
sounddguy
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound proofing Reply with quote

GuavaGuy wrote:
Aloha Gang!

I have been having trouble with ambient noise and street noise. Everything I have read suggests room treatment as the first step.

Take a look at Building a Recording Studio - Jeff Cooper
(Synergy Group, Inc - 1999 | Originally published by Recording Institute of America Press, Inc, 1978
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: