VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

And so it Begins: Pandora Coming to a Car Near You

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: And so it Begins: Pandora Coming to a Car Near You Reply with quote

Coming soon - based on the reported SF Music Summit comments of Pandora Chief Technology Officer Tom Conrad. A bunch of Pandora Internet radio fans already take their service into the car with them, using their cell phones. Turns out Pandora is having conversations with a number of automakers about having it built in, and Ford's probably in the lead on that. As OrbitCast says, one of Pandora founder Tim Westergren's major targets is Sirius XM. It's ironic - when Mel Karmazin was running Infinity and then CBS Radio, he said no matter what else happened in the workplace or at home, that radio still had a monopoly in the car. Then he joined Sirius and touted the virtues of having 100+ channels available via a special satellite radio. But now - he's facing some earnest competition from an even newer technology. Of course it's not just Pandora. The installation of subscription wireless broadband means the entire Internet is available.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to Pandora since 2006 and it is incredible! I'm glad it will be able to touch the masses even more...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received that article from a program director friend of mine. He and others in terrestrial radio see internet radio as the - possible - final nail in the coffin. When a person can dial in their favorite Norwegian polka station while driving through Paducah, Kentucky...how does one compete with that?

I never thought of hooking up my smartphone to my stereo. Gonna have to try that. Wink
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, Dan!
What a great idea... and welcome competition.

Is Sirius still in the red?

-Anthony
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to internet music/radio for years.
But....
GREAT radio is not just a source for music.
I actually like LOCAL traffic reports, news, concert info, entertainment, companionship, and yes, even some commercials.

But, sadly, there's just not much great radio anymore.
bransom
DC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio has become like mall shopping: Go anywhere in the country and everything is exactly the same. Yes, there is smidge of local content that changes (usually just the names of the clubs or the car dealers) but beyond that? Complete homogeneous formats and delivery, excepting a few odd public stations scattered about.

As for internet radio, this past summer we drove 10 hours from St. Louis to a beach house in Michigan and listened to internet radio pretty much the whole way via my iPhone. I think the future is now.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddly enough, my favorite norwegian polka station is IN paducah, kentucky.

Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to Pandora in the car on my iPhone for quite awhile as well...and strangely enough...the only way I can listen to the station that I work for is by streaming Flycast on my iphone.....I'm out of range of the Boston station (WAAF) when I'm home in Connecticut.

While the music-only services like Pandora have a place, they're not particularly well or thoughtfully programmed. There still is some good radio out there...mostly in major markets where there's still alittle bit of budget left.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back this Arizona boy was the imaging voice for a Hawaiian music Internet station based in England. The station's long gone, but I think I still have a few cans of Spam left from my last retainer payment.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Jodi Krangle
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to Pandora for a little while ... until they stopped allowing people to listen to it outside of the States due to licensing issues. I really wish they'd get that figured out. Kinda frustrating (to say the least).

How does sound influence us?
Check out the Audio Branding Podcast
@ audiobrandingpodcast.com
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump because of new information -

The BMW Mini is about to debut the Mini Connected feature for iPhone and other smartphones. Basically, connect your iPhone and you have access to any radio station on the internets.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O wrote:
When a person can dial in their favorite Norwegian polka station while driving through Paducah, Kentucky...how does one compete with that?)

By being local, something most stations do a horrible job at. Provide the local news, weather, traffic etc like we've said but there's more to it than that. I worked under a great program director once who talked about how it's our job to make the station sound like our community... make it BE a valuable part of the community. In this case he said make the sound of the station uniquely Mobile. Everything from the imaging to the music to the news/weather/traffic AND the commercials. He's back there now and doing a pretty good job with it given the current owners. Of course they fired me and I'm still bitter about that. Get Lost

I haven't listened in a while so things may have changed but KBCO in Boulder used to do a great job of this. You can listen to them online.

The one segment that does a decent job of this overall is talk radio... well and sports to some extent. Sure they carry lots of syndicated programming but most of them in decent markets provide enough local content to keep the station grounded in the community.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: