VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Am Pissed!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Harrison wrote:
Katie begins the cast with "Good eve-neen,"

I hate to mention it, but Walter did that, too. (His was actually a little more like "Good eve-neem.")
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice it back when I heard Walter on a regular basis. But I just played part of a moon documentary he narrated years ago and, yeah, every now and then there was an 'een.' Most occurrences of 'ing' were pronounced as 'ing,' though.

(For those just joining in: words that end with 'ing' are being pronounced as 'een.' For example, 'talking' becomes 'talk-een,' etc.)

I couldn't care less if lay people mispronounce words. But professionals? Getting words right is part of our job. The worst offender I hear today - the Queen of Een - is CBS' Erin Moriarty ("later, on Sunday Morneen"), followed closely by NBC's Tom Costello. There are many other broadcast journalists (and an increasing number of voice-over talent) who lazily mispronounce 'ing' as 'een.' There is one self-proclaimed though less-than-qualified voice-over coach who thinks - in his words - "it sounds cute."

Oddly, though, some are capable of pronouncing it properly when 'ing' appears in the middle of a word, such as 'Washington.' The problem is easily addressed, though, with a little effort. They're just placing their tongue in the wrong position. To my ears, when a professional who speaks for a living lazily mispronounces words, it lessens their credibility. She's a very good journalist, but when she does it, I imagine Katie Couric with her thumb in her mouth, clutching her blankey. "Good eve-neen."

And, for those who pronounce 'ask' as 'axe:' Just say 'ass kisser,' but stop after the 'k.'

To quote Mister Rogers: "I knew you could do it."

"It's spelled Raymond Luxury-Yach-t, but it's pronounced 'Throat-Warbler Mangrove'".

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that often distinguishes people who have been told "you have a nice voice; you should do voice overs" from those of us who actually do voice overs is that we exercise (or should exercise) proper diction. It's not even a difficult skill to practice, but there are those who just don't.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
johnmilesprod
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I couldn't care less if lay people mispronounce words. But professionals? Getting words right is part of our job. "

Try convincing the millions who have watched and admired Tom Brokaw and Barbara Walters who have regularly been lampooned on shows like SNL for their "marble mouth" pronunications/diction. Go figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: