VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first Voice123 gig
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skynet74

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford to Audition for an entire year and barely get a nibble.... then feel free and waste your time. Based on my experience, Voice123 is an excellent way to gather Free Demo material, but won't result in much else. All that time I wasted on auditions got me nowhere. But since my Premium membership expired I've made more contacts and more money than I did the entire year I was with voice123. Bottom line for me, Voice123 Premium membership was not worth it. The only job I got from them was a direct contact which I did not even need to be a Premium member to receive!

Now I am not saying that these guys don't work for ANYBODY. But what I am saying is that based on my experience and based on the experiences of people here, Voice123 does not work all that well for most people. To many people auditioning and not enough jobs to go around.
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skynet74 wrote:
To many people auditioning and not enough jobs to go around.

just like in the real world Shocked
Ken Jackson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice 123 has an interesting history. They just "celebrated" their third anniversary and have grown perhaps, and this is opinion, a little beyond their suspenders...

I'm listed there, as well as several other sites. I got my first gig through V123 within three days after I first signed up. Since then it has been hit and miss - mostly miss. My "answered" counter for the past 2 months is about 650 replies.

The thing with V123 is they don't seem to spend a lot of time "qualifying" potential clients. The vast majority of their postings range from "Please quote" to under a hundred bucks. There was one not long ago where this "idiot,” and I'm being polite actually, posting a gig for the "second" time with info like: "If you can follow instructions this time do so - if not - do NOT reply to this posting". He then went on the SPELL out exactly how the talent was to reply, every finite detail, and REQUIRED a great deal of very unusual information - such as "Describe in detail your studio.” Well, I did... I keyed my first mic 43 years ago and today am retired and have built from scratch a studio many of the stations I've worked for over the years would die for - or I would hope they would. I spent about 5 paragraphs detailing everything from the technical specs for my "sound proof and static electricity free" studio to the serial numbers from a dozen pieces of hardware. The at the bottom I closed it with - "Bottom line - sir - you can't afford me!!"

What's my point in all this?

Voice 123 apparently thought NOTHING of allowing this jerk to belittle those of us who pride themselves in PROFESSIONALISM and I let 'em have for it!! The email I sent them is still smoking!!

One senior manager at another site I list on refers to V123 as a "Cattle Call.”

In their defense I have to say that they actually phoned me, apologized, and went on to explain what strides they were taking to improve the image.

With V123 it boils down to a fact in the VO business many "Voice Talents" don’t think about. A client posts, more often than not having NO idea what response they're about to get - they are INUNDATED with a few hundred replies within an hour - and they simply do what you or I would do - they listen to perhaps the first dozen or so - then maybe skip at random around the LONG list, and in short order make a decision - and NOT ALWAYS the best one.

Just stick it out. Persistence will win when all else fails. It is NOT how great your voice is anymore - it is simply do you fit the clients particular expectations at that exact moment!

Good Luck and best wishes,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: