VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inquiries
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, but then "day-ta" and "daa-ta" are two different things. The Military loves to use both - in different ways.

Each region has their own pronounciation of different words - such as those previously mentioned - I find it always depends upon the mood or tone of the copy.

Is ul-ways or all-ways? Moun-ain or mount-ain? Off-en or oft-en? The second on in each set is correct, but the first - may be acceptable. Feb-u-ary or Feb-ru-ary? Lie-bar-e or lie-brar-e.... and the list goes on and on....

Isn't English fun?

fRanK F
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in North Texas it's DAY-ter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aluminum and Jaguar are two of my favorites. I had a British roommate for a while and sometimes I pronounce words like he does without thinking about it. People here in NC look at me funny.

2 more:

Route

Armoire - I prefer "that big closet looking thing"
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I default to IN'-quiries.
My instinct is to go with day-ta, but I will sometimes ask the director what (s)he prefers.

One that I almost fear seeing in a script is succinct. Until a few years ago, I had only ever heard it (and thus pronounced it) as SUH-SINKED'. In fact, the first time I heard it pronounced SUCK-SINKED', I looked it up. To my dismay, I saw that was the "correct" pronunciation. I had been wrong all these years.

Well, you know what? I still use SUH-SINKED' and no one has ever corrected me on it.
Doc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American Heritage Dictionary is the preferred resource for pronunciation by most English teachers/professors. That's because it breaks down words phonetically and diacritically, then lists their pronunciations in order of preference based upon American English. There's usually (if not always) more than 1 pronunciation choice and each listed is acceptable.

Funny - I seem to say most of the words bandied about here differently. However, I learned to pronounce them with the American Heritage Dictionary. But, that was several decades ago. Maybe I ought to look at the latest edition?? (At LEAST to ascertain that the pronunciations I use are still even listed.) LOL
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then we frown upon those who come to the U.S. and can't speak the language - or have trouble speaking it... WE can't even get it right.
LOL

I love Frank's "often vs. of-en" that one has always made me laugh. According to the AHD website, we lost the "t" in the 15th century, and because of the rise of public education in the 19th century, it has crept back in because of a greater awareness of spelling.

Yet "soften" is still "sof-en" and "listen" is "lis-en".

Me now confused, mon!

-Anthony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: