VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GoldWave Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: GoldWave Question Reply with quote

Any Goldwave users:
I've had GoldWave on my DAW for a few weeks now, and like it well enough, but I can't for the life of me figure out one thing...maybe it doesn't DO this:
Listening back to a recording, I'd like for the display to pan automatically to the next view (following the cursor) as it plays. As it is now, I have to pause the playback, drag the button on the bottom to the next view, then hit play again.
This seems esp. vexing in a "zoomed-in" view for editing. Sony SoundForge does this automatically, maybe GoldWave doesn't?

any help appreciated,

Dave C.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
donrandall

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - I have used Goldwave for years and I am sold on it. I have a couple of other programs that I don't use - I just don't like 'em well enough.

I am not quite sure what it is that you are trying to do, though. It almost sounds like you are wanting to jump from one track to another, is that right? Or are you trying to find another way to go from seeing the full view of the wav to a zoomed in view?

If you tell me what it is you are trying to do - not what you are doing to get there, but what it is you are trying to accomplish - I may be able to help.

By the way, Goldwave has an excellent forum, and Chris - the main most head man - often checks in and offers his assistance. Goldwave is by the far, the best software I have ever bought and is by far the quickest and easiest to get help when ya have a problem.
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,
Thanks for your offer of help.

I'll try to state it in a different way.

I've recorded something that is, say, 5 minutes long.

I have the waveform of the first :30 on display on the screen.

I hit "play" and the cursor moves to the right, as I'm listening to the first :30. Then, when the view I have of the first :30 is played out, the cursor continues on...along with the sound...but the screen keeps showing the first :30, instead of moving along to the next :30 (or whatever zoom value I have entered).

In Sony SoundForge and ProTools, the program automatically moves the display to the current soundwave playing. GoldWave -- as far as I've been able to see, anyway -- does not automatically adjust the display to show the soundwave of the sound you're hearing.

I'm not trying to jump to another track...I'm not trying to zoom to a different time scale, I just want the program to ALWAYS display the waveform I'm currently listening to...as it moves along.

Capice?
Dave C.
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
donrandall

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man...do I feel like a dope! Duh.....

Okay, here's whatcha gotta do. Look just above the sound window, you have two (2) tool bars, an upper and a lower. In the upper tool bar near the middle, you can select "All". Doing this will give you the entire window and you will be able to watch the marker throughout it's journey.

Be sure you have selected "Bounded To Selection" (Options> Control> Properties> Record> Bounded To Selection). Otherwise, your sound window may act a bit goofy. The "Unbounded" selection has it's place, but it will confuse things if you use it when you don't need it.

You can select a smaller part of a long file and get a more visual definition of the wav by highlighting the portion you want to work in and then zooming in. I prefer to use the method that allows me to click the left mouse button and sweep the portion I want, I can then select the "In" button from the tool bar to zoom in - or the "Out" button to back out. I believe this can also be done using the mouse wheel, but I have never even tried. Once you select a portion of the total sound wav, you will spawn two arrows below the sound table - one on the left and one on the right. Using these will move the wave left or right.

Here is more, from the online manual, found by clicking on the "Help" button in Goldwave:

GoldWave provides several ways of setting the selection. You can:

* Use the standard click-and-drag method used in most other Windows programs.
* Click the right mouse button to display a menu where you can choose Set Start Marker or Set Finish Marker.
* Click-and-drag the left mouse button over one of the cyan markers to drag it (useful for precise adjustments of the end points).
* Click-and-drag using the right mouse button, then choose Select from the menu that appears.
* Use the Edit | Marker | Set command.
* Use the Edit | Channel submenu to select one channel of a stereo file.

If you just click the left mouse button without dragging, the start marker is moved. If you just click the right mouse button, a context menu appears, which can be used to start playback at any position. If you click-and-drag with the right mouse button, you can play or zoom in on that area without altering the current selection.
skynet74

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use GoldWave Exclusively. I'm comfortable with it and it does exactly what I need it too. Sound Forge is also good. I have used it in the past but it didn't seem to have the ease of use that Goldwave does. What I do like about Sound Forge though is that it has more Audio effects. However for what I need at the moment Goldwave is just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: